IMG_1821.jpg
IMG_1810.jpg
IMG_18112.jpg
IMG_1812.jpg
IMG_1811.jpg
IMG_1810.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello!

I got my hands on a dirt cheap Dolly Parton pinball machine yesterday, the seller told me it had some connection problem somewhere which made it not function properly, and to show me tried to start it (it just made a low durr sound and did not light up).

Now i have it in my pinball room, and i reconnected every cable and and as soon as i flip the on-off switch, it takes out the fuse for my pinballroom right away.

What are my first targets to fix this? i checked the fusebox inside the pinball and 2 fuses was dead, fuse F4 (5AMP 250Volt) and fuse F5 (10AMP 250Volt), on the rectifier board fuse section.

IMG_1810.jpgIMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1811.jpgIMG_1811.jpg

#2 8 years ago

It's blowing your circuit breaker? Check the power cord?

#3 8 years ago

Power cord.

Follow it all the way in to the fuse.

At least it should be fused before it gets to the transformer.

Just disconnect it there and put a new one in place before you plug it in again

You can pull all the fuses and start with that.

Plug it in.

If the house doesn't blow then add the fuse that allows line voltage (house power) to the transformer.

And go on from there.

Good luck.

#4 8 years ago

Well, i followed the cord and it arrives at this metal box, could that be some sort of a (ancient) fuse? i unscrewed it to read the text.

IMG_1812.jpgIMG_1812.jpg

#5 8 years ago

Btw, what system is Dolly Parton? i tried to look for what type of system it is so i can search for parts, but i cant find anything.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Btw, what system is Dolly Parton? i tried to look for what type of system it is so i can search for parts, but i cant find anything.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=698

#7 8 years ago

so its a...Bally AS-2518-35? Ive looked there but where does it say which "system" Dolly Parton uses? Ya know, like Williams use for example, system 11?

#9 8 years ago

Also, i may have found the issue, it seems to me that the 4 cables going to the Rectifier Board looked like they had been switched around, the ones the former owner had marked as "2 lower pin connectors under the fuses" with notes fit much much better on the two upper pin connectors, so i switched them around and got a much better fit.

Now i need a new 20A fuse and i can do a new test.

IMG_18112.jpgIMG_18112.jpg

#10 8 years ago

I call that a Bally "first generation" SS system. It was their first released Solid State pinball operating system.

Yes, they introduced a sound board versus chimes on the earlier versions, but it still has five individual six digit displays.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Also, i may have found the issue, it seems to me that the 4 cables going to the Rectifier Board looked like they had been switched around, the ones the former owner had marked as "2 lower pin connectors under the fuses" with notes fit much much better on the two upper pin connectors, so i switched them around and got a much better fit.
Now i need a new 20A fuse and i can do a new test.

IMG_18112.jpg

Use a wiring diagram and verify the proper color wires go to the correct pins on the Rectifier board. The proper connectors mate perfectly. Three connectors, all with different number of terminals and a keying pin to prevent incorrect connection. Incorrect connections can place 230 VDC where it does not belong and can fry every IC on the logic boards.
Just sayin'...

#12 8 years ago

Well, previous owner had very carefully marked every cable he had pulled out for me, except that the 2 cables that where connected to the Rectifier board where already pinned on the upper parts and wasnt part of the main cable that goes down into the cabinet, so he had only marked the other 2 that he had taken off the Rectifier board (it is hard to explain in english for me, but since now that i switched those 4 cables around, everything seems to fit perfectly, before that i always had 2 pins "over" when setting the cables and they didnt fit properly).

Which makes me suspect that those cables have been put in wrong when he had it and prob caused the problem that made him sell it cheap to me, he explained to me that it started blowing fuses suddenly and he never found out what did it.

And all of the cables are "one-way-only" fit and also been marked, i would have to force one in if it wasnt on its proper place, whichi never do.

Im gonna hunt down some fuses tomorrow monday, since i wanna be prepared for my second test.

#13 8 years ago

Often when the game instantly trips the breaker (or in an old home, blows a fuse), it's the MOV that is installed above the line filter:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Often when the game instantly trips the breaker (or in an old home, blows a fuse), it's the MOV that is installed above the line filter:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide

That thread was actually very informative, thanks!

Now i have a clue on what to look at.

#15 8 years ago

Also, 20 AMP fuse in a pinball? is that really true?

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Also, 20 AMP fuse in a pinball? is that really true?

Depends on the voltage.

Some general illumination fuses are 20A at 6v.

-

But for the power inlet fuse for the whole machine, 3 or 4 amps is all you need.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Depends on the voltage.
Some general illumination fuses are 20A at 6v.
-
But for the power inlet fuse for the whole machine, 3 or 4 amps is all you need.

According to the Dolly manual fuse F5 on the Rectifier require a "20AMP, 32V, 3AG".

Anyway, i checked the electrical cable that plugs in the wall, it looks modern and have the European standard pins, no wear or tear on it the whole way to the filter box, so i will check into that MOV thing (but i will plug Dolly up through a multiextension cable tomorrow after i get some new fuses, to for now fix and "sudden surge" problems.)

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

According to the Dolly manual fuse F5 on the Rectifier require a "20AMP, 32V, 3AG".

Yes, that's what I'm talking about.

Quoted from Luzur:

so i will check into that MOV thing

You can check if it's shorted with your meter.

#19 8 years ago

Alright, got it to not drop the house fuse, and it starts up but it only lights the playfield and a couple of lamps on the backbox, and it feels like it wants to play something in the speaker but it just goes "Blupp", kinda.

I filmed the startup for ya, so you can see for yourself:

https://vid.me/MUdQ

#20 8 years ago

when you turn on your machine count how many flashes the LED does on the mpu board

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

when you turn on your machine count how many flashes the LED does on the mpu board

the lamp on the board dont flash at all on Start-up, and seems to be weakly glowing, and the self-diagnostics button dont react at all.

the LED is in the red ring.

IMG_1810.jpgIMG_1810.jpg

#22 8 years ago

OK, you have got a non-booting MPU board.

Do you have a meter?

Can you solder?

Do you have desoldering tools?

-

Job #1 is to test all the voltages on the SDB board (the one with the giant heat sink). Look for the little test points marked TP1, TP4.....

Job #2 is to test all the voltages on the MPU board (the big one on the upper left)

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing

#23 8 years ago

Do you have a meter?

Can you solder?

Do you have desoldering tools?

-

Job #1 is to test all the voltages on the SDB board (the one with the giant heat sink). Look for the little test points marked TP1, TP4.....

Job #2 is to test all the voltages on the MPU board (the big one on the upper left)

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing

#24 8 years ago

my dolly "blurps" checks itself and is good to go in about 2 seconds, so it's def. not booting. pushing the coin eject or start button wont elicit a response from the game, since there's no freeplay mode. someone cut off the nicad battery, but I also see a jumper. the playfield looks decent, If this is your first machine, I would start with a new ultimate MPU. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/ULTIMATE

#25 8 years ago

I think he is in Sweden, so let's make sure he even has power before we start swapping out expensive MPU boards (and expensive shipping from the USA).

#26 8 years ago

"Do you have a meter?"

Yes

"Can you solder?"

abit, but not an expert

"Do you have desoldering tools?"

Except the "solder vacuum" (dunno what you call it overseas, sucks up solder), no.

"Job #1 is to test all the voltages on the SDB board (the one with the giant heat sink). Look for the little test points marked TP1, TP4....."

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing"

Quoted from vid1900:

I think he is in Sweden, so let's make sure he even has power before we start swapping out expensive MPU boards (and expensive shipping from the USA).

And here i thought the "Å" and that litle flagball right by my Avatar was clues enough

And i found a swedish site that sells Bally MPU boards too

http://www.free-play.se/produkter/elektronik/elektronikkort/75-84-ballystern-mpu-board.html

http://www.free-play.se/produkter/elektronik/elektronikkort/75-84-ballystern-led-lamp-driver.html

http://www.free-play.se/produkter/elektronik/elektronikkort/75-84-ballystern-solenoid-driver-board.html

no "Rectifier" though, but since things light up im ure that thing works atleast.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

And here i thought the "Å" and that litle flagball right by my Avatar was clues enough

The flagball did it for me.

-

Quoted from Luzur:

no "Rectifier" though, but since things light up im ure that thing works atleast.

The playfield and backbox lights would run even if 99% of the rectifier board was burned up.

Test all the test points on the Rectifier board:

TP1 - (4.6 - 6.4VDC) this is protected by the F1 fuse, and is Bridge Rectifier #1. This supplies voltage to the switched lamps.

TP2 - (160-250VDC) This is protected by fuse F2, and is the group of diodes CR1-4. This supplies the voltage to the displays.

TP3 - (11-16VDC) Fuse F3, Bridge Rectifier #2. This latter becomes the 5VDC that powers the game's logic circuits on the Solenoid Driver Board.

TP4 - (6.3 to 8VAC) Fuse F5. This is the GI lighting circuit.

TP5 - (40-49VDC ) Fuse F4, Bridge Rectifier #3. This powers all the coils in the game.

#28 8 years ago

Are those the volts they are supposed to read?

#29 8 years ago

Yes.

There can be a little variation (like 40 to 49 VDC for TP5), but you should be pretty close.

#30 8 years ago

almost forgot,

"Job #1 is to test all the voltages on the SDB board (the one with the giant heat sink). Look for the little test points marked TP1, TP4....."

whats volts should those run on, and what do they all do? also, i cannot find TP1 on the manual schematics, its prob in a very obvious place, but alas..

#31 8 years ago

SDB:

TP1 = +5 vdc
TP2 = +190 vdc
TP3 = +5 vdc
TP4 = +230 vdc
TP5 = +12 vdc

TP1 is next to the J3 connector.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

SDB:
TP1 = +5 vdc
TP2 = +190 vdc
TP3 = +5 vdc
TP4 = +230 vdc
TP5 = +12 vdc
TP1 is next to the J3 connector.

Thanks alot, im writing this up so i'll know when i start checking through them all tomorrow.

And yeah, i found it, DOH! im a total newbie on reading schematics

1 week later
#33 8 years ago

Ok, measured both the boards now.

Results:

SDB:

TP1= 4.1
TP2=189.2
TP3= 4.0
TP4=240
TP5=9.7

RECITIFER

TP1=5.9
TP2=176
TP3=9.8
TP4= 6.7 VAC
TP5=43.4

btw, values for these, do you have them also?

IMG_1821.jpgIMG_1821.jpg
IMG_1822.jpgIMG_1822.jpg

#34 8 years ago

Bros!

I found the error! the cable (red triangle on the picture of the backbox) that goes to the SDB card from the rectifier had a burned pinsocket, which i cleaned up and which seems to still be abit faulty, cuz i have to fiddle it to get the game going.

So now im gonna switch out that cable contact and also fix the switch for one of the sideway pointgivers (i think they are called), what kind of diode is supposed to sit on the EOS switch? mine is missing it seems, burned or popped off.

So atleast i know that it works now.

IMG_181011.jpgIMG_181011.jpg

IMG_1824.jpgIMG_1824.jpg

#35 8 years ago

Capacitor or diode? if it's a capacitor then a .05 mf capacitor

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Meatneck:

Capacitor or diode? if it's a capacitor then a .05 mf capacitor

Its a bad picture, i know, but on the lower pic i tried to take a good close-up shot of the EOS switch thats missing a...thing (im not sure whats supposed to sit there, i cannot see any text on the other ones.), here is a little better pic of it, its in the red circle in the furthest away EOS, the green circle shows the one of the others which are still there:

IMG_1827.jpgIMG_1827.jpg

#37 8 years ago

It works a "scorepointer" in this part of the gamefield, which is at the moment now totally dead.

IMG_18251.jpgIMG_18251.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, TN
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dolly-parton-pinball-takes-out-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.