Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AF6B300F-110B-4F26-AC82-2DEB312EF1E2 (resized).jpeg
A8990A24-8D13-4E63-B223-0425D39C0AA1 (resized).jpeg
3B401855-6551-4905-A892-A7067A5F7C49 (resized).jpeg
1AF884BA-092A-4A31-A1CA-FE0935945793 (resized).jpeg
468CDD9A-4522-499A-B301-D577040D91B1 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Just picked up my first solid state , so I’m apologize for my lack of knowledge . My previous experience is only in Em repair . Upon starting dolly. I can add a credit and start a game . When the game first is turned on the 2nd player display works , but only that one . When a credit is added it no longer works . All the playfield lights work , pops, targets , spinner , sounds all work . But the flippers are dead and displays are not on as well . Not sure where to start ? Any help would be greatly appreciated

#2 4 years ago

Reflow solder on all of the display header pins as the solder joints are usually cracked. Do this by removing the old solder first, then adding fresh.

Do any of the playfield coils work when you start a game? I’m guessing you also need to rebuild all of the connectors on the rectifier board.

Pinwiki has a good process for bulletproofing these games.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from EMpins16:

When the game first is turned on the 2nd player display works , but only that one . When a credit is added it no longer works .

With Dolly Parton, when you start a single player game the player 2, 3 and 4 displays go blank and this is normal. Press the start button again for a two player game and the player 2 display should come to life showing '00'.

Anyway it sounds like you have some connector issues. It will help your cause if you post some pictures of the boards in the backbox.

#4 4 years ago

I think you have 2 different issues.
Since you worked on EM games I assume you know how to solder? Your going to find that these old Bally SS games many of these problems are cold solder connections to the connector pins on the boards. Best place to start is to reflow/resolder all the connector pins on the boards.

Lets start with the flippers as that is the easier to troubleshoot. Since the other coils on the playfield work The flippers are probably tied to bad connections on the solenoid driver board. That's the board to the top right of the game. Check the connections on J1-3. and the relay it'self. Reflow those and your flipper relay should kick in and you'll have flippers.

As for the Displays,
Reflowing the connections might help. All of these connections trace back to j4 and j1 on the MPU so as a last resort you should check those connections.

Finally post some photos of the game and boards. If there is a battery still mounted to the MPU, remove it. Those leak over time and damage the board.

Good luck, awaiting your results...

#5 4 years ago

When the game starts the flipper relay on the driver board should make an audible click. If you cannot hear it probably enabling issue related to connector MPU J4 Pin 7 to driver board J4 Pin 8. Examine back of board for cracked solder joints. The MPU J4 gets ate up by leaking batteries and cracked solder common there too.

If you can hear the flipper relay click but still no flippers check driver j2 pin 2 & 1 and driver j1 pin 8 & 9.

The displays themselves are single sided boards and the weight of the wiring harness and the when the door swings open it flexes on the connectors and eventually the solder joints crack. It is super common on these games that every single display will have bad solder joints from 40 years of flexing. I would start with making sure each display has good solder joints. If still have problems with displays then check out connectors at MPU J1.

Anyways.... connectors connectors connectors. usual problem. Its a pain to repin all the problem connectors in a game, but needs done in a lot of project games.

#6 4 years ago

Thanks everyone for the info and advice . Gives me a great place to start . I’ve attached photos of the boards . So sounds like I need to focus on connections . Are there any guides or videos that can assist with this as I am a noob ?

1AF884BA-092A-4A31-A1CA-FE0935945793 (resized).jpeg1AF884BA-092A-4A31-A1CA-FE0935945793 (resized).jpeg3B401855-6551-4905-A892-A7067A5F7C49 (resized).jpeg3B401855-6551-4905-A892-A7067A5F7C49 (resized).jpeg468CDD9A-4522-499A-B301-D577040D91B1 (resized).jpeg468CDD9A-4522-499A-B301-D577040D91B1 (resized).jpegA8990A24-8D13-4E63-B223-0425D39C0AA1 (resized).jpegA8990A24-8D13-4E63-B223-0425D39C0AA1 (resized).jpegAF6B300F-110B-4F26-AC82-2DEB312EF1E2 (resized).jpegAF6B300F-110B-4F26-AC82-2DEB312EF1E2 (resized).jpeg
#7 4 years ago

This is a “grail “ type game for my wife lol and the price was right . Paid 300 for it and I should note that all 4 displays worked when I first checked it out . Flippers however still didn’t work .

#8 4 years ago

Cut that battery off the MPU. The connectors on the rectifier board need done too. Good idea to just do all the .156 connectors (the bigger ones).

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

I think you have 2 different issues.
Since you worked on EM games I assume you know how to solder? Your going to find that these old Bally SS games many of these problems are cold solder connections to the connector pins on the boards. Best place to start is to reflow/resolder all the connector pins on the boards.
Lets start with the flippers as that is the easier to troubleshoot. Since the other coils on the playfield work The flippers are probably tied to bad connections on the solenoid driver board. That's the board to the top right of the game. Check the connections on J1-3. and the relay it'self. Reflow those and your flipper relay should kick in and you'll have flippers.
As for the Displays,
Reflowing the connections might help. All of these connections trace back to j4 and j1 on the MPU so as a last resort you should check those connections.
Finally post some photos of the game and boards. If there is a battery still mounted to the MPU, remove it. Those leak over time and damage the board.
Good luck, awaiting your results...

So after reseating the connectors I was able to get power to just the right flipper . Left is dead . 2nd player display lights up and flickers , third player display flickers at times .

#10 4 years ago

Another update to this . I left it on for about an hour , three displays came back on and worked well , and both flippers worked just fine . Player 1 display was still out . I shot it off and turned it on again and got a little shock from the coin door . When I pushed the button to add a credit it would fake one of the pop bumpers fire . Really strange .

#11 4 years ago

Be cautious around those scoring displays when they're on. They'll shock the crap out of you. Your rectifier board connectors definitely need replacing. Get a crimping tool if you don't already have one. I bought this one off of Amazon and it works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/HT-225D-Cycle-Ratchet-Crimping-interchangeable/dp/B007JLN93S/ref=sr_1_1

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, TN
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dolly-parton-flippers-and-displays-not-working-?hl=tomdrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.