Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 113 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Theresa1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3604 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3614 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3386 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2949 (resized).JPG
    Min Pin.jpg
    Toy Party Poodle.jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20160907_154842473 (resized).jpg
    gr (resized).png
    IMG_3467 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    sweet pea (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Actually if you look up Whippets characteristics they fit the bill for what you want. I think it may be the same as an Italian Greyhound though?

My understanding is a whippet is different from an Italian Greyhound in that it is the in the middle size between an Italian and full size greyhound. All greyhounds and sub sects of same are great dogs, no doubt.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

I'm guessing you are referring to German Shorthair Pointers.

I think she is referring to a vizla, which is a great animal but doesn't fit the criteria she is looking for either.

As an aside, any animal that comes into our home is a super duper lucky dog. PavBall is asking these questions because she is looking for as good of a possible fit for us as she can, which is the responsible thing to do.

My law partner brings her dog to the office, PavBall wants to do the same, which will be interesting. South Louisiana is a super (almost ridiculously) hot place, about half the dog breeds in existence would not be happy there in the climate, so that eliminates a lot of the larger calmer dog breeds from her criteria.

Rescue dogs are wonderful, no doubt. People who adopt a pet are doing a great thing for the animal and themselves. Dogs are, however, slaves to their genetics in many ways and it is important to have a good fit - that is the most fair thing to the pet and the family.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

If you decide on a poodle, I beg of you, please do not go the froufrou route with grooming!

Two of my favorite dogs I see every football season (they literally have not missed a home game in six years!).

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Very few dogs dont shed, so if that is a strick criteria then you are limiting yourself to the poodle types. Many of the short hair dogs will still shed but it is manageable since it is less total hair. The non-shedding breeds tend to have behavioral traits you dont want.

I agree with this 100%. Add to that the weather in Louisiana mandates many breeds not be considered at all.

Quoted from Whysnow:

No matter what dog you get, it is always a shale of the dice with both genetics and behaviors. I would say it sounds like you definitely are looking for a more mature dog. I would seek out a 5+ year old pitbull/retriever mix of the shorter hair variety.

I agree with this as well but she's concerned the pitbull mixes might be dangerous or unpredictable, I disagree with that but recognize they have that reputation so I'm not trying to dissuade her from the view.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from PavBall:

Thank you Thank you!! What a great survey, I just took it...
    Answers that are right for me are mostly all in the terrier and schnauzer family. The Portugese Water Dog and Italian Greyhound also came up. I had 19 matches from the questions.

Just as an update, we are now taking a bunch of these different surveys and reading through the results closely. There is a lot of data out there and we are planning to take our time with this ten plus year decision. We did not know surveys like this were available online and they are all very informative.

PavBall came to this group for the questions because we spend so much time on Pinside and know so many of you through here and the shows and what not.

I'm also surprised how good of a match the surveys feel we are with schnauzers, basically any type of schnauzer or sub sec of same seems to fit us well.

I am an experienced dog owner but this decision is ultimately PavBall's so I want her to find the perfect little friend for us.

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

One question, why does Pavball need a dog when she already has you?

So true! She wants one that is easier to de-flea than me I guess.

1 month later
    #77 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Get a normal sized pit, not a "Pocket Pit (~25lb)" because those always get eaten by snakes in the South.

Oh my, I hope PavBall doesn't log back in and see that. That's simply awful!

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheBrewhouse:

Pavball, i recommend a standard poodle. No drool, zero shed, and great with kids. Below is a pic of my dog, he is about 60 lbs so not too big and not so small you are going to step on him. As you can see they look like normal dogs if you do not give them the embarrassing poodle cut.

I'm a big fan of this breed.

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from Davidus56:

Gorkie. Mix of a Corgie and a Yorkie

If it looks like your avatar image then I think we'll take a big pass on that one!!!

1 month later
    #87 7 years ago

And the winner, who joined our family today, was the Standard Poodle.

Please meet the newest member of our family, Megatron:

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#88 7 years ago

We agreed no dog on the couch, we've already rethought that position. He likes it up here.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

1 week later
    #96 7 years ago

Here is how I have to drive to work now with Megatron, he's decided this is his seat in the car:
    image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#103 7 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

We are thinking of getting a giant schnauzer. We have a mini schnauzer and I want a big dog to be home with my wife and kids in the day.
    Anyone have a giant?

We considered one. We also considered, heavily, a Black Russian Terrier (which has a lot of Giant Schnauzer in him).

We visited with several breeders though and they felt we were not a good fit for either (at this time) with a small child and one strongly recommended a Standard Poodle to us (which was advice we took).

#104 7 years ago

By the way, for those wondering what Megatron is doing right now, I took this picture under my desk 60 seconds ago (he comes to work with PavBall and me every day):

IMG_2949 (resized).JPGIMG_2949 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dog-suggestions-please?tu=tigerlaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.