Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5D8373E6-5C8F-4917-8E5F-6D856DAE91C7 (resized).jpeg
    3C501263-3B43-4E68-A080-8FB8348B5C8B (resized).jpeg
    F8638DC1-34E2-4611-9828-A9BB758EB669 (resized).jpeg
    4CEA56EA-6C33-41BA-A60E-CE64E55B27A0 (resized).jpeg
    e31 (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpeg
    make-canada-great-again-snapback-hat-snap-back-baseball-cap (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

With all the negativity that we're surrounded by in our lives and even a lot of the moaning we do right here on Pinside, (I'm guilty of it at times too) I thought that it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to ONLY positive stories. Times where you did something kind in the name of pinball.

I'll start it off...

I recently stopped by a local bowling alley over my lunch to play a few games. They have a modest arcade with 3 pins that get switched up every few months.

There was an elementary school on a day trip, and some of the kids that had finished bowling were just hanging out in the arcade. I was there playing a little T2, and a couple of kids stood at my side watching in amazement (which is funny, because I was really stinking it up bad!).

I finished my game and had one credit left. I turned to the kids and said "there's one game left, you guys can have it".

AS I was walking out I noticed a swarm of kids were now standing around watching this kid play. I walked back in, put coins in the other two machines and announced "they're all going now, just make sure you share it".

That simple gesture put a huge smile on their faces, and probably gave most of them their first try at pinball.

Keep the stories coming, or feel inspired today to create one of your own

#2 5 years ago

Nice gesture with the kids, I've done that myself before.

#4 5 years ago

-

#5 5 years ago

-

#6 5 years ago

#7 5 years ago

--

#8 5 years ago

---

#11 5 years ago
    download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #12 5 years ago

----

#13 5 years ago
    make-canada-great-again-snapback-hat-snap-back-baseball-cap (resized).jpgmake-canada-great-again-snapback-hat-snap-back-baseball-cap (resized).jpg
    #14 5 years ago

Hey dude, im also from toronto. I also went on a field trip to a bowling alley earlier this year - up in Newmarket.. and i could see the remains of what was once a nice 20'x20' arcade space that had been once converted to a smoking lounge and for quite some time now, a cafe space. Electrical outlets every 6' around the perimeter was a dead give away! lol.

anyway, no arcade existed there, but i swear my neo-geo cab came from the place.. it smells EXACTLY like the bowling alley - Stellar Lanes.

good on you, i'll eventually find some pins in the wild that i'll let my kids play..

Quoted from Damien:

With all the negativity that we're surrounded by in our lives and even a lot of the moaning we do right here on Pinside, (I'm guilty of it at times too) I thought that it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to ONLY positive stories. Times where you did something kind in the name of pinball.
    I'll start it off...
    I recently stopped by a local bowling alley over my lunch to play a few games. They have a modest arcade with 3 pins that get switched up every few months.
    There was an elementary school on a day trip, and some of the kids that had finished bowling were just hanging out in the arcade. I was there playing a little T2, and a couple of kids stood at my side watching in amazement (which is funny, because I was really stinking it up bad!).
    I finished my game and had one credit left. I turned to the kids and said "there's one game left, you guys can have it".
    AS I was walking out I noticed a swarm of kids were now standing around watching this kid play. I walked back in, put coins in the other two machines and announced "they're all going now, just make sure you share it".
    That simple gesture put a huge smile on their faces, and probably gave most of them their first try at pinball.
    Keep the stories coming, or feel inspired today to create one of your own

#15 5 years ago

One time a kid was playing one of my games in the basement. There were a few kids down there. He started machine gunning the flippers and leaving 4 player games unattended. So I went down, shut off the games and said "your mom wants you upstairs." The end.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

One time a kid was playing one of my games in the basement. There were a few kids down there. He started machine gunning the flippers and leaving 4 player games unattended. So I went down, shut off the games and said "your mom wants you upstairs." The end.

We teach our own kids (2 and 4) to press the start button only once, to finish out any games they start (all 3 balls) and to flip when the ball is near the flippers. They have been trying to trap the ball almost always. Teach 'em young.

#17 5 years ago

What's this thread aboot again?

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

What's this thread aboot again?

It started out as a political battle between two neighboring countries.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

We teach our own kids (2 and 4) to press the start button only once, to finish out any games they start (all 3 balls) and to flip when the ball is near the flippers. They have been trying to trap the ball almost always. Teach 'em young.

Yeah, I was just being a smartass. My kids have been around pins since they were born. They have great pin etiquette and they show their friends the way

#20 5 years ago

I want a cookie

#21 5 years ago

I had a group of kids monkey flipping on 4 games at the same time, that was it for me.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It started out as a political battle between two neighboring countries.

Now it's just dots and dashes

---

#23 5 years ago

This thread had such potential, I wonder what went so wrong. Good story OP. I'll be checking back to see if the thread gets back on the rails.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

This thread had such potential, I wonder what went so wrong. Good story OP. I'll be checking back to see if the tread gets back on the rails.

Might help if OP came back in and explained what the dash was for? In any case, this definitely won't be the imamaculate Baywatch thread...

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Now it's just dots and dashes

Morse code I believe.

#26 5 years ago

... --- ...

Oh wait, that would be for another infamous thread on Pinside.

#27 5 years ago

.-- .- .. - --..-- .-- .... .- - ..--..

#28 5 years ago

-.. .. -.. .. ... - ..- - - . .-. ?

#29 5 years ago

01001111 01110010 00100000 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00111111

#31 5 years ago
    images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg
    #32 5 years ago
    e31 (resized).jpge31 (resized).jpg

#34 5 years ago

Not even pinball can keep me from missing your mom.

#35 5 years ago

Let's get this back on track.

If you have a story about doing some good in the name of pinball, be sure to share it.

Peace to all

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

Let's get this back on track.
    If you have a story about doing some good in the name of pinball, be sure to share it.
    Peace to all

I don't think it ever made it onto the tracks.

#37 5 years ago

Not cool. I’m not sure if you meant your post to sound callous, but perhaps you should reconsider and delete.

I hope for the OP’s sake, this thread can get back to what he intended.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Not cool. I’m not sure if you meany your post to sound callous, but perhaps you should reconsider and delete.
    I hope for the OP’s sake, this thread can get back to what he intended.

The first words I typed in response to his "joke" were FUCK YOU MOTHERFUCKER. Then Momma Okayest popped in my head (like she often does).
    Children in pain=no joke you [removed].

#40 5 years ago

Recently put a nba jam in a local church for the kids to play. Free play of course.

It’s in a semi low income area and I heard from my buddy the first day the church had a party there was over 40 kids and a line to play the game

I’m not bragging or trying to impress anyone as it brings great joy seeing others playing a game

Hoping to put more fun 4 player games in there soon and maybe a pinball

Reminds me of all the fun I used to have going to arcades back in the day and they just don’t exist like they used to.

#41 5 years ago

My buddy joked with the kids there is no Lebron and most of the players you guys never heard of lol

So I guess the kids get a learning lesson in 90s rosters as well haha

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

I found several pieces of old chewed up gum petrified to the bottom of one of my machines and left them there.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I found several pieces of old chewed up gum petrified to the bottom of one of my machines and left them there.

Sometimes I think you try to hard.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

Sometimes I think you try to hard.

Preserving the history and patina of these old games, one machine at a time...

#45 5 years ago

For most of my adult life, if I was in a bar or restaurant and saw kids hanging around pins, acting like they are playing a game, I would toss a few quarters on the glass and tell them the games were on me.
    Can't do that anymore. My wife says people might get the wrong idea these days. Sad.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

My wife says people might get the wrong idea these days.

Sadly, can and does happen.

LTG : )

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Not even pinball can keep me from missing your mom.

LOL a mom joke. You are a funny man. My geriatric mother knows how to pick 'em!

#48 5 years ago

Kind of on topic - I repaired a shuffle bowler for an 83 year old Navy veteran. It had not worked for 15 years - now the great grandkids play it.

#49 5 years ago

Recently gave a project machine to a local Pinsider -- meeting someone new and making their day with pinball was worth more than the money to be made from selling it.

Ordinarily I would not make a big deal of such things but I like the positive intentions of the OP and wanted to keep them going.

#50 5 years ago

This is not anything special, but I occasionally show people at the local "barcade" how to start the game, play multiplayer, or keep them from putting too many credits into the game.

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doing-some-good?hl=trueno92 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.