pasted_image (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240411_140129112 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240411_134922266 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240410_111848243 (resized).jpg
20231112_174813.jpg
IMG_4680 (resized).jpg
IMG_7562 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7563 (resized).jpeg
There are 7,032 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 141.
#1652 5 years ago

Nice day for a walk today

IMG_20190210_144129001 (resized).jpgIMG_20190210_144129001 (resized).jpg
#1653 5 years ago

Parts of this thread are just heart wrenching.

When you lose a dog, do you think it is best to get another right away or is it better to wait for a period of time? I waited almost 23 years between poodles which probably sounds insane to most people, but I didn’t want to bring in another dog until I knew I was mentally ready to give the new pooch 100%. It also helped that my wife and children really wanted a dog and are very persistent.

#1654 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

do you think it is best to get another right away or is it better to wait for a period of time?

Only you can decide that.

After a few days I start thinking and looking. It took 5 weeks to find Prada, my pride and joy. That was the longest between dogs for me. Usually about a week.

LTG : )

#1655 5 years ago

I love my Fisher like a child. Today my wife and I were going to a state park to ride bikes. Fisher begged to go so I took the bikes out of the truck and took him and we hiked instead of bikes. Nothing can replace him but I will get another boxer soon to 1 keep him company when my daughter takes her scraggly mutt with her and 2 so when he leaves me I will still have a pupper to baby. Then I will get another to keep that one company. We can’t keep them forever no matter how much we want to.

#1656 5 years ago

bit of fun

catch (resized).jpgcatch (resized).jpguber (resized).jpguber (resized).jpg
#1657 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

When you lose a dog, do you think it is best to get another right away or is it better to wait for a period of time?

I customarily start looking within a week or two, just so my female boxer isn’t alone. She’s getting towards the end at almost 11 years old, and slowing down, so I’m not sure I want to bring another one in right away.

I don’t know if dogs realize loss in any form or significance the way we do, but she has survived the loss and outlived two brothers already. She definitely mopes around for a while after she loses them, but I think I want to spend time concentrating on her while she’s around. I’ve had her since she was a few months old.

She slept with her head on my chest back then, and she still does to this day. I’ll be a damn trainwreck when she leaves the planet.

Like Lloyd said...I think it’s up to each person as to when they are ready.

#1658 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I don’t know if dogs realize loss in any form or significance the way we do

I think dogs absolutely have feelings and realize when people or other animals around them die. I believe that they grieve and have emotions just like we do. Dogs are more intelligent than a lot of people think i believe. There are lots of studies that supposedly prove that dogs arent very smart, i dont believe that for a second.

#1659 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think dogs absolutely have feelings and realize when people or other animals around them die. I believe that they grieve and have emotions just like we do. Dogs are more intelligent than a lot of people think i believe. There are lots of studies that supposedly prove that dogs arent very smart, i dont believe that for a second.

I don’t believe that either. And that was my point. She definitely grieves, lays around and does nothing. Did it with Joey after he passed.

I just don’t know how long they grieve for. I guess now that she’s alone, she realizes it more as well. She hasn’t been alone in 11 years. I got Hank relatively quickly after Joey passed.

#1660 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think dogs absolutely have feelings and realize when people or other animals around them die.

They certainly have feelings but I’m not sure they recognize loss per se. The Williams Syndrome effect has an impact: https://www.insidescience.org/news/rare-human-syndrome-may-explain-why-dogs-are-so-friendly

#1661 5 years ago

You ever think that what we see as intelligence may not be all there is to it. There is defiantly more going on in the vast physical and spiritual universe than what we can perceive. Maybe dogs and other animals have something we could never see or know. We asshole humans certainly don’t deserve them

#1662 5 years ago

Nap time.

20190210_112615 (resized).jpg20190210_112615 (resized).jpg
#1663 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

They certainly have feelings but I’m not sure they recognize loss per se. The Williams Syndrome effect has an impact: https://www.insidescience.org/news/rare-human-syndrome-may-explain-why-dogs-are-so-friendly

Ive been in discussions with people who swear that dogs have no ability to reason or think. Two examples of why i disagree with that. #1 our old Lab would sometimes go downstairs and pee or poop on the basement floor when we was gone because she had trouble holding it because she was very old. The minute i would walk in the door she would drop her head and i knew. I would even try and call her over to the stairway and no way would she come over there in fear of me punishing her......which i never did by the way but i dont know how she was treated with her previous owners. But that is proof to me that her mind was working and that she had the ability to think

#2, this is a weird one that i cant understand at all. My dog now who is a rescue is scared totally shitless of 2 things. One is a fly swatter...i can understand that if he used to get hit by one. Heres the one where im stumped. He is scared absolutely to death of toenail clippers. Last nite im trimming my toenails and he pushed the bathroom door open and seen them and freaked out. He starts jumping at the door trying to get out of the house and he is crying like a baby and i mean hard and his heart is racing incredibly hard and hes panting like crazy from fear. He did this for about 1 whole hour and i couldn't calm him down at all.

We have had this dog about 15 months now and have never been anything but nice to him and he loves us to death. Ive never even so much as yelled at him. Nobody's dog gets treated any better trust me. I would love to know what the deal is with toenail and fingernail clippers are. How is that even scary at all? Also when he gets his nails trimmed at the groomer it doesn't scare him and he remains calm so its not that either. I for the life of me cannot understand this.

#1664 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

dogs have no ability to reason or think.

Edit: no response necessary...

#1665 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

It was a rough week last week. Lost one of my boxers, my boy Hank, to cancer. Worst feeling ever when you’re making that last trip to the vet.

Always chilled in the gameroom with me, and loved the speech and infinity lights on Xenon. Will absolutely be missed.

Sorry to hear about your pup Hank, I get what your saying about the last trip to the vet, I lost my boxer girl Ellie five years ago and it still stings. I still think about her all the time. But having my girls Allie and Poppy sure help! Figured I'd attach a pic. Tuckered out after some serious playing. They are wonderful boxers, always happy to see me! Dogs are better than most people I know!

IMG_9270 (resized).jpgIMG_9270 (resized).jpg
#1666 5 years ago

@Colson3, very sorry to read of your loss! It is a sad thing indeed. We've buried 5 of the 7 greyhounds we adopted over the years. We inevitably ended up with the ones no one else wanted due to ailing health and gave them as good of home for the rest of their days as we could. Some hung in for about a year, others a little over 3 years, but we are quick to become attached.
My heart goes out to you and your family!
In memoriam: Shelly & Johnny

iphone pics 103 (resized).jpgiphone pics 103 (resized).jpg1 136 (resized).jpg1 136 (resized).jpg23 august download 102 (resized).jpg23 august download 102 (resized).jpgiphone pics 275 (resized).jpgiphone pics 275 (resized).jpg
#1667 5 years ago
Quoted from jsandjs:

Sorry to hear about your pup Hank, I get what your saying about the last trip to the vet, I lost my boxer girl Ellie five years ago and it still stings.

Yeah, it doesn’t go away fast. Great looking pups there.

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

@Colson3, very sorry to read of your loss! It is a sad thing indeed.

Thanks George. Appreciate that. Great job with the greyhounds…my neighbor adopts greys as well. I think he has 4 right now.

Caught Jess sleeping in the game room, sad to watch her wander off on her own and just lay around. I don’t think she liked that I turned the lights on sporadically. So much gray in her face compared with the picture on the bottom with Hank from 4 years ago.

546F76D7-D317-4E54-9594-400DD889D647 (resized).jpeg546F76D7-D317-4E54-9594-400DD889D647 (resized).jpegC8971AF7-C1CB-4B98-B5CD-0823DB5E3BC4 (resized).jpegC8971AF7-C1CB-4B98-B5CD-0823DB5E3BC4 (resized).jpeg
#1668 5 years ago

Yours are fatties like mine.

#1669 5 years ago

Five years old today.

okra5 (resized).jpgokra5 (resized).jpg
#1670 5 years ago
Quoted from balt:

Five years old today.
[quoted image]

Wow....great looking dog you have there!

#1671 5 years ago
Quoted from balt:

Five years old today.
[quoted image]

Looks identical to mine just 5 years older ...pictured in avatar

#1672 5 years ago

Ok I am a crusty old pinball guy. This had me crying when I saw it, and again later in the day trying to show my wife.
We have somehow ended up with 5 rescue dogs and love them all.

https://wjla.com/news/local/gallery/virginia-animal-control-raises-thousands-for-pit-bull-that-was-set-on-fire

RICHMOND, Va. — On Sunday night, a pit bull was tied to a pole in Abner Clay Park in Richmond, covered in an accelerant, and set ablaze, says the city's animal control center.
Richmond Animal Care and Control is calling the unnamed pit bull Tommie. Tommie, who had burns over 40 percent of his body, was brought to Virginia Veterinary Centers for treatment.
RACC's posts about Tommie received tens of thousands of shares on Facebook, and their supporters quickly raised money to cover "above and beyond" the costs of his vet bills, the agency said. RICHMOND, Va. — On Sunday night, a pit bull was tied to a pole in Abner Clay Park in Richmond, covered in an accelerant, and set ablaze, says the city's animal control center.
Richmond Animal Care and Control is calling the unnamed pit bull Tommie. Tommie, who had burns over 40 percent of his body, was brought to Virginia Veterinary Centers for treatment.
RACC's posts about Tommie received tens of thousands of shares on Facebook, and their supporters quickly raised money to cover "above and beyond" the costs of his vet bills, the agency said.
"I have to say that we don't get rattled by much at RACC, and have witnessed many ugly cases, but this one makes us want to just sit on the floor and cry," RACC said in a Monday post. "We are all hoping that we might be able to save him."
In a Tuesday follow-up, RACC reported that due to the extent of his injuries, Tommie might not survive even despite his veterinarians' best efforts.
The agency is using excess donations to open a Tommie Reward that will go to anyone who provides information leading to the arrest and conviction of a suspect. Their non-profit foundation is accepting donations here.
The only suspect description available is from witnesses who saw an adult man who was wearing "multiple layers of pants" run away from the scene.

3a6b6e18-7d9b-4b6f-b8fd-426920b92978-large16x9_pitbull (resized).png3a6b6e18-7d9b-4b6f-b8fd-426920b92978-large16x9_pitbull (resized).pngb56ccb3d-817e-487a-aa4f-ca467c41c574-medium36x25_51742065_2853196738024636_553872501386510336_n (resized).jpgb56ccb3d-817e-487a-aa4f-ca467c41c574-medium36x25_51742065_2853196738024636_553872501386510336_n (resized).jpgdd2a5466-a0b4-4f5b-999c-bd06edb976b9-medium36x25_50843494_2853197148024595_2324563045080104960_n (resized).jpgdd2a5466-a0b4-4f5b-999c-bd06edb976b9-medium36x25_50843494_2853197148024595_2324563045080104960_n (resized).jpg Added over 5 years ago:

Follow up.

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — A Virginia animal shelter is opening its doors to show what it's doing with the money and items donated in honor of a dog that was set on fire.

WWBT-TV reports Richmond Animal Care and Control will be open to visitors all week in lieu of a memorial for the male brindle pit bull that died last week. The shelter says the dog named Tommie was tied to a pole at a city park, covered in accelerant and set on fire this month.

RELATED: Virginia animal control center raises thousands for pit bull that was set on fire, abandoned

The shelter says it initially planned to host a memorial for Tommie, but more than 6,000 people signed up to attend the service, so it changed the service's format.

The shelter says $25,000 is being offered as a reward for information leading to suspects in Tommie's abuse.

#1673 5 years ago
Quoted from alimerick:

Ok I am a crusty old pinball guy. This had me crying when I saw it, and again later in the day trying to show my wife.
We have somehow ended up with 5 rescue dogs and love them all.
https://wjla.com/news/local/gallery/virginia-animal-control-raises-thousands-for-pit-bull-that-was-set-on-fire
RICHMOND, Va. — On Sunday night, a pit bull was tied to a pole in Abner Clay Park in Richmond, covered in an accelerant, and set ablaze, says the city's animal control center.
RACC's posts about Tommie received tens of thousands of shares on Facebook, and their supporters quickly raised money to cover "above and beyond" the costs of his vet bills, the agency said. RICHMOND, Va. — On Sunday night, a pit bull was tied to a pole in Abner Clay Park in Richmond, covered in an accelerant, and set ablaze, says the city's animal control center.
RACC's posts about Tommie received tens of thousands of shares on Facebook, and their supporters quickly raised money to cover "above and beyond" the costs of his vet bills, the agency said.
"I have to say that we don't get rattled by much at RACC, and have witnessed many ugly cases, but this one makes us want to just sit on the floor and cry," RACC said in a Monday post. "We are all hoping that we might be able to save him."
In a Tuesday follow-up, RACC reported that due to the extent of his injuries, Tommie might not survive even despite his veterinarians' best efforts.
The agency is using excess donations to open a Tommie Reward that will go to anyone who provides information leading to the arrest and conviction of a suspect. Their non-profit foundation is accepting donations here.
The only suspect description available is from witnesses who saw an adult man who was wearing "multiple layers of pants" run away from the scene.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

WTF is wrong with people? Sick bastard. Thankful for people who do what you do.

#1674 5 years ago

OMG that poor baby!
Find the inhuman person that did that, set them ablaze!

Thank you for posting that story.

#1675 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

You took the words right out of my mouth. What ass would do that?

#1676 5 years ago

This knuckle head cracks me up everyday

IMG_1913 (resized).JPGIMG_1913 (resized).JPG
#1677 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

You took the words right out of my mouth. What ass would do that?

Hate to say it but theres A LOT of asses that do shit like that. Animal abuse happens all the time and it just makes me sick and extremely sad.

#1678 5 years ago

The consequences are a damn joke. They regularly walk away with some bullshit fine and community service. Whomever did that to that dog should be locked up period.

#1679 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Someone needs to go away! At the very least.....so sad!

#1680 5 years ago

Happy Valentines day to you!0

KIMG0084 (resized).JPGKIMG0084 (resized).JPGKIMG0085 (resized).JPGKIMG0085 (resized).JPG
#1681 5 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

The consequences are a damn joke. They regularly walk away with some bullshit fine and community service. Whomever did that to that dog should be locked up period.

Any human being that could do that to a dog would do the same thing to a human. They need to definitely be taken out of society.

#1682 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Any human being that could do that to a dog would do the same thing to a human. They need to definitely be taken out of society.

Whoever would do this should have the same thing done to them. It shouldn't be done to any living thing. But it is done to baby humans every day and it is legal. New York and Virginia just passed laws saying it can be done to babies right up to birth. I am sorry to bring this but it had to be said. No living thing should be treated this cruelly

#1683 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Whoever would do this should have the same thing done to them. It shouldn't be done to any living thing. But it is done to baby humans every day and it is legal. New York and Virginia just passed laws saying it can be done to babies right up to birth. I am sorry to bring this but it had to be said. No living thing should be treated this cruelly

What? We can chain babies to fences and burn them?!

#1684 5 years ago

I saw a ding on the net that said Tommy died last night. His body just gave up. I hope they catch the guy that did it and beat him to a pulp.

#1685 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I saw a ding on the net that said Tommy died last night. His body just gave up. I hope they catch the guy that did it and beat him to a pulp.

Very sad

#1686 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Rest in peace. And I hope the guy who did this dies a slow death pinned under his burning car.

#1687 5 years ago

Here's a happy post. I hate reading sad things about dogs...

Our two mini schnauzers. These dogs are spoiled beyond belief. Love the absolute crap out of them!

20181130_200256 (resized).jpg20181130_200256 (resized).jpg20190127_220106 (resized).jpg20190127_220106 (resized).jpg
#1688 5 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Our two mini schnauzers. These dogs are spoiled beyond belief. Love the absolute crap out of them!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Pup in the first pic has amazing eyebrows! Almost has a raccoon mask. I love it.

#1689 5 years ago
66707f942ed5f597bb5b310b20de95d7d41ece7d.jpg66707f942ed5f597bb5b310b20de95d7d41ece7d.jpg
#1690 5 years ago

Understand Diesel but how did you get Matilda to sit still for picture

#1691 5 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Pup in the first pic has amazing eyebrows! Almost has a raccoon mask. I love it.

Ha - thanks! She's got very distinct markings that really accentuate her current emotional state. See the pic below we took this past summer on the deck. When she's happy, she shows it!

IMG_3354 (resized).JPGIMG_3354 (resized).JPG
#1692 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Understand Diesel but how did you get Matilda to sit still for picture

The cold lol

#1693 5 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Me too. Can we refrain from posting stories and pics about animal abuse in this thread?

#1694 5 years ago

That one was kindof a happy post because the dog was rescued and was being cared for. You know if he has survive there would be people standing in line to adopt him. I would have. You sound like my daughter. If I start to tell her a story she interrupts and tells me not to tell the story if it is sad. She ran over a cat that ran in front of her and she pulled over and cried. My whole family loves animals more than people.

#1695 5 years ago

How about this one... this goofball gets so hot I think he may spontaneously combust!!

E22A753C-BE70-40A9-833F-2FFA6825171C (resized).jpegE22A753C-BE70-40A9-833F-2FFA6825171C (resized).jpeg
#1696 5 years ago

Doesn't matter which machine, Zoey is always there.

20190218_162327 (resized).jpg20190218_162327 (resized).jpg
#1697 5 years ago
Quoted from twhtalm:

Doesn't matter which machine, Zoey is always there.

Gotta love that face

#1699 5 years ago

Beautiful thanks for sharing

#1700 5 years ago

Here's my gentleman. His name is Hulk. He weighs in at 153 lbs. We got him from a family that couldn't take care of him. They left him in a crate all day and a doggy day care all night.

We have 3 kids and a big backyard, and we live right next to a dog playground. He gets lots of love in our house!

IMG-20180912-WA0002 (resized).jpgIMG-20180912-WA0002 (resized).jpgIMG-20180912-WA0004 (resized).jpgIMG-20180912-WA0004 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
There are 7,032 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 141.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dogs-rule/page/34?hl=looking4firstpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.