• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thumbnail (11) (resized).jpg
thumbnail (12) (resized).jpg
thumbnail (13) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cwest.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi. I am new to the forum. I have an old Dolly pinball machine (1978 I believe) that has been sitting in my basement for around 20 years. I had attempted to get it working around 10 years ago but gave up on it at that time. At that time I recall when I ran through the self-test routine it never made it all the way through the initial 7 flashes successfully. That's when I stopped working on it. Yesterday, however, I decided to try and get it working again. When I tried running it through the same routine I noticed no flashes or lights on the MPU module A4 and an immediate engagement of the right side bumper solenoid on the playfield (see picture below). The solenoid remained engaged with power on and I could smell something appearing to get hot up in the top section, so I shut it off. The game has it's original boards in it. I have a GAME 1162-E Service Manual (FO 635), and a Bally Electronic Pinball Games Repair Procedures - Module & Component Replacement manual (F.O. 560-1). Looking for some guidance in getting this back in working order again. I am open to replacing the boards, as I know they are likely in bad shape and certainly outdated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Included are pictures of the solenoid referenced above along with the boards in the backboard section.

Machine: Dolly made by Bally
Year: I believe 1978
Model: Dolly Parton Electronic
Serial No.: 5908

thumbnail (13) (resized).jpgthumbnail (13) (resized).jpgthumbnail (12) (resized).jpgthumbnail (12) (resized).jpgthumbnail (11) (resized).jpgthumbnail (11) (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Wrong forum. You'll get more relevant answers in the SS forum.

Thanks. Sorry. Will try the Solid State. I thought this was the correct one but guessed wrong. It did say in the Electro-Mechanical / EC Pinball Tech section that "If you have a problem with your pinball machine start a thread in this section. The tech crew will be with you shortly." Thanks for you guidance. Much appreciated.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Thread moved to the early solid state forum

Thanks.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiz_pa:

Go to the PinWiki website, click on 1977-1985 Bally/Stern section, go to the section ‘powering on the first time’ , I think it’s section 5.2 that should get you started.

Great. Thank you.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballbrian:

Hi,Cwest.you have two options.(1) .contact coin OP cauldron.com ,they repair boards.price list is on website.(2).you can replace with new altek boards.altek.com.(thats where I would start first).meanwhile ,you say machine sat 20 years.i would clean playfield,replacing parts that are worn.check coils for proper ohms.coil chart is also online.see Clay's pinrepair guide for restoration steps.good luck.also let us know your progress.will be glad to help get you running.a lot of good teck on pinside.

Thanks. I'm a little reluctant to have my board(s) repaired since they are so old and I feel they would continue to be problematic, so definitely leaning towards board upgrade. I will check out the altek boards, but there are several boards in my machine. Are you referring to just the MPU (A4) board or others? And is it just a matter of swapping to a new state of the art board or is there an upgrade package/procedure I need to be consider?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

Also check out https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html for a new MPU. Great price and support

Thanks. That's an excellent price. I'll get that board and go from there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, TN
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cwest.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dolly-machine-electrical-issues?tu=cwest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.