Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
dolphin (resized).JPG
IMG_3236 (resized).jpg
IMG_3233 (resized).jpg
IMG_3235 (resized).jpg
IMG_3232 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mark532011.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I picked up a Chicago Coin Dolphin and it works pretty well, except it won't reset. I tracked it down to the "#9 Slide Bank Reset Relay Coil" not firing. When I manually push the relay the game resets and it starts right up. A check with the meter shows no voltage coming to it.#9 coil#9 coil

Looking at the schematic, the "Slide Bank Reset Coil" should go to switch E2 on the reset motor and have a black-with-yellow wire between the coil and the switch and a white-with-black on the other side of the switch:schematicschematic

and when I check the switch it looks good and has the right wires:switchswitch

but the schematic shows a direct connection of the black-with-yellow wire from the switch to the coil and while the wire is there on the switch, on the coil I have a orange-with-green wire.

My question, am I looking at the schematic the right way?

On the other side of the switch from the coil, there is also the normally-open switch labeled "Slide Bank Reset RE." inline but I don't know what that is or where to check it.

#2 5 years ago

update: I am pretty sure I was looking at the wrong coil. The schematic shows it "slide bank reset coil" with black-yellow and yellow. The coil on the large bank of switches that perform all the reset functions has those wires so I think that may be the one shown on the schematic.

So now I don't know where "#9 Slide Bank Reset Relay Coil" is connected to as I can't find it on the schematic at all

IMG_3236 (resized).jpgIMG_3236 (resized).jpg
#4 5 years ago

Update: The schematic shows that the "Slide Bank Reset Re(lay)" has white/blue on one side and yellow/red on the other. In checking #9 I can see that the wires do match for the center switch so that appears to be the "Slide Bank Reset Relay" but I still can't find the coil that triggers it - yellow on one side and orange/green on the other.

Any help would be appreciated!

I've got the schematic at: https://butlerfam.smugmug.com/PublicPics/i-4f9wk6Q/A
I've also got a video of the process at: https://butlerfam.smugmug.com/PublicPics/i-CRLHQZL/A

#7 5 years ago

thanks guys. I will check the reels, see if I can figure out how the chicago coin ones reset.

#8 5 years ago

Thanks to you guys, I made significant progress. The score wheels were in moderately poor shape and I think the contacts were not making secure contact

3 weeks later
#9 5 years ago

I've screwed something up and cannot find it. The Dolphin was working great, the wheels were working correctly so I moved on. I took off the pf and cleaned it up and put it all back togetherand thought I was in the home stretch. But now the 1000's reel is locked in use.

It works correctly, if I manually move all the score wheels and hit start, they all reset back to zero, stop moving and the game starts and plays just fine. However, the 1000's relay coil is locked on continuously and of course the 1000's wheel won't score.

I've checked the contacts on the score wheel a dozen times, I've checked the contacts on the player unit a dozen times, I've even pulled the reset bank and carefully checked each of them but I can't find it.

Looking at the schematic, https://butlerfam.smugmug.com/PublicPics/i-4f9wk6Q/A
its difficult to tell where the problem might be, it is resetting correctly and stopping at zero and the game starts so I don't think its the reset system, but there must be something that is not opening when the reset is done.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Mark

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

From your description, start by unplugging the playfield to see whether the problem is there.

You are a genius!
I unplugged the playfield and verified it started up just fine. Checking each contact, I found the left outland contact bent inward. adjusting it and the game comes up just fine!

thank you

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mark532011.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dolphin-reset-coil-question?tu=mark532011 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.