(Topic ID: 296586)

Dolly Parton Power (AS-2518-18) and Solenoid (AS-2518-22)

By browrp

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by BigAl56
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

XsOsConnector (resized).jpg
IMG_1285 (resized).jpg
IMG_1284 (resized).jpg
IMG_1283 (resized).jpg
IMG_1274 (resized).jpg
IMG_1282 (resized).jpg
IMG_1281 (resized).jpg
IMG_1273 (resized).jpg
IMG_1271 (resized).jpg
IMG_1270 (resized).jpg
IMG_1269 (resized).jpg
Drawing (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider browrp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I picked up a Dolly Parton some time ago and started working on it. I discovered that a previous owner did some modifications on it and wanted to find out if anyone knows what the heck they were doing. I'm not sure if they had attempted some sort of mods on the solenoid board and rectifier board, it's not pretty... My initial take is that I should figure out how the machine was originally wired for these two boards and take it back to the way it shipped from the factory unless there is a reason for some/any of it... I'll post some pics below. The first one is a drawing that I found in the coin box when I got the pin.

Drawing (resized).jpgDrawing (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Pics of the AS-2518-22 solenoid driver board and J3 connection.

IMG_1269 (resized).jpgIMG_1269 (resized).jpgIMG_1270 (resized).jpgIMG_1270 (resized).jpg
#3 2 years ago

Pics of the AS-2518-18 wiring mess J1 connector.

IMG_1271 (resized).jpgIMG_1271 (resized).jpgIMG_1273 (resized).jpgIMG_1273 (resized).jpgIMG_1274 (resized).jpgIMG_1274 (resized).jpgIMG_1281 (resized).jpgIMG_1281 (resized).jpgIMG_1282 (resized).jpgIMG_1282 (resized).jpg
#4 2 years ago

AS-2518-18 J3 Connection... I'm not sure why they decided not to use a connector but it will get repined with a new connector once I sort out this mess.

IMG_1283 (resized).jpgIMG_1283 (resized).jpg
#5 2 years ago

Also it looks like they took a white wire (not sure where that goes yet) and soldered it to one of the legs of the 25ohm 5W resistor...

IMG_1284 (resized).jpgIMG_1284 (resized).jpgIMG_1285 (resized).jpgIMG_1285 (resized).jpg
#7 2 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

You need to change out some connectors.
On solenoid board - replace plug on J3 and ditch that old IDC type connector.
New plug = Molex 22-01-2257 (obsolete) or CS100-25-LR.
You can find CS100-25-LR, contacts (08-52-0123) and key (15-04-9209) here:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=164
The wire that he spliced onto belongs at location 10 within the new plug.

G-P-E You're correct. I think the rest of the wires for the J3 Connector are out of place as well. I went through the Archived Ads on here to see what other people's Dolly Parton Solenoid J3 pinout-colors looked like for comparison and they don't match my J3 pinout.

For comparison I took a look at my X's & O's machine which uses the same solenoid driver and the solenoid J3 pinout-colors matched what I see on other people's Dolly Parton machines (the pic below is my #X's & O's solenoid J3 connector). I searched through the pinwiki.com links you sent above for pinout colors but I didn't see it, are those published online for this board as well as the other boards (MPU, Sound Board, etc.)?

XsOsConnector (resized).jpgXsOsConnector (resized).jpg
#10 2 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

You can find the color codes within the Dolly Parton manual, sheet 45.
If you don't have the manual - you can either buy one (Pinball Resource?) or download a soft copy from ipdb.org
Yes, the wiring on yours looks pretty buggered. First wire is see on your board is the wire at pin 1 -- white or color "50". Dolly Parton manual says this goes to pin 3. But pin 3 already has a gray/blue (92) wire installed... No doubt the opposite end of these wires are going to the wrong places as well.
Incidentally, Pin 1 of J3... I cannot find anything in the schematics of the solenoid driver board that uses pin 1.
Only easy wire to spot is the missing (damaged) pin 10 should be the white/brown wire that is jumpered to the capacitor lead on your board.
No easy fix, you will need to go through all of your wiring *at both ends* and untangle this mess.

Thanks Ed! I found it, I'd say I can't believe I missed it but I'm not surprised I missed it, there's a lot in the schematics that I'm getting used to. It looks like I'm going to be spending some time this weekend and next sorting out the wires. I'm hoping that the other end of those wires go back to their original/proper location and whoever repined J3 just messed up the connector and nothing else. I'll be ordering those parts you mentioned above as well as some new caps for the solenoid board this evening.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, TN
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider browrp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dolly-parton-power-as-2518-18-and-solenoid-as-2518-22?tu=browrp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.