93EE8E6F-D062-421E-8419-649F96DB2A62 (resized).jpeg
20180603_112733 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1528039437147 (resized).jpg
sptiz (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2018-06-02-14-08-48 (resized).png
Screenshot_2018-06-02-14-07-46 (resized).png
E6A62E67-CD3B-44CD-AAD1-C4ECA01FE917 (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

I had a stroke and three brain surgeries. I've never had a dog.

I need a little help please from the Pinside community...

Your educated opinions. Please.

(Dogs and me.)

I am handicapped but I have great access. A small dog is needed. A companion dog.
I am most used to pit bulls and great Danes which I love.

I can't get either of those types. Pit bull done if I could but no. Also size on a pit no problem. They are my favorite. I will get one later when I get a back yard.

So also, whatever dog I get now. It would be nice to be able to get along with my future pit.

I need something small like a French bulldog. Or a Boston terrier.

Or you may know better than me I'm suggesting.

It is difficult to get one. I prefer an adoption. Any help and thanks in advance.

#2 5 years ago

OK, if you have no backyard then dont get a dog
If you have poor health, then dont get a pitbull, they like to play rough

have you thought of getting a dog from a pound?

#3 5 years ago

If looking for a small breed shih-tzu are great companions . They do not require as much exercise as other small breeds also , might be a good fit for you .

#4 5 years ago

I’m confused, you are getting a pitbull at some point but want a small dog now? Kinda sounds like it could be a recipe for distaster. If you have owned pits u know how dominant they can be. Additionally a dog of that power and strength do you feel you could restrain it should something happen??

Pitbull out of the picture, I’d say a French bulldog. I have one and they are extremely devoted people pleasers. Love humans. They entrain themselves, just funny loving little animals. Sorry if I sounded negative about pits, I personally am just not a fan of them. But to each their own.

#5 5 years ago

Dogs take a lot of work. Walks, going to the bathroom, the rest like playing you can do inside. They also don't do well left inside alone. Maybe a less involved pet could bring you companionship. Nothing is like a dog for interaction, but they can be a lot of work. Rescuing any animal is great. Hope you consider your abilities and life style and find a perfect pet to love.

#6 5 years ago

Pit bull is out but I love the breed and am familiar enough to own one despite my handicaps. But the pit is so stigmatized in so cal that the pound is full of them.

If I had a back yard I could have a beautiful pitbull tomorrow.

The French bulldog looks to be perfect but I understand thier health is very bad in thier adult years. Or can be. Around 9-10 years they seem to start have major problems.

In my complex there are more than two French Bulldogs. In this area French Bulldogs rarely end up in rescue. Also.

I'm thinking about just volunteering at my local shelter until the right dog finds me. Seriously.

#7 5 years ago

Damn French bulldogs are so expensive here but are such an awsome looking dog.
We have a papillon at about 9 lbs and she’s pretty cutie but long hair needs combing and makes a bit of a mess. Acts like a little guard dog, great personality!

E6A62E67-CD3B-44CD-AAD1-C4ECA01FE917 (resized).pngE6A62E67-CD3B-44CD-AAD1-C4ECA01FE917 (resized).png
#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Pit bull is out but I love the breed and am familiar enough to own one despite my handicaps. But the pit is so stigmatized in so cal that the pound is full of them.
If I had a back yard I could have a beautiful pitbull tomorrow.
The French bulldog looks to be perfect but I understand thier health is very bad in thier adult years. Or can be. Around 9-10 years they seem to start have major problems.
In my complex there are more than two French Bulldogs. In this area French Bulldogs rarely end up in rescue. Also.
I'm thinking about just volunteering at my local shelter until the right dog finds me. Seriously.

You just nailed it with what you said. Volunteer or keep going to the shelter and be patient and dont worry about specific breeds etc. The dog will find you, not you finding the dog. There will eventually be a dog that wins your heart over and it may be a totally different breed than what you ever imagined. The right dog will come into your life trust me.

#9 5 years ago

Can you walk a dog daily? Some of the good companion breeds still need at least one 15-30 minute walk a day.

#10 5 years ago

Get a cat. Small dogs suck.

#11 5 years ago

I would go with a Russian Sphinx cat but my fiancées daughter who lives with us is allergic to cats. Even the Sphinx is too much for her. But she will move out, eventually.

I'm thinking about volunteering for sure, one way or another.

I told Veronika I just want an afm. She agreed that this process to find a dog is difficult.

Right now in my recovery a pet would help me greatly. It would have helped me greatly over the last three years but I was not ready. Now is the time. I am finding timing is everything in life now.

Those French Bulldogs are dang cute. Perfect size.

For instance if there was a place to buy a 1year old French bulldog near me I would probably already have had it for a week.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Right now in my recovery a pet would help me greatly. It would have helped me greatly over the last three years but I was not ready. Now is the time. I am finding timing is everything in life now.

last year when I had an extended stay in hospital, they had companion dog visit the wards
while it was odd seeing the dog there, it was great to have a small play with him

#13 5 years ago

Volunteering would be great but hard not to fall in love over and over. If you could do this I think it could help you and them. Just remember that pets are a long term commitment and need to accept the good and bad. Be honest and make sure you know what you want and the others in your life. Most of the world doesn't take everything into consideration thus all the wonderful animals waiting for homes in pounds and shelters.

#14 5 years ago

I would go with a rescue from a reputable organization. Pretty much all breeds will have a rescue org. Here is the one for Frenchie's: http://www.frenchbulldogrescue.org/ . Unlike pounds and shelters, rescue orgs will foster dogs in homes, typically with lots of other animals, kids, etc. They will expose the dog to a variety of stimuli and different situations. They will be able to provide you intimate information on the disposition of the animal. Submissive or dominant, good around other animals, good in social settings, good around children, barker, playful or laid-back. Further, they will spend a good bit of time understanding you and your situation. Fenced yard, keep indoors, ability to exercise, will dog be left alone for long periods, etc. They will even perform a site visit. In fact, this is one way to tell if you are dealing with a reputable rescue org. This is the best way to get a dog that meets both your circumstances and the needs of the dog. The downside is it can take a good bit of time to find a good match.

Now, just to be clear, I am all for taking dogs from shelters...my wife and I have always supported the local Humane Society. In the OP's situation, I feel that reducing as many unknowns as possible is the best path. If you are getting a puppy or you have the experience, time and desire to deal with potential behavioral issues of an older dog, please do explore the local shelter.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

I would go with a rescue from a reputable organization. Pretty much all breeds will have a rescue org. Here is the one for Frenchie's: http://www.frenchbulldogrescue.org/ . Unlike pounds and shelters, rescue orgs will foster dogs in homes, typically with lots of other animals, kids, etc. They will expose the dog to a variety of stimuli and different situations. They will be able to provide you intimate information on the disposition of the animal. Submissive or dominant, good around other animals, good in social settings, good around children, barker, playful or laid-back. Further, they will spend a good bit of time understanding you and your situation. Fenced yard, keep indoors, ability to exercise, will dog be left alone for long periods, etc. They will even perform a site visit. In fact, this is one way to tell if you are dealing with a reputable rescue org. This is the best way to get a dog that meets both your circumstances and the needs of the dog. The downside is it can take a good bit of time to find a good match.
Now, just to be clear, I am all for taking dogs from shelters...my wife and I have always supported the local Humane Society. In the OP's situation, I feel that reducing as many unknowns as possible is the best path. If you are getting a puppy or you have the experience, time and desire to deal with potential behavioral issues of an older dog, please do explore the local shelter.

I appreciate what rescue organizations do but the fact is, they are just too much of a pain in the ass to deal with and you often get left heartbroken because the dog you really wanted they decided that it was a better fit for someone else etc. I am all about being picky and making sure that the dog gets placed in the best home possible but they go way overboard.

The last rescue i was signed up with i of course didnt get the dog that i wanted at first and they kept trying to get me to take dogs that i didnt want and the lady actually got pissed at me and i snapped back and told her that this was my decision and not hers. I figured that i wouldn't even be considered after that as they are very vengeful people but they actually asked me to foster after that.

The first rescue i was involved with turned me down because the 2 cats i rescued in the woods that were starving to death and in a really bad way had not had annual check ups. I saved these 2 cats life (actually 4, two kittens also that i found good homes for) and brought them into my home. .....go figure. I was actually told that i was a horrible pet owner because of that. That was Cincinnati Lab Rescue, what a bunch of assholes they are for sure.

Anyway long story short, i was fed up with the Basset Hound rescue that i was dealing with because of their attitudes and trying to push dogs on me that i didn't want, and luckily a beautiful Basset Hound showed up at the local animal shelter and i couldn't be happier. I couldn't have found a better dog, he is awesome and beautiful.

Mixed feelings about animal rescues here for sure. Most people dont even qualify and will never be considered. They turn away alot of great people who would be good pet owners.

#16 5 years ago

Have you checked into getting an official service dog? We are looking to get one for our son. He had a stroke and has epilepsy, cp and autism. Not sure, but Medicaid or insurance would probably pay for your service dog. Our son will be able to get one at no cost. Check with your local special needs agency

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Have you checked into getting an official service dog? We are looking to get one for our son. He had a stroke and has epilepsy, cp and autism. Not sure, but Medicaid or insurance would probably pay for your service dog. Our son will be able to get one at no cost. Check with your local special needs agency

If, in fact, the OP can get a service dog, this would definitely be ideal and certainly worth looking into!

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

last year when I had an extended stay in hospital, they had companion dog visit the wards
while it was odd seeing the dog there, it was great to have a small play with him

This dog visiting people is critical. I think I have a picture of such a visit to me when I almost died. Maybe I will visit others with my dog too, eventually.

#19 5 years ago

I'm going to reach out to service dog agencies, as well. I'm leaning heavily to volunteer at my local shelter, one of them it is very nice.

I am going to start there.

#20 5 years ago

I think you would enjoy volunteering at your local shelter and you would really be helping the animals out alot too by walking them and giving them company and stuff like that. I wish that i had a shelter closer to my house and a more flexible work schedule because id like to do the same. Let us know if you do that and take some pics for us! That would also give you first chance at any dogs that come in there probably.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I'm going to reach out to service dog agencies

That's probably the best way. They can fit a dog to your needs and know what works best. Good luck and keep us posted on what you get.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from KoolFingers:

That's probably the best way. They can fit a dog to your needs and know what works best. Good luck and keep us posted on what you get.

Yes, very interested to know how it turns out. (Related sidebar. Had a friend that was involved in the training/socialization of service dogs. Don't know how she did it. You are with the dogs all the time, at home, at work, you name it. You have it for six months or so and then give it up to the owner. She had a lab once and was just praying it would be selected for the breeding program since, if selected, it would not be entered into service and she would be able to keep it. It kills me to lose a dog...not sure I could do it every six months even though I knew it was answering a higher call. Hats off to those who do it)

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Yes, very interested to know how it turns out. (Related sidebar. Had a friend that was involved in the training/socialization of service dogs. Don't know how she did it. You are with the dogs all the time, at home, at work, you name it. You have it for six months or so and then give it up to the owner. She had a lab once and was just praying it would be selected for the breeding program since, if selected, it would not be entered into service and she would be able to keep it. It kills me to lose a dog...not sure I could do it every six months even though I knew it was answering a higher call. Hats off to those who do it)

Very much like fostering kids. My mother-in-law did that for years. She'd get kids that were a mess, 6 years old still wearing diapers, social problems, the works. She'd get them straightened out, then watch them get adopted, which was awesome, but really hard emotionally since you were invested in them by that point. In some cases, though, they'd be re-homed with the drug-addict mom that messed them up in the first place. That was the worst.

#24 5 years ago

Volunteer and you get the best of both worlds. You get to know many, have many loves in your life, and get to go home without having to pick up poop, listen to constant barking all night and day, neighbors that don't hate you for the dog, look like doing society a favor (you are), and of course no vet bills. Its an all around win situation. Oh, and chicks love a guy with a heart that donates time and energy toward the pound.

#25 5 years ago

A mini pinscher. Looks like a doberman but smaller and will be protective of you. Great friend to have.
-Mike

Screenshot_2018-06-02-14-07-46 (resized).pngScreenshot_2018-06-02-14-07-46 (resized).pngScreenshot_2018-06-02-14-08-48 (resized).pngScreenshot_2018-06-02-14-08-48 (resized).png
#26 5 years ago

Japanese Spitz. Totally chill, friendly dogs from day one. Cuter than Poms and other small breeds, with none of the obnoxious traits. Might get a little warm in CA, but they're fairly adaptable, and I bet there are some breeders out there.

Rescuing dogs is admirable, but you never know what issues you're inheriting, and by the time you do, it's usually too late. Life is too short to try and fix other people's mistakes, particularly when it comes to dogs imo.
sptiz (resized).jpgsptiz (resized).jpg

#27 5 years ago

I watched the video on the Japanese!

Also stuck on this reptile video.

Whole other subject, but I have a great reptile place near me in Southern California called prehistoric pets and I think I may have met the owner in my volunteer work at saddleback church.

Prehistoric pets. A great store!

http://www.prehistoricpets.com/

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Kinda sounds like it could be a recipe for distaster.

oh yes!!!!! big distaster Man... Is this thread a joke??,if it is IT"S NOT COOL!!

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

Is this thread a joke?

No, I don't believe it is.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

oh yes!!!!! big distaster Man... Is this thread a joke??,if it is IT"S NOT COOL!!

This thread was not meant to be a joke.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

This thread was not meant to be a joke.

Oh Ok,im sorry about that..

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

Damn French bulldogs are so expensive here but are such an awsome looking dog.
We have a papillon at about 9 lbs and she’s pretty cutie but long hair needs combing and makes a bit of a mess. Acts like a little guard dog, great personality!

Lots of decent advice here. I agree with RVH, but it really depends on your personality. I have a Papillon, a mini Aussi Sheppard, a shih-tzu, and a small mixed breed rescue. Paps are the smartest of the toy breeds. Mini aussies are the smartest of the mini breeds and smart dogs are easier to train but need attention. Shi tzus aren’t smart but need less attention. None are yappy (a coomom compliant about small breeds) if properly trained. Rescue dogs can have emotional scars meaning lots of attention It depends on what effort you’re able to put into it and your own personality.if you like the dominance of pit bulls, mini aussies are working dogs and therefore dominant.

#33 5 years ago

Both our dogs are rescue dogs. Lucy is a bichon, she will stay on the couch with me. Sit on a barstool, or on top of the pin next to the one I am playing. Maddie Sue is havanesse. She is a bit more playful. Not as will to be a constant shadow. Both are good mannered and not vocal. I would recommend either as a companion animal. We are going boating after lunch. Lucy likes to go to the front and look out thru the railing.
I hope you find a true friend in your dog.
Sputnik

#34 5 years ago

Maddie Sue and Lucy

20180603_112733 (resized).jpg20180603_112733 (resized).jpg
#35 5 years ago

This is my guy, Buddy. The best behaved and smartest dog I have ever had. When I was younger we had a husky Sheperd mix. And a border collie.

Buddy learned to ring a bell to let us know he had to go outside within a week.while he was still a puppy. He's so well behaved my girlfriend takes him to her daycare every once in awhile to help with the autistic children.
He's super cuddley and thinks he's a teddy bear. He just wants a lap to sit on. He hasnt left my side since I got home from the hospital 8 months ago. After becoming sick with MS.
I couldn't ask for a better companion.

He's helped me deal with my illness immensely.
Love this guy!

FB_IMG_1528039437147 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1528039437147 (resized).jpg
#36 5 years ago

My fiancée works with a relative of a French bulldog breeder. I found out yesterday evening.

Their about to have pups. We are going to get one of them. After they are born, they are going to keep ours and potty train and other basic training. (Maybe some socializing too.)

I also have friend who is a vet. This will help. Hopefully this will all work out. Pictures will follow but I am thinking at this point it is going to be two months minimum. So roughly August.

Thank you for all the help, the King Charles spaniel was my front runner.

Nothing is set in stone. Of course. Pictures will follow when appropriate.

#37 5 years ago

jack russells are pretty smart.

papillon can be litter trained. may be useful depending on your range of mobility.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

My fiancée works with a relative of a French bulldog breeder. I found out yesterday evening.
Their about to have pups. We are going to get one of them. After they are born, they are going to keep ours and potty train and other basic training. (Maybe some socializing too.)
I also have friend who is a vet. This will help. Hopefully this will all work out. Pictures will follow but I am thinking at this point it is going to be two months minimum. So roughly August.

French Bulldogs are awesome! We definitely want some pictures once you get him!

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Good for you. If it doesn't work out, you have a great 'backup plan', in that the Cavalier is a wonderful companion dog, very affectionate. I understand the breeder will do some socialization; however, my advice is socialize whenever and wherever possible. It's the best way to ensure a calm and good citizen pup. I'll echo Who-dey...post some pics.

#40 5 years ago

I'd suggest a Pug, but they aren't the most hardy breed. We watched my brother's for a year, and I loved that dog. He genuinely made me laugh at least once/day. I do remember all sorts of annoying maintenance things though - like cleaning out face flaps, ears, etc.

#41 5 years ago

Here is the expecting mother. Looking forward to all of this!

93EE8E6F-D062-421E-8419-649F96DB2A62 (resized).jpeg93EE8E6F-D062-421E-8419-649F96DB2A62 (resized).jpeg

Due in July.

Kind of really looks my speed now.

#42 5 years ago

I don't know, she looks like a killer to me, got those crazy eyes!

#43 5 years ago

Teacup or miniature poodle. Smart as heck and don't shed.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Here is the expecting mother. Looking forward to all of this!

Due in July.
Kind of really looks my speed now.

You will soon have your new best friend and there is a dog that has yet to be born that is getting ready to get very lucky and is going to have an amazing life and a great owner. I can imagine how excited you are right now, congrats! I cant wait to see the new dog!

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

I don't know, she looks like a killer to me, got those crazy eyes!

It's time for a western! I will probably pop on the good the bad and the ugly today!

I think my favorite is "trying to think"

Unforgiven.

Im going to watch that, Maybe both.

I'm going to have to watch Josie Wales now too!

#46 5 years ago

This spaghetti western by Lucio fulci. I'm going to watch this too. What a weird movie time to see it again.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#47 5 years ago

As a veterinarian I have been reading thru this thread with interest.
There are different dogs that best fit in different environments and it sounds like a lot of the comments are from good dog owners.

While I know it cannot work in every situation, I do like hearing people giving shelter dogs/cats a home. Lately those seem to be one of the fashionable new breeds. . . When asked "What kind of dog it that?" more often than not I hear "Its a rescue."

As far as the OP goes, a French Bulldog would be a good companion dog. They are entertaining and friendly. You have to be cautious on over exertion, they can overheat and anatomically their breathing is not as efficient/easy as it is for a non-smushed face dog. Bulldogs of any type tend to be solid -- a running start from across the room can take you out at the knees!

I have nothing against Pits, I see a large number of them and while some are easy keepers a lot of them have skin issues. Combine the perceived viciousness with the ones that actually have a mean bone in their body and they can be a handful. There is a local group that works with them and better than half tend to have some sort of behavior or medical condition.

Most dog behavior problems I see arise from lack of attention from their owners. In these modern times of after school activities, electronic devices, etc. the pets at home can get less attention than they need. Dogs take a lot of work and effort, more than some people realize. As a previous poster said, cats can be good companions but less maintenance. . . but then there is the litter box.

Some of the best family dogs I see are Beagles (if you can get past the bark), Goldens, and Labs. A bit of space/yard helps with the larger breeds. Smaller dogs? There are nice ones out there but a lot of little guys -- Chihuahuas, Dachshunds, Terriers, etc. can have big attitudes and be a little nippy around people they do not know.

Best of luck with your new pup to the OP -- hope he/she adds an abundance of joy to your day.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dog-help-needed-off-topic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.