• Latest reply 1 year ago by BigAl56
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221030_100239 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Back to working on Dolly. Got it playing good. but all displays start with a 66 on them after starting a game. It only displays 6s and 7s for everynumber in test.

Also a couple times after playing a while the upper pop bumper, the first "L" on Dolly targets and left ball return lane go out. If I turn it off and let it sit a minute they work again. New Alltek mpu and solenoid boards.

#2 1 year ago

You’ve repinned every connector, right?

#3 1 year ago

All of these Bally pinballs of this age are suffering severe connector rot.

Quoted from semicolin:

You’ve repinned every connector, right?

Yeah. He's serious. And he's correct.

Getting a machine this age reliable is taking a LOT of effort. It used to be that you could just reflow a pin here or there, fix the exact problem you are faced with and move on. In my experience, that isn't the case lately.

At the bare minimum, reflow the solder on every display at the connector. Look for anything that might need solder reflow at the glass and elsewhere.

Put all the displays back in, see if that 'fixed' it... for now.

Read the entire Pinwiki about Bally, particularly the section here:

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Bally/Stern#The_Same_Number_is_Displayed_Multiple_Times_During_Display_Test

A problem with one display can/will affect all of them.

Consider replacing all of the original glass with LED replacements. Original glass and working display boards are becoming harder to find and more expensive every day.

I love machines this age, but in my experience lately (about the past eight or nine years), all machines this age are taking a LOT of repair and involve a lot of replacing all the pins and plugs. Anything less and you end up with a terribly unreliable machine. Personally, I'd do this for a KISS pinball of this age because it sells for a high price that justifies the repair needed, but I'm not taking on other models of Bally pinballs anymore. Too much work, not enough value when you get done.

I hope you get it fixed!

#4 1 year ago

If all the displays are doing it most likely it's a problem with the common J1 connector on the MPU. If you haven't done so already, clean, reflow, and repin that connector.

#5 1 year ago

I appreciate the advice. I unplugged all displays and plugged in 1 at a time and they all do the same thing. So was thinking more wire in wrong spot or bad chip. I will replace the molex connectors i haven't yet to rule it out. Wish schematics were available online, just might have to buy them. Thanks again for info.

#7 1 year ago

Thank you slochar.
So I replaced all the molex connectors and displays are good. Yay. But still having the intermittent problem. Everything workes for most of the first game. Then I lose first L target, left flipper feeder lane and top thumper bumper. So A4J2-13 redid that pin and no change. And the MPU is new Altek board.
Also what does the (I 5) represent on schematics?
20221030_100239 (resized).jpg20221030_100239 (resized).jpg

#8 1 year ago

Any switch that has a switch capacitor on it (-|(- in the schematic page) should have it cut off and replaced. They are bad after 40+ years. You can cut one leg of them (they should look like little discs) to test. Undoubtedly as well some of you switch will have been abused by incorrect maintenance way back when - (operators continued to file switches into the early solid state era because 'that's what we always do to fix things' despite there being warnings to not file the gold plated switches.) If the gold plating is compromised, you have to replace the switch (or the contact, at a minimum). It will never be reliable until you do.

Finish replacing those crimp pins as well, same reason. The plating is gone and they will not be reliable, as you're seeing.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Swatty:

Also what does the (I 5) represent on schematics?

Return. Bally engineers called switch rows returns but R would be too confusing so they settled on I. Bally senior engineers were military trained and used military designations for many of their designs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, TN
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dolly-displays-wonky- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.