PXL_20240322_164232590.MP (resized).jpg
20240322_095300 (resized).jpg
IMG_6261 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240321_115607232 (resized).jpg
IMG-20240321-WA0001 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240321_093911392 (resized).jpg
20240320_144557 (resized).jpg
20240320_143721 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Our precious dachshund, Lance. He's 10 years old and has the typical back problems associated with the breed. Early last year, he temporarily lost the use of his back legs for almost three months. It was very tough but after a lot of rest, pills and cleaning up his poop bucket (a large Rubbermaid pan) he started to gain the use again. Now, the wife and I have to not let him get too excited because he'll run around like a nut. He doesn't realize his limitations. Winters are always the hardest but he made it through another one without an issue.

image.jpg 109 KB

image-294.jpg 55 KB

My dachshund is almost 10 and has ruptured a disc twice. Both times he lost control of his lower half. Check out VOM (veterinary orthopedic manipulation) and see if anyone does it around you. I got amazing results from it both times and he isn't in any pain now. It's been a few years since the last incident.

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Dude, it's been one year to the day since Millie went in for a ruptured disc. Please to God tell me you're not letting him climb anything or jumping off of anything higher than a toothpick?
To everyone who owns a long dog like a Dachshund, Basset Hound, etc....take care of your dog early in its life. Do NOT let it jump off of couches, go up or down stairs, etc. Once in a while is fine but don't let it become a habit. Or, you'll end up like me and Winteriscoming.
Also, you'll be out $4-5K per pop. When Millie went in last year on the Sunday before Memorial Day, there were 3 other Dachshunds in there for the exact same surgery the day before Memorial Day. In addition, DO NOT WAIT! Your dog will have what is know as "deep pain." Your dog may not yelp or be in pain but they are. This is a VERY small window in which you must get him/her in for surgery. Khabbi can attest as well on this.

You can avoid the costly and invasive surgery with VOM sessions (think chiropractor), steroids, muscle relaxers and confinement to limit movement. Both times he went from no lower mobility to slight movement after 2 sessions and full mobility after 5. In total I spent around $300 to have my dog healed each time. I highly recommend looking into VOM for anyone with a long dog.

I'll try to get some pics of my dogs up, soon. It doesn't seem to work from my phone.

#174 9 years ago

Here's my pack.

Lucius, a 10-year-old dachshund.
IMG_20140320_102137.jpgIMG_20140320_102137.jpg

Lilith, a 7-year-old Irish Jack Russell.
IMG_20130216_112924.jpgIMG_20130216_112924.jpg

The newest addition to my family. Galadriel, AKA "Elli", an 11-week-old Chihuahua and unknown terrier mix.
IMG_20140527_134233.jpgIMG_20140527_134233.jpg

6 months later
#241 9 years ago

Merry Christmas from our little Elli girl.
Elli Christmas.jpgElli Christmas.jpg

4 months later
#397 8 years ago

My Elli turned 1 recently.

20150314_113050.jpg20150314_113050.jpg
#406 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I'd recommend adopting. Don't get hung up on breeds either, there are plenty mutts near you that can make great dogs.

I kind of wish there weren't breeders anymore. People are so irresponsible that there will always be a near infinite supply of dogs in need of adoption. Every time I see the adoptable dogs at my local pet store, I always see at least one I wish I could take home, but my home is kind of full with 3 (one from a breeder 10 years ago when I was naiive, but other 2 were adopted). Even if you're after a specific breed, you can probably find one at a shelter if you're patient.

With our latest dog, my wife and I were after a medium sized breed along the lines of an Australian shepherd, but a tiny Chihuahua mix pup stole our hearts.

Tired Elli:
IMG_20150123_213202.jpgIMG_20150123_213202.jpg

#410 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I've rescued a couple cats and a dog before. The challenge with rescuing a dog is you don't know what you are getting (exercise needs wise, trainability wise, tolerance of other animals wise, tolerance of children wise and just generally with everything.
When you get a specific breed a lot of the guess work is gone and you can get a dog tailor made and designed to fit your needs.
I think adopting is a GREAT thing and I support a couple animal shelters but adopting is not for everyone. Some people need to not adopt but rather a get a dog they know will fit their peculiar needs.

You can adopt a puppy and you're good to go with training in your ideal behavior. I would think it's risky to assume a breed is guaranteed to come with certain behavioral traits. With older dogs, the shelter/foster home generally has a good idea about how well the dog gets along with children or other pets, as well as the dog's overall energy and intensity level. Doesn't seem like there are guarantees either way you go. With older adoptable dogs, you should generally get a chance to bring your other pets or children to meet it before committing.

5 months later
#510 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hey guys, does anyone have experience with their dogs having hot spots? My new dog has them. Took him to the vet already and they are being treated. Just wondering how long they take to heal usually and if they are common to return in the future?
Thanks!

Two of my dogs had a couple about a year ago. For the one, we had to keep an eye on her to make sure she wasn't biting at it all the time. We were prescribed a shampoo, but my wife also read that virgin coconut oil is good for hot spots and maybe has some anti-microbial properties, so we regularly rubbed that on the affected areas too. If nothing else it made the spots smell better. Took a few months until the skin looked better and then a while longer for hair to grow back.

I keep my two more allergy prone dogs on daily loratadine. If your vet agrees to it, they should be able to tell you the proper dosing depending on size. I prefer loratadine to other options they were on before since it's cheap and can be bought over the counter.

Here's hoping it's not a recurring issue.

My dachshund had a spot many years ago, not sure if it was a hot spot, but hair never grew back...

#513 8 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

My Jack Russel/Beagle mix, Bonnie,

Cute! She looks similar to my Lilith. Are you sure about the mix? She looks like an Irish Jack Russell to me. They're more squat and stout than the more common Parsons Jack Russell.

IMG_20140125_143543.jpgIMG_20140125_143543.jpg

3 months later
#555 8 years ago

Elli needs an exorcism...

IMG_20160122_234844_(resized).jpgIMG_20160122_234844_(resized).jpg

#557 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I love laser eye pictures!1016185_10151844053631814_1651188955_n_(resized).jpg

It's crazy when you get 2 colors in the same pic. Elli's are sometimes red and sometimes green. Ocassionally I get a pic with both.

IMG_20151014_124139_(resized).jpgIMG_20151014_124139_(resized).jpg

5 months later
#625 7 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

My wife's schedule sucks a lot more than mine and we are building currently on my retired In-laws ' property. This will actually be the the first point in our married lives that we can handle having a dog. Essentially, it is finally time..lol Thank you for the great suggestions. I think a rescue mutt will be the best bet. I will report back when we are settled in a couple of months.

There are several local adoption organizations.

Feeder Supply in Clarksville always has some adoptable dogs in the store through the KY Humane Society. I always take a look when I go there and feel sorry for the poor creatures, sad in their cages just wanting to be loved.

We adopted our last pup through the Shamrock Foundation, a foster care organization where all the dogs live in foster homes, which is nice if you get an older dog since the foster parent would know it well. You might do well getting one from a foster home with young children.

1 year later
#1052 6 years ago

We had to put our Jack Russell Lilith down the other weekend. It's been my first loss of a canine friend and it has been so much more difficult to deal with than I would have thought.

We think she was about 12 years old and we had her for 8.5 years. We think she was abused before we got her. She was so shy and nervous. She eventually became the happy dog she was meant to be. She gained a lot of self-confidence and was very happy to meet new people and dogs.

Love your dogs while they're here!

8 months later
#1500 5 years ago

Evie is the newest addition to our family.

She is assumed by the rescue organization to be Jack Russell/Border Collie mix. Her siblings had more of a Jack Russell coloring, but all of them had natural bob-tails (very short tails). I'm wondering if there's Corgi in there due to the tails. No idea how big she'll get. In the pic, she's laying on our Chihuahua mix so you can get a sense of scale.

IMG_20180828_142927_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20180828_142927_01 (resized).jpg
3 months later
#1580 5 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Today Dogs do not rule in my household.
[quoted image]
Sad thing is that Dewey is litter box trained and will use one (we have 7 cats)
but guess he was too lazy or distracted to go down to basement to use it.
He pee'd right in front of my wife while she was decorating the Xmas tree.
Normally we let him outside every 4 hrs to pee or poo,
but it was 5 hrs when he had his accident.
He is capable of holding it longer.

How old is he? My male dachshund is 14 and change (I think about 99 in dog years) and he's more recently started having accidents. If he is sleeping, which he does most of the time, he can go for many hours, but if he's up and about, I have to make sure he's going out more than he used to.

I tried diapers, too, but the dumb things don't fit him well enough to stop pee.

1 month later
#1604 5 years ago

We got Evie as a puppy in the summer. Not sure what her mix is. She wonders why it's harder and harder to fit under the couch to go after our Chihuahua mix.

IMG_20181130_2006117 (resized).jpgIMG_20181130_2006117 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 199.95
$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dogs-rule?tu=winteriscoming and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.