Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 113 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Theresa1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3604 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3614 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3386 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2949 (resized).JPG
    Min Pin.jpg
    Toy Party Poodle.jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20160907_154842473 (resized).jpg
    gr (resized).png
    IMG_3467 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    sweet pea (resized).jpg
    There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Also the breed of the dog is less important then the temperament and training; any breed can be kind or crazy.

Yep...and unfortunately, people will often train/treat a dog based on their expectations of breed tendencies. You mentioned Rottweilers (but it goes for all the 'bully' breeds). People will get them to feed their ego and desire to portray a macho image. As a result, they won't discourage but rather encourage aggressive play as puppies. They think it's funny when the puppy acts in an aggressive manner and then can't figure out why they can't control them as adults. Some of the softest, sweetest dogs I've known were Rottweilers. It's really a shame that people have destroyed the reputation of some of these great dogs to the point where you cant even own them in some localities. Sorry to stray from the topic...

#52 7 years ago

Hurricane.

Oh wait! You're talking about actual 4-legged dogs? A hound or beagle kinda fits some of your criteria.

#54 7 years ago

You should definitely consider a mix breed as there are many mix breed at shelters. And don't go by what the shelter has listed as the dog's breed as they may be inacurate. They may list a dog as part pitbull when that is not the case.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Just as an update, we are now taking a bunch of these different surveys and reading through the results closely. There is a lot of data out there and we are planning to take our time with this ten plus year decision. We did not know surveys like this were available online and they are all very informative.
    PavBall came to this group for the questions because we spend so much time on Pinside and know so many of you through here and the shows and what not.
    I'm also surprised how good of a match the surveys feel we are with schnauzers, basically any type of schnauzer or sub sec of same seems to fit us well.
    I am an experienced dog owner but this decision is ultimately PavBall's so I want her to find the perfect little friend for us.

One question, why does Pavball need a dog when she already has you?

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

One question, why does Pavball need a dog when she already has you?

So true! She wants one that is easier to de-flea than me I guess.

#57 7 years ago

3a8469827a05f914beaa93c719ab17c34db94d18_(resized).jpg3a8469827a05f914beaa93c719ab17c34db94d18_(resized).jpg

#58 7 years ago

'Bout time.

#59 7 years ago

The best family dogs are definitely Labs. They range from 40 to 100+ depending on style, parents, and how much you feed it. Mine does slobber though. I don't know if that is normal.

My kids use our 100 lb chocolate lab like he is a play gym and the dog absolutely loves it. Ours doesn't really like exercise such as jogs. He wears down quick, but he will gladly take any walk you'll give him.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from SteveO:

You should definitely consider a mix breed as there are many mix breed at shelters. And don't go by what the shelter has listed as the dog's breed as they may be inacurate. They may list a dog as part pitbull when that is not the case.

Agreed. Especially if they feed you this kinda bs:
    mixed_breed_bs_(resized).jpgmixed_breed_bs_(resized).jpg

#62 7 years ago

Didn't realize schnauzers don't shed. I haven't met a bad schnauzer, might be the right one for you guys. They seem to have just enough of that terrier attitude and work ethic without being obnoxious and out of control, at least the ones I have met.

#63 7 years ago

If you want a small hous dog a miniature schnauzer. They don't shed and are friendly little dogs. We just got our second one and she is a sweetheart. I think they are mostly house dogs and don't do well in the heat but I line in New Braunfels Texas and it's hotter than hell right now.

Chris Kruger

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#64 7 years ago

Poodle. They come in all sizes. Mine are teacups and the smallest is 3.5lbs and biggest is 7lbs. But they come fairly large as well. No shedding, period. No slobbering. Smart as whips and good tempered.

#65 7 years ago

Looking for a larger dog , here's what I would suggest. There are rescue organizations for great danes , grey hounds and pitbulls. My recommendation would be for the great dane if you want larger they are very calm docile dogs, very loving and will be great with your kids . They require exercise but not as much as say a border collie or golden retriever, which I have owned before . Yes they do shed but not overly much. They are hard to place because of size. Also I suggest the shelters as well, my current dog is from there and he is a social butterfly. Always make sure you test drive the dog first , take a walk and check out if your compatible. Greyhounds are lovely dogs who are often abused because of the racing aspect, some are never allowed out of their cages for very long periods of time. Do not buy a dog!!!! Need any other advice, pm me. Str8cash's wife, Rosy.

#66 7 years ago

Pavball & Tiger,

Hope things work out with the new dog search.
    If you struggle to find one that meets your needs, then keep an open mind and consider some other type of pet that could be a part of your family, and be entertaining and fun for you and your guests.
    For example, how about some type of parrot. They are fairly smart and pick up on phrases, words of songs, etc.

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

how about some type of parrot. They are fairly smart and pick up on phrases

Have you ever see Eric the legend on you tube. He has many great phrases like, shoo ya bastards and I'm a Fuken legend.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Pavball & Tiger,
    Hope things work out with the new dog search.
    If you struggle to find one that meets your needs, then keep an open mind and consider some other type of pet that could be a part of your family, and be entertaining and fun for you and your guests.
    For example, how about some type of parrot. They are fairly smart and pick up on phrases, words of songs, etc.
    » YouTube video

» YouTube video

Didn't know you had a parrot. I've had an African Grey for 26 years. Incredible animals. You just have to get past the annoying "teen years" when they have a tendency to bite just for fun, apparently.

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from maestro:

Poodle. They come in all sizes. Mine are teacups and the smallest is 3.5lbs and biggest is 7lbs. But they come fairly large as well. No shedding, period. No slobbering. Smart as whips and good tempered.

This is probably your best way or a poodle bred with a lab or golden retriever. You aren't supposed to get shedding or slower and all are smart dogs, good with families. Beware though, my wife had a friend with a Golden Doodle that was still allergic, if that is a problem. That isn't supposed to happen, but maybe the dog had more retriever than poodle.

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Have you ever see Eric the legend on you tube. He has many great phrases like, shoo ya bastards and I'm a Fuken legend.

Thanks LHD. I had not watched Eric in action before. He's a character.
    Eric got mad when Lester said: let's put your harness on. Eric proceeded to call Lester a Fuckin Fuckhead.

OK, Pav & Tiger, perhaps we should just focus back on dogs for now. Let's keep Eric the Legend in mind as an option.

#71 7 years ago

I figured somebody would have suggested this by now. I do believe this variety sheds among other things

dog_(resized).PNGdog_(resized).PNG

2 weeks later
    #72 7 years ago

Since our last rescue pup lasted 16 years I was ready for a break from dogs but family convinced me to get another. 7 month old guy someone bought at a pet store for $1300 and realized an apt. wasn't great for him so they gave him up to a shelter. I got him for the cost of vet checkup...

LOKI_DOG_(resized).JPGLOKI_DOG_(resized).JPG

1 month later
    #73 7 years ago

We love our French Bull dog! He is happiest when he is at my side or sleeping, at just over 30 pounds he is easy to take places
    We rescued Noah from a bad home, he is an awesome family dog!

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#74 7 years ago

I'd check with your insurance company and see if there are breeds they won't cover or will raise your home owners insurance.

I'd recommend a rescue. Avoid puppy mills.

#75 7 years ago

I'd get a well bred American Pitbull Terrier.

They love kids. Literally kids can pull their nutsack, eat out of their bowl, or try to touch their eyes and they just take it all in stride.

They are short haired, not droolers, not shedders, don't have to be groomed, don't get black stains around their eyes, don't have to have their anal glands drained at the vet, don't have to get tails or ears docked to be "breed standard", don't get hip dysplasia, don't get skin allergies, don't get "stomach flip" if they exercise right after eating, they can eat any people food - including chocolate that everyone says is poisonous to other dogs, they sleep about 23.5 hours a day and live to be 13 years old....they are just plain low maintenance dog.

Pits love kids (resized).pngPits love kids (resized).png

Get a normal sized pit, not a "Pocket Pit (~25lb)" because those always get eaten by snakes in the South.

Pitbull Get Extracted from the Giant Snake That Just Ate It 6 (resized).jpgPitbull Get Extracted from the Giant Snake That Just Ate It 6 (resized).jpg

#76 7 years ago

Old post, but do not get a Weimaraner. Sames goes for German Short Hairs and Vizslas. They are high energy, nervous dogs, prone to separation anxiety. Great dogs for the right owners, but not low energy even after they have been properly exercised.

Greyhounds are a good choice. They do like a brief amount of exercise everyday, but they are not a marathon animal.

I would recommend a basset hound except for the drooling part. Indypinhead has my old one and she doesn't drool. My current one slings drool all over the walls and slimes you from time to time. Flipeside is they are low energy, good in small spaces, loyal as can be, and make a decent guard dog when people cannot see what is making that loud bark.

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Get a normal sized pit, not a "Pocket Pit (~25lb)" because those always get eaten by snakes in the South.

Oh my, I hope PavBall doesn't log back in and see that. That's simply awful!

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Oh my, I hope PavBall doesn't log back in and see that. That's simply awful!

Blame all those idiots who let their pet snakes go in the woods because they don't want to take care of them anymore.

You always hear about some giant snake eating dogs, kids or their caretakers in FL, LA or TX.

American Pitbulls are typically fearless protectors, so they get themselves eaten.

FL now has a python hunt where you kill those MFers with shotguns for cash:

Python July 9, 2015 (resized).jpgPython July 9, 2015 (resized).jpg

#79 7 years ago

Pavball, i recommend a standard poodle. No drool, zero shed, and great with kids. Below is a pic of my dog, he is about 60 lbs so not too big and not so small you are going to step on him. As you can see they look like normal dogs if you do not give them the embarrassing poodle cut.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheBrewhouse:

Pavball, i recommend a standard poodle. No drool, zero shed, and great with kids. Below is a pic of my dog, he is about 60 lbs so not too big and not so small you are going to step on him. As you can see they look like normal dogs if you do not give them the embarrassing poodle cut.

I'm a big fan of this breed.

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheBrewhouse:

do not give them the embarrassing poodle cut.

There's nothing wrong with a good lion cut on a poodle. They look cool.

But I'd stay away from a French poodle cut, thats pretty hilarious.

#82 7 years ago

My suggestions; beagle or long hair chihuaua (sp?). Have had both and they were great
    companions. Strongly agree with getting a shelter dog. Consider a kitten too.
    Steve

#83 7 years ago

Dachshunds are the only real K9. All the rest are imposters.

sweet pea (resized).jpgsweet pea (resized).jpg

#84 7 years ago

We live in LA and have a mini schnauzer. We bought him from a breeder out near Houma. Great dogs, even better if you train them properly. Make sure to socialize them well with other dogs and people as part of training.

We do not leave him out long in the summer, but he seems fine with the heat all the same. Schnauzers have a different coat than most dogs but do not shed and are not very high maintenance. You'll have to groom them enough to prevent matting though.

#85 7 years ago

Gorkie. Mix of a Corgie and a Yorkie

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from Davidus56:

Gorkie. Mix of a Corgie and a Yorkie

If it looks like your avatar image then I think we'll take a big pass on that one!!!

1 month later
    #87 7 years ago

And the winner, who joined our family today, was the Standard Poodle.

Please meet the newest member of our family, Megatron:

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#88 7 years ago

We agreed no dog on the couch, we've already rethought that position. He likes it up here.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#89 7 years ago

We have a "dorky", half yorkie and half dauschund. ZERO shedding, super friendly, gets tired quickly with exercise "her legs are only 6 inches long", over all super fun dog. We even have her trained to go in a litter area like a cat, super easy to clean up after.
    Loves to snuggle with you.

IMG_3467 (resized).JPGIMG_3467 (resized).JPG

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

We agreed no dog on the couch, we've already rethought that position. He likes it up here.

You could always throw some old sheets on it if you are worried about it getting dirty.

#91 7 years ago

We got our first Golden Retriever 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. He is pure bread. Best family/kids dog we've ever owned. He does need a lot of exercise everyday.

gr (resized).pnggr (resized).png

#92 7 years ago

DON'T BUY A DOG IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO EXCERCISE IT.

1 week later
    #93 7 years ago

Megatron got to meet a lot of people and helped host his first pinball tournament and party (Romp in the Swamp II) yesterday. He handled himself quite well all day & night. Even caught his second wind at around 11:15 pm last night and decided it was playtime, bouncing around the house.

#94 7 years ago

I recommend rescuing an adult dog. 1-2 years old at least.

Very very hard to meet all your requirements. You're most like going to have to deal with one. So if you can deal with shedding go rescue for sure. Hard to find non shedding rescues as I'm sure they get snatched up quick.

#95 7 years ago

Great choice! Poodles are very loyal & playful.
    Here's my side kick, Caesar(Chihuahua). He normally rides on the arm rest, I put him on the dash for the pic.

IMG_20160907_154842473 (resized).jpgIMG_20160907_154842473 (resized).jpg

#96 7 years ago

Here is how I have to drive to work now with Megatron, he's decided this is his seat in the car:

#97 7 years ago

Anyone have a Poogle? Half poodle, half beagle. Wondering about their temperament, barking, etc...

#98 7 years ago

We have a toy party poodle that is very smart and great with children, the only downside is having to get him groomed often. We used to have a miniature pinscher and I really miss him. He was small, smart, and very affectionate. Someday I will get another miniature pinscher-great breed.

Toy Party Poodle.jpgToy Party Poodle.jpg

Min Pin.jpgMin Pin.jpg

#99 7 years ago

Miniature pinscher... that's a thing!!!?? I need one.

#100 7 years ago

miniature schnauzers and miniature pinschers (min pins) are pretty awesome

my brother has had 3 minature schnauzer's now and has had great dogs in all three. the 2nd to last one had a min-pin as a buddy. it was funny as all hell watching those two little dogs play and tear through what I called their "motocross course" between a few houses, including a section through the min-pin's owner's waterfall and pond

There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dog-suggestions-please/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.