Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 113 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Theresa1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3604 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3614 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3386 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2949 (resized).JPG
    Min Pin.jpg
    Toy Party Poodle.jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20160907_154842473 (resized).jpg
    gr (resized).png
    IMG_3467 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    sweet pea (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pavball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I'm looking for a dog breed that is good in families, does not require lots of exercise, is happy in warm environments like Louisiana, and does not slobber or shed in unreasonable amounts. The dog would live inside the house with the family, not in the backyard.

Tiger says an Italian Greyhound meets these requirements. I was hoping for a larger dog. What suggestions do you all have?

Addition through edit for clarification: I never said no exercise. That was a huge jump from what I said by Whysnow and Beezleboob and completely recharacterized what I said unfairly and in a bad light. Thank you to those that did not jump to the conclusions of Whysnow and Beezleboob.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

DONT GET A DOG!
    Until you change this idea then you probably should not own a dog.
    You sound more like a cat person, or possibly a goldfish to start.

Just wow! I'm going to exercise the dog, but different dogs require different levels of exercise. If you think an English Bulldog would enjoy running and jogging with its owner every day as much as a boxer would you are flat kidding yourself.

A pug does not require the same level of exercise as a Doberman. I Great Dane does not require the same level of exercise as a lab.

Just because I'm looking for a low energy dog doesn't mean I should not have one.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Dogs need exercise, and it's not fair to the dog to have an owner that doesn't want to commit at least an hour a day to walk the dog or throw the ball with them.

Where did the idea come from that I don't want to play with the dog? That's a big jump from my asking about low energy dogs.

No, I don't want to run a marathon with the dog every day. I want to sit in the back yard and throw her a ball. I want her not to shed and not to drool so she can come to work in the morning with me, I don't want to leave her home alone all day like so many people do.

I'm surprised by some of the responses here. There is a perfect dog for all people that love animals, I'm just looking for one that will fit in with my situation.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Weimeraner fits all of your criteria except exercise, mine is a frisbee dog so I just throw the frisbee 30 minutes a day to get some of her energy out.

Thank you for this and some of the other good responses. I appreciate it. I will research the Weimeraner and the brown dog that I see it is related to.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

Tough call. It depends on your definition of 'lots of exercise'. Do you have a large fenced in yard? Will you be able to walk it at least once a day? You say good with families; however, that also depends upon what is in the family. Some breeds are better with small children. ( For example, while the Italian greyhound is a very sweet breed they do tend to be very 'fragile' so maybe not a great choice with small kids that may grab a leg) What about other pets? Another dog or a cat? Do you have family or friends with pets that you will welcome into the home? If you don't want any shedding, then you are better off with the curly coated dogs like poodles and water spaniel. Some breeds shed constantly while others tend to blow out their coats a couple of times a year but have minimal shedding between those events. IS that OK? Most breeds will be good with a family if socialized properly; however, some have a predisposition toward bonding to a single person. As you would expect, hunting breeds that work with other dogs tend to be more social than sight hounds but that is simply a tendency. If you toss out some breeds that interest you, I think you may be able to get some better thoughts.

Thank you. Let me address some answers to you.

Yes, large fenced in back yard, one half of an acre, but only a five foot fence and it can't be made higher due to fencing restrictions. I'd like the exercise to be primarily in the back yard.

No family or friends with pets that come into the house and we have no other pets.

Small child, our friends bring their children over frequently and they are multiple ages.

The dog would be regularly groomed. Dogs that shed would be off the table as the dog would come to my office three days a week and hang out. The dog must not have aggressive tendencies or this feature would not work. One other dog is at my office a lot, a golden retriever (groomed every week) and she does fine but is a mature dog.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

The best advice I can give is do an online survey. I think we took one from the purina dog food web site.

Thank you Thank you!! What a great survey, I just took it...

Answers that are right for me are mostly all in the terrier and schnauzer family. The Portugese Water Dog and Italian Greyhound also came up. I had 19 matches from the questions.

4 months later
    #110 7 years ago

After a nice long walk Megatron is exhausted.

IMG_3386 (resized).JPGIMG_3386 (resized).JPG

#111 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I hear you and Tiger are expecting, congratulations. I guess no tequila for you at the Houston show.

Yay!! Thank you!! Yes, no tequila for me in Houston this year.

3 weeks later
    #112 7 years ago

Megatron is doing great!!

IMG_3614 (resized).JPGIMG_3614 (resized).JPGIMG_3604 (resized).JPGIMG_3604 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pavball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dog-suggestions-please?tu=pavball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.