Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 113 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Theresa1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3604 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3614 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3386 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2949 (resized).JPG
    Min Pin.jpg
    Toy Party Poodle.jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20160907_154842473 (resized).jpg
    gr (resized).png
    IMG_3467 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    sweet pea (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BD_Designs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 7 years ago

Greyhounds are actually a wonderful breed and, personally, I would recommend them to anyone. I had two greyhounds (at different times) growing up and they were excellent pets. They do enjoying getting outside to run laps but they are pretty low-key dogs and are not hyper. They do love attention, but that can be said about most dogs and most greyhounds will just go lay down if they aren't being given attention. They managed just fine here in the Houston heat & humidity, but of course you need to keep them hydrated like any other breed. Although they are short-haired dogs, they do shed and you'll want to brush them periodically, but it's quite manageable. One characteristic that always stood out to me is that they are pretty schedule-driven dogs. They have an incredible internal clock and if you get them on a schedule in terms of when you'll be home, when they are supposed to be fed, walked, etc., then they'll expect to stick by it. That's not to say that they can't manage long days if you're going to be gone for a while. We were able to leave them at home for a ~12-hour day if we had to make a day trip somewhere and they were perfectly fine, but I'd say that would be the maximum amount of time to leave them alone without someone letting them outside. In regards to the gas issue that blondetall mentioned above, it's true, but we also found that only giving them a certain type or brand of dry dog food helped prevent that. We only fed our dogs once a day (as opposed to always leaving a bowl out) and they were perfectly fine and healthy.

Overall though, they are pretty low-maintenance pets, in my opinion. Greyhounds are incredibly sweet dogs and are extremely loving. They do not lick and they seldom ever bark. They are very quiet and sleep a lot so it's not like you have to keep them entertained constantly. The only time they might slobber is when they're eating. Otherwise, they don't slobber at all.

I sincerely miss our greyhounds and when the time comes that I want to get another dog, it will likely be a greyhound. There are so many of them that need good homes when they are retired from racing and forgotten about. Honestly, I think they serve a much greater purpose and get a lot more out of life as pets than they do as race dogs. They are usually retired when they are only 2-3 years old and on average they live to be 11-12 years so they have a ton of life and enjoyment left after retirement.

So if you like Italian greyhounds but want a larger, less hyper, and less fragile version, then I would go with a greyhound.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BD_Designs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dog-suggestions-please?tu=BD_Designs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.