image (resized).jpeg
93EE8E6F-D062-421E-8419-649F96DB2A62 (resized).jpeg
20180603_112733 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1528039437147 (resized).jpg
sptiz (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2018-06-02-14-08-48 (resized).png
Screenshot_2018-06-02-14-07-46 (resized).png
E6A62E67-CD3B-44CD-AAD1-C4ECA01FE917 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldgoat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 5 years ago

I would go with a rescue from a reputable organization. Pretty much all breeds will have a rescue org. Here is the one for Frenchie's: http://www.frenchbulldogrescue.org/ . Unlike pounds and shelters, rescue orgs will foster dogs in homes, typically with lots of other animals, kids, etc. They will expose the dog to a variety of stimuli and different situations. They will be able to provide you intimate information on the disposition of the animal. Submissive or dominant, good around other animals, good in social settings, good around children, barker, playful or laid-back. Further, they will spend a good bit of time understanding you and your situation. Fenced yard, keep indoors, ability to exercise, will dog be left alone for long periods, etc. They will even perform a site visit. In fact, this is one way to tell if you are dealing with a reputable rescue org. This is the best way to get a dog that meets both your circumstances and the needs of the dog. The downside is it can take a good bit of time to find a good match.

Now, just to be clear, I am all for taking dogs from shelters...my wife and I have always supported the local Humane Society. In the OP's situation, I feel that reducing as many unknowns as possible is the best path. If you are getting a puppy or you have the experience, time and desire to deal with potential behavioral issues of an older dog, please do explore the local shelter.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Have you checked into getting an official service dog? We are looking to get one for our son. He had a stroke and has epilepsy, cp and autism. Not sure, but Medicaid or insurance would probably pay for your service dog. Our son will be able to get one at no cost. Check with your local special needs agency

If, in fact, the OP can get a service dog, this would definitely be ideal and certainly worth looking into!

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from KoolFingers:

That's probably the best way. They can fit a dog to your needs and know what works best. Good luck and keep us posted on what you get.

Yes, very interested to know how it turns out. (Related sidebar. Had a friend that was involved in the training/socialization of service dogs. Don't know how she did it. You are with the dogs all the time, at home, at work, you name it. You have it for six months or so and then give it up to the owner. She had a lab once and was just praying it would be selected for the breeding program since, if selected, it would not be entered into service and she would be able to keep it. It kills me to lose a dog...not sure I could do it every six months even though I knew it was answering a higher call. Hats off to those who do it)

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

My fiancée works with a relative of a French bulldog breeder. I found out yesterday evening.
Their about to have pups. We are going to get one of them. After they are born, they are going to keep ours and potty train and other basic training. (Maybe some socializing too.)
I also have friend who is a vet. This will help. Hopefully this will all work out. Pictures will follow but I am thinking at this point it is going to be two months minimum. So roughly August.
Thank you for all the help, the King Charles spaniel was my front runner.
Nothing is set in stone. Of course. Pictures will follow when appropriate.

Good for you. If it doesn't work out, you have a great 'backup plan', in that the Cavalier is a wonderful companion dog, very affectionate. I understand the breeder will do some socialization; however, my advice is socialize whenever and wherever possible. It's the best way to ensure a calm and good citizen pup. I'll echo Who-dey...post some pics.

#42 5 years ago

I don't know, she looks like a killer to me, got those crazy eyes!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldgoat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dog-help-needed-off-topic?tu=Oldgoat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.