20230604_165555 (resized).jpg
20230604_165654 (resized).jpg
20230604_165518 (resized).jpg
20230604_165426 (resized).jpg
20230604_165506 (resized).jpg
20230604_165422 (resized).jpg
#1 10 months ago

Hello,

I am new to pinball but have had slot machines (mostly late 40s to 50s Mills hitops) and arcade games but do not work on them, I work on helicopters and airplanes as an A&P and an aircraft painter (basically a sheet metal and parts replacer) and my A was given to me by the Army so I know no electronic work that is like anything on the MPU board.

So my problem is I have a Dolly Parton and a bulb was flickering and when I replaced it it worked and I was playing a game when our power went out, the machine is plugged into a surge protector. When the power came back up the machine has general illumination, and the mpu light only flashes 6 times and does not do its boot up. I checked the fuses especially F4 but is fine.

The guy who owned it (I just got it) stated everything was great on it (obviously not couple of light went out and or are flickering) but he is a big collector and has many machine and works on them apparently but I don't feel like I want to get him involved or bother him.

So the next step in the book is to have the mpu tested?

My question is what a rough estimated of sending it out to be tested would cost me about how much just to be tested, not fixed.

I tried calling 2 places on-line that say they do testing and one said it would take a few weeks and would not give an estimate to just test and the other said to just to replace it.

I found several Las Vegas pinball in home repair sites and one here on Pinside that I want to look at but just wanted a bit of a heads up on cost.

This is my wife's dream machine because of Dolly and I want to get it fixed for her.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you,

Raquel

20230604_165422 (resized).jpg20230604_165422 (resized).jpg20230604_165426 (resized).jpg20230604_165426 (resized).jpg20230604_165506 (resized).jpg20230604_165506 (resized).jpg20230604_165518 (resized).jpg20230604_165518 (resized).jpg20230604_165555 (resized).jpg20230604_165555 (resized).jpg20230604_165608 (resized).jpg20230604_165608 (resized).jpg20230604_165654 (resized).jpg20230604_165654 (resized).jpg
#2 10 months ago

If your MPU is only getting 6 flashes, that means the 43v is too low or missing. Here's a copy of the manual: https://www.ipdb.org/files/698/Bally_1979_Dolly_Parton_Installation_and_General_Game_Operating_Instructions_with_paginated_schematics.pdf
A great place to start is Pinwiki, they have a general repair section, and game generation-specific pages: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

Check test point 5 on the rectifier board (right side of the head above the transformer), it should be 43vDC.

#3 10 months ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

If your MPU is only getting 6 flashes, that means the 43v is too low or missing. Here's a copy of the manual: https://www.ipdb.org/files/698/Bally_1979_Dolly_Parton_Installation_and_General_Game_Operating_Instructions_with_paginated_schematics.pdf
A great place to start is Pinwiki, they have a general repair section, and game generation-specific pages: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern
Check test point 5 on the rectifier board (right side of the head above the transformer), it should be 43vDC.

^^^^ this

#4 10 months ago

If that's a keeper and it sounds like it is, you might want to spend $167 delivered on a new MPU if your budget allows that. Board connectors are an issue on early Bally SS games but from your description of the issue that may not be the case.

https://nvram.weebly.com/mpu.html

#5 10 months ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

If that's a keeper and it sounds like it is, you might want to spend $167 delivered on a new MPU if your budget allows that. Board connectors are an issue on early Bally SS games but from your description of the issue that may not be the case.

Thank you I think I'll go that route, I have the money and I dont feel like I want to tinker and possibly mess it up any more than it is with out doing some reasearch. Thanks for the help.

#6 10 months ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Thank you I need do do more research, appreciate the info.

#7 10 months ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

True. But, this very well could be coming from the old rectifier board next to the transformer. It's great place to start.

Over-used BRs/fuse clips/headerpins. New rectifiers are around $100 and have screw in terminals so you don't have to re-solder.

Then, the MPU header pins and connectors, plus MPU are also suspect.

Very simple to check the rectifier with a DMM.

#8 10 months ago
Quoted from Jigs:

True. But, this very well could be coming from the old rectifier board next to the transformer. It's great place to start.
Over-used BRs/fuse clips/headerpins. New rectifiers are around $100 and have screw in terminals so you don't have to re-solder.
Then, the MPU header pins and connectors, plus MPU are also suspect.
Very simple to check the rectifier with a DMM.

Thanks will check that out if I can, just jumped on pinwiki, lots of great stuff.

#10 10 months ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

New rectifier boards no soldering and work great:
https://xpinpinball.net/product/xp-bly2518-ebr/

Sweet thanks, thats not a bad price.

#11 10 months ago

If you bought it as working from a collector, I would hold off on replacing boards. Your rectifier board looks very fixable, and new MPU is a great idea in most cases but if it was working up to this point, sounds like it isn't necessary.

#12 10 months ago

Check underneath the playfield for a inline fuse mounted to the playfield itself. Seems like it could keep the game down as well but it's been years.

John

#13 10 months ago

holy cow, lets slow down a step. Do not start spending money unless its on a multimeter. Follow the pinwiki and do some investigation. old bally games are easy. Follow the power from the plug in the wall to the mpu. As stated more than likely its going to be the rectifier board. Check the fuses then use the multimeter and check the voltage on the test points. If everything is good there, move over to the MPU and make sure you have the required voltage on test point 3 (21.3 ish). Thats pretty much what you need to get the 7th flash. Anything more and then I would see about getting someone to help out.

#14 10 months ago

Throwing boards at problems without doing some cursory trouble shooting is an expensive and ineffective way to get your game going.

First is to insure you count the flashes correctly. The proper sequence is there should be a quick flicker, a flash, pause, then 6 more flashes.
A missing 7th flash indicates the 43v coil voltage is missing. In most cases that means the 5amp fuse, F4 on the rectifier board, has blown. This is such a common problem, even if the fuse visually looks good you should check it with a multimeter to be sure. If the fuse tests good measure the voltage at the MPU. J4-15 should have 43v and TP3 should measure 21v. If all these check out good only then you should consider board work.

#15 10 months ago
Quoted from Tallon:

holy cow, lets slow down a step. Do not start spending money unless its on a multimeter. Follow the pinwiki and do some investigation. old bally games are easy. Follow the power from the plug in the wall to the mpu. As stated more than likely its going to be the rectifier board. Check the fuses then use the multimeter and check the voltage on the test points. If everything is good there, move over to the MPU and make sure you have the required voltage on test point 3 (21.3 ish). Thats pretty much what you need to get the 7th flash. Anything more and then I would see about getting someone to help out.

This is working out, thanks I am running through the troubleshooting and this is what I have so far

These are the readings for the rectifier:
TP1 5 vdc
TP2 218 vdc
TP3 13 vdc
TP4 6.7 vac
TP5 44 vdc

I just am not throwing boards at it but I also am wanting to know what I could be looking at, this is my wifes baby (looking to get another) and I want to get it up and running cause we play our machines everyday and it sucks she's down.

I just went through all the schematis last night to find test point and found them on the boards. Will post what I find out on them.

I really appreciate all the help amd info. I am going to check out what I can then if I cant figure it out after that I'll get a professional to come in.

I am so new to this and everyone is so forgiving with knowledge It feels amazing to be learning this.

My goal is to learn to fix the EM bingo pinballs (I have 1 and love it) and through so many great sites and people that love pinball I feel like this is such an attainable goal.

#16 10 months ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Check underneath the playfield for a inline fuse mounted to the playfield itself. Seems like it could keep the game down as well but it's been years.
John

I did find that fuse and checked out good, thanks for the tip forgot that one was there, I am very new to these machines and have been going over the book and any info I can get my hands on.

#17 10 months ago

If you have the 44 volts then your problem is more then likely a connection at probably the driver board or the MPU board. Reseat the connectors and try again. Or you could have cold solder joints....

John

#18 10 months ago

While your CPU looks quite nice, it has some battery damage near the negative side of "no leak" battery - probably due to the previously installed nicad.

Try resoldering all greyish connections. Also surprisingly often the display interrupt generator U12 or some of its surrounding components fail - that might be causing the board to miss the zero cross interrupt from unreg 43V. First try replacing C16, then U12.

If you have a scope or logic probe, check for about 300 Hz at U12 pin 3 - exact value is not critical.

#19 10 months ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

While your CPU looks quite nice, it has some battery damage near the negative side of "no leak" battery - probably due to the previously installed nicad.
Try resoldering all greyish connections. Also surprisingly often the display interrupt generator U12 or some of its surrounding components fail - that might be causing the board to miss the zero cross interrupt from unreg 43V. First try replacing C16, then U12.
If you have a scope or logic probe, check for about 300 Hz at U12 pin 3 - exact value is not critical.

Thanks for the info this is beyond my scope with out some research, if this is the problem I might have to leave it to a pro.

#20 10 months ago
Quoted from rocgod:

Thanks for the info this is beyond my scope with out some research, if this is the problem I might have to leave it to a pro.

Check test point 3 on the MPU. bottom left corner and see if the voltage is getting there. if it is, you have a board problem, if not you have a wiring/connector/header problem

#21 10 months ago

Sweet I thank everyone that has been trying to help unfortunately my health took a bad turn so it is slowing me down a bit. I dont want all my business out there but felt I need to let y'all know I am really listening and learning from your suggestions but that results might take a bit. I will get back to it but did not want anyone to rhink I am ignoring any suggestions. Its looking like a week or two but im hoping for sooner I cant wait to play my machine again.

#22 10 months ago
Quoted from rocgod:

Sweet I thank everyone that has been trying to help unfortunately my health took a bad turn so it is slowing me down a bit. I dont want all my business out there but felt I need to let y'all know I am really listening and learning from your suggestions but that results might take a bit. I will get back to it but did not want anyone to rhink I am ignoring any suggestions. Its looking like a week or two but im hoping for sooner I cant wait to play my machine again.

Health comes first, pinball can wait. Wishing you a speedy recovery

#23 10 months ago

R113 and R16 is a 50% voltage divide on the 43v for the zero cross detection (flash 7). Someone replace R113 but not R16 which is suspect (and kind of goofy). Those resistors are a typical failure point. Use half watt resistors there. If R16 goes totally open it is possible to smoke U8 as the voltage may double(?). Check MPU Test Point 3 and consider replacing R16 with the same value as R113 (half watt resistor, probably 2K).

You also left out a picture of your solenoid driver board. 13v is usually a little low and may be an indication the filter cap is failing. With the large capacitor on the driver board the 12v usually comes up to around 16-17v (11.9v x 1.4).
Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, TN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dolly-parton-6-flashes-only-after-power-loss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.