• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Help.jpg
dogies_drain.jpg
#1 11 years ago

My beloved Bally Dogies is driving me nuts. It's up and running at 100%, except that it has a nasty habit of draining right down the middle, with no chance for the player to touch it. This happens, on average, 2 balls in a 5 ball game. Something's not right, and I'm hoping you all might have some suggestions for adjustment.

See attached image for the path the ball takes to drain. On shooting the ball into play, if it bounces off the top right pop bumper (once or multiple times), it stands a good chance of bouncing straight to the right, where it will hit the curved metal piece there. The metal piece is not very bouncy, so the ball doesn't rebound back to the bumper -- instead it drains immediately and irretrievably, via the path indicated by the black arrows.

I've tried leveling the playfield differently, and I don't really know what else to do! Anybody have any tips on fixing this? It kinda ruins the fun about 40% of the time.

dogies_drain.jpgdogies_drain.jpg

#2 11 years ago

(photo is from ipdb, by the way)

#3 11 years ago

Based on your arrows, it looks like you are getting some bounce off the lane guide. You could try adding some drop dead foam to the lane guide. That should make the ball mostly stop, then roll directly along the path of the lane guide and feeds the right flipper. Pinbits sells the foam.

#4 11 years ago

Check your playfield slope and make sure your PF is level!

#5 11 years ago

Pull the tilt off and leave plenty of room for nudging the machine around.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Solder_Splash:

This. Slope and drains on EMs can drastically be changed by small adjustments.

#7 11 years ago

2 out of 5 house balls? That is normal for this era. Actually I'm surprised it isn't higher.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Based on your arrows, it looks like you are getting some bounce off the lane guide. You could try adding some drop dead foam to the lane guide. That should make the ball mostly stop, then roll directly along the path of the lane guide and feeds the right flipper. Pinbits sells the foam.

Yeah, it's the lane guide, and it's supposed to feed the right flipper. Would the foam stick out into the playfield? I wouldn't want it to obstruct the shot up the lane guide to the mushroom bumper at the top left. In any case, thanks for the suggestion, I might go with that.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Solder_Splash:

Is there a "correct" slope? When I've looked into this online, I've found only a lack of consensus. I've adjusted the slope several times, and I think it's the best possible now. Less or more slope just means it will be a slightly different bounce that drains, but the same basic problem.

By "level," you mean right to left, correct?

#10 11 years ago

How 'bout bending the metal rail guide slightly?

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from textrivers:

Would the foam stick out into the playfield?

No. It's very thin high density foam. Search on drop dead foam at pinbits. Pitch should be set to around 5 degrees.

If you haven't tried already, you may want to wax the playfield. On an older game, waxing the playfield can change play noticeably. Might not fix your problem, but it couldn't hurt.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from ninjadoug:

2 out of 5 house balls? That is normal for this era. Actually I'm surprised it isn't higher.

If that's the case, I guess my only option would be learning how to play better.... and that's been going pretty slow, so far....

#13 11 years ago

Put a drywall screw right between the flippers.
Seriously check your left to right and make sure you're level check at top of playfield and bottom.
I've always found EM's play best at 5-6 degrees incline.

#14 11 years ago

Get some small diameter plastic tube. The type that feeds windscreen washer jets is OK, at least here in the UK. Cut a length to suit the ball guide. Then cut a slot along one side using a Stanley (Exacto) knife. Slip it on the edge of the ball guide. It's only thin so won't add mech to the guide size, it can't easily be noticed and it should deaden the bounce a bit. I've used it on Perspex guides to stop the ball chewing their edges and it works fine.
Remember, these old games were built to earn operators money, not to give the players long, enjoyable games. If you think yours is hard, try a sixties wedge head. They can drain balls faster than you can shoot 'em.

#15 11 years ago

Is the center of the PF board bowed down so the ball favors the middle?

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

Is the center of the PF board bowed down so the ball favors the middle?

My eyeball sees no daylight under a straight edge. So, no bow, yo.

#17 11 years ago

The nudge will be your friend
I was showing a friend of mine that just a soft nudge when the ball is up top can have an influence on the ball direction , her game improved big time once she got the reaction/timing to apply the nudge

#18 11 years ago

You showed her the nudge eh?
Alex

#19 11 years ago

Its more about playing then modifying the rail, etc. when its up near that bumper you need to be actively nudging or working that rail to avoid the situation - this seems normal to me. Make sure as others said its level side to side, but I wouldnt be modifying the game - these older games can be brutal - thats why you get 5 balls and not 3.

#20 11 years ago

If you can reach the suggested high scores with practice then I wouldn't see it as an issue.

#21 11 years ago

JMO, but those older (60's) Bally games are notorious for House balls. I would say 40% is a bit much, but not unheard of. I own a few 60's Bally's and my biggest offender is my Trio , followed closely by the bus stop then the campus queen. But House balls are the norm.

We must remember these machines were made to make the operator money, so long ball times were not in the operators interest .

I agree with many of the others , make the tilt a bit liberal and Nudge that machine.
I would love to add a doggies to my collection, consider yourself lucky to own one.

Have fun
Brian Lenker
Madison Hts, MI

#22 11 years ago

On a short flipper EM, 40% house tax is about exactly right. On games of that era you are basically trying to get that "one good ball".

#23 11 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and information! I'll lower the tilt setting, and my expectations.

#24 11 years ago

Looking at the OP imagine, Is there a slot in the bottom of the plastic over the offending side rail? Is so then you should be able to re-position the angle of the side rail and change the angle.

Help.jpgHelp.jpg

#25 11 years ago

Chrisbee, thanks for the help. The image is from ipdb, though.

#26 11 years ago

That's a good eye Chrisbee.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dogies-down-the-drain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.