(Topic ID: 60337)

Doing my First Flipper rebuild. Any Advice or Special Tips?

By Switch

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Switch
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Well I decided to do some much needed repair on my old High Speed. It hasn't seen any maintenance in probably the last ten years (considering the guy didn't even know how to take the glass out)until I got it a few weeks ago. Today my parts arrived. I ordered complete flipper rebuilds from pinballlife.com for all three flippers, new flipper bushings for all three flippers, and a couple of extra coil sleeves to replace any that are dragging elsewhere. I have watched the tutorial on Youtube and I was just curious if there is anything special I needed to know about doing this that will help increase the flippers performance or longevity. Really hoping this overhaul makes a big difference in how it plays.

#3 10 years ago

Holy cow that's a good thread. Guess I should have searched a little harder. Sounds like I ordered everything I need at least. I will definitely have to look into updating those return springs

#4 10 years ago

My tip is to change out the bushings too.

edit: I didn't read your whole post. I see you got the bushings.

#5 10 years ago

bushings are usually the biggest issue. That and making sure it is aligned right. The vid thread is great! good luck

#6 10 years ago

The white plastic bushings had screws and nuts holding them to the flipper baseplate. Williams usually put Loctite on the screw threads to keep the nuts from working loose.

#7 10 years ago

I'll chime in as well on the bushings. They are often overlooked during a rebuild and are often cracked or worn to the point where there is too much wobble/play with the flipper shaft. Like KenLayton indicates, the bushings are usually held in on Williams games with screws and locktite. Go easy removing those, as you will want to reuse those. Alternately, there is room on the playfield side of the base plate for some low profile nuts/lock washers if you use some longer screws.

#8 10 years ago

Just remember when you put the flippers back in, you are REALLY going to have to CRANK that pawl down to make sure the flipper doesn't move after a couple games.
It happened to me the first time, it just seems like you're tightening them until they are aboot to explode! But that is the way it's done.
Good Luck!

#9 10 years ago

Great advice guys! I will be careful and use Loctite blue.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Just remember when you put the flippers back in, you are REALLY going to have to CRANK that pawl down to make sure the flipper doesn't move after a couple games.
It happened to me the first time, it just seems like you're tightening them until they are aboot to explode! But that is the way it's done.
Good Luck!

Is there a torque spec for this?

#10 10 years ago

Any major differences when rebuilding Stern Flippers?

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Any major differences when rebuilding Stern Flippers?

Not from my RBION I didn't really notice anything diff'rent.

Quoted from Switch:

Is there a torque spec for this?

F*&^king tight

#12 10 years ago

Don't forget to clean your cabinet flipper switches when doing a rebuild. HS uses the high voltage series wound coils and the tungsten flipper switches get a lot of arcing and some pitting. Use a piece of emery cloth to clean the cabinet switches.

If the contact are gold plated ( low voltage ) DO NOT use anything abrasive on the contacts. A paper business card works well. The cabinet switches on HS are tungsten and pretty tough. Inspect and clean when doing the flipper rebuild. Switches are best adjusted for a wiping action when depressed.

#13 10 years ago

If you remove the wires from the coils make absolute sure that you put them back correctly! Take pictures and notes! If the coils are fine best to not remove them at all, leave the wires on them and maybe tape or zip tie to the playfield somehow while you clean everything. Don't know how many threads I have seen where someone rewired them wrong and then caused board damage when they turned the machine back on.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

If you remove the wires from the coils make absolute sure that you put them back correctly! Take pictures and notes! .

Its easiest to snip the wire off and leave it attached to the coil with a slight piece of the insulation on the wire. Very simple to look and and match the color back up with the new coil.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Switch:

Well I decided to do some much needed repair on my old High Speed. It hasn't seen any maintenance in probably the last ten years (considering the guy didn't even know how to take the glass out)until I got it a few weeks ago. Today my parts arrived. I ordered complete flipper rebuilds from pinballlife.com for all three flippers, new flipper bushings for all three flippers, and a couple of extra coil sleeves to replace any that are dragging elsewhere. I have watched the tutorial on Youtube and I was just curious if there is anything special I needed to know about doing this that will help increase the flippers performance or longevity. Really hoping this overhaul makes a big difference in how it plays.

this is your best friend if anything is stubborn untightening: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKCQUW/ref=as_li_ss_tl

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Its easiest to snip the wire off and leave it attached to the coil with a slight piece of the insulation on the wire. Very simple to look and and match the color back up with the new coil.

Also great advice, should have added that. I try and not remove them at all if they are still good, but when you do remove them that is a great tip.

#17 10 years ago

Before you do anything make sure to take a bunch of pictures of your current flippers in the machine so you have a reference point once you start your rebuild.

#18 10 years ago

I take the easy way.....pop in whole pre built assemblies from pinball life. 2 wires to solder and all is new

#19 10 years ago

Coil lugs / wires on the opposite end ( away ) from the coil stops.
Less vibration and hammering to the lug wires.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Before you do anything make sure to take a bunch of pictures of your current flippers in the machine so you have a reference point once you start your rebuild.

This is my number one rule whenever I do any pinball repair.

#21 10 years ago

Great advice guys. I didn't have a ton of time last night but I did manage to get the upper right flipper rebuild and man what a difference! I took lots of pics before I started and I chse that one so I would have another right side flipper to refrence. Everything smooth as silk and I used blue Loctite on everthing so I hope it holds up. I will hopefully get the other two done tonight then get the diverter coil sleeve replaced and it should be playing like a new game again. Thanks guys!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doing-my-first-flipper-rebuild-any-advice-or-special-tips and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.