New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 275899)

Does Your Taste in Machines Make You Feel Like a Bad Fan?

By Karl_Hungus

67 days ago

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 61 days ago by Krupps4
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

RecklessPlainBarnacle-poster (resized).jpg

#1 67 days ago

So, my two modern machines are Star Wars and Ghostbusters, two of the most maligned machines in recent history and to top it off, I paid $750 for the Star Wars topper. I love both machines because the franchises are part of my childhood and I love the callouts on Ghostbusters. The music and speech in that game always make me happy. I admit even though I always dreamed of owning a Star Wars pinball machine, I waited 'till the comic edition came out because the original art did not blow me away. Now between the themes and the play of the games, I am thoroughly in love with both of them.

I consider myself an adequate player. I know the ins and outs and what have yous of pinball and have been playing my whole life. I place well in my pinball league and put up respectable scores. I think I am a good pinball fan.

I have to admit though, sometimes I come on here and read the threads and feel like I made bad choices based on other people's opinions on the machines. Has Pinside ever influenced your choice in machines or mods or do you go with your gut and other opinions be damned?

#2 67 days ago

Nope. I’m interested in the opinions of others but if I decide I want a game it’s my decision.

If you are happy with your games it really doesn’t matter what others think.

#3 67 days ago

If anything, the lists of pins tells you whats out there. Not necessarily what's best for you but that it exists.

#4 67 days ago

Why would I drop $6-8K solely based on someone else's opinion? I like Ghostbusters, one of the ones I wished I kept.

#5 67 days ago

I have both Star Wars (LE) and Ghostbusters Premium at home and doubt they will ever leave my collection. Star Wars Premium and Ghostbusters Pro were two of the top earning games at my arcade. Pinside ratings can help guide your buying decisions, but if you like a game don't be ashamed, just enjoy it!

#6 67 days ago

While some are more susceptible to it than others, everyone is affected to some degree by others opinions. This goes for everything from cars, homes, clothes, attraction to others, etc. It is human nature.

Just like in pinball, if you enjoy the same things that others do, you pay more for it. Conversely, you pay less if you go against the grain.

As far as your games go...star wars is amongst my most maligned games ever. I'm a huge movie fan, and the Star Wars films are amongst my favorites. I absolutely love the art, music, and callouts of the pin. In fact...they are some of my favorite in all of pinball. The build quality and barren playfield, however, have turned me off...so I will probably never own one (in spite of numerous opportunities already).

The code and difficulty of GB has turned a lot of people off, but it is slowly gaining steam after the newest update. GB is on my personal wishlist. In fact, I can find SW pins all day, but have had a difficult time securing a GB. That says everything to me.

#7 67 days ago

GB is a keeper. It's got its quirks, but once dialed in, it's a great machine. Don't forget to mix in the God mode every now and then for a quick jolt of adrenaline.

#8 67 days ago

Sometimes I think pins suffer from group think mentality causing them to be celebrated or maligned more than they should be. It’s always best to make your own calls and don’t worry about what other people think. If you let others influence you too much, then you lose sight of being true to yourself and true to what YOU may enjoy.

#9 67 days ago

There was a guy on a Facebook Pinball group that was totally shaming anyone that thought Ghostbusters wasn't the worst game you could ever imagine! Lot's of people chimed in to say they loved it, and he just kept going on how bad it was. I told him to get over it, people like what they like, and he blocked me! LOL Like what you like, other opinions can help guide a decision, but you are the one that decides. Pinball is so subjective, for every game people dog, there's a bunch of people that love it. Might be one of the coolest things about Pinball, there's something for everyone and it's meant to be fun not to fight about!

#10 67 days ago

I dont give 2 shits about what people think about the games i like or own.

Neither should you.

#11 67 days ago

Ghostbusters Premium is one of my favorite games after the code update. I could see it not being someone’s cup of tea, but not sure why it would be hated or considered terrible.

#12 67 days ago

You know the old saying. Opinions are like a**holes. I've had GB and sold it, taking a huge loss. I still have a Star Wars which I really enjoy. Loved X-men, enjoyed Avengers, just go with what you like and don't worry about it.

#13 67 days ago

Nah, I like to hear opinions, good and bad, and try to be pretty self-aware of flaws in games that I like, but at the end of the day I'm buying what I enjoy playing. Some people have played games I've used to own (NASCAR) and currently own (Baywatch) thinking they were bad games before ever even playing them and had a blast. If you're in love with your 2 games then that's all that matters!

#14 67 days ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Sometimes I think pins suffer from group think mentality

For some, you will need to define "group think".

#15 67 days ago

you can like what you want
most games coming out now are good games, some are great
as long as there is fun to be had then enjoy

#16 67 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

For some, you will need to define "group think".

For some, you will need to define “think” ...

#17 67 days ago

I've played just about every pinball machine there is and my favorite is Who Dunnit. Not a very highly rated game but out of all the machines I have owned, it's the one my entire family loves.

#18 67 days ago

Man is this stupid.

#19 67 days ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Man is this stupid.

Well, now I can't post on Pinside anymore.

#20 67 days ago
Quoted from Karl_Hungus:

Well, now I can't post on Pinside anymore.

Sure u can, just try not to make ur post's 2 stupid. I mean a little stupid is a given around here, U know vs threads and Top 100 beefs etc. but as a general rule........

RecklessPlainBarnacle-poster (resized).jpg
#21 67 days ago

It depends. Do you have a GB pro or the prem? Just kidding. I only hate GB cause it cost me $600 to get rid of (not that bad really). But in all honestly one of my favorites is LW3. What does that tell you? Play what you enjoy and enjoy what you play. Everything else doesn't matter.

#22 67 days ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

Just kidding. I only hate GB cause it cost me $600 to get rid of ....

I made 300 and I hate it.

Quoted from Karl_Hungus:

Pinside ever influenced your choice in machines or mods

On the machines of course not, I cant imagine being so weak as to bend to other peoples opinions.
On the mods pinside has helped a lot showing me how fucking stupid and what a waste of monies many of them are, and for burning my retinas.

#23 67 days ago

I love my SW Premium and the topper. It is a great game and the topper was totally worth the price because it completes the game. There no shame in that at all. I bought WPT NIB as one of my dream themes. Everyone maligned that game too and once they replaced all the defective SAM MPUs and updated the software, it turned out to be a GREAT game. I also love my BKSoR LE and would not be without the great topper on that one too. Speaking of every how every MPU on the first SAM game was defective and had to be replaced; I will also state for the record that I am an electronics engineer by trade and I LOVE the SPIKE II system. It is so simple and eliminated 90% of the wiring in the games. I have never had the slightest issue with it and love the 2.1 sound.

Obviously I read Pinside, but I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks of my choices. I also don't give a shit about what other people choose, unless they put Pinstadium lighting into a modern Stern that already has full factory LEDs. That is inexcusable.

#24 67 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

unless they put Pinstadium lighting into a modern Stern that already has full factory LEDs. That is inexcusable.

I don't know man...its a little dark in the middle

#25 67 days ago
Quoted from Karl_Hungus:

I have to admit though, sometimes I come on here and read the threads and feel like I made bad choices based on other people's opinions on the machines.

It never ceases to amaze me that people actually feel this way. Why on earth would other people opinions matter to you about games you like? If you like your games, that’s all that matters.

I buy games that I like, not games that other people like. It would be weird to do that.

#26 67 days ago

Ironically some of my least favorite games in the collection seem to be the most popular with guests. Maybe I'm the one with bad taste.

#27 67 days ago

I’m a proud owner of Rob Zombie. If i put any stock into what others thought i wouldn’t be able to own it. In fact, i love when i like games that don’t achieve mass popularity.

Now everyone knows Elvira HOH is a steaming turd. Who’s with me here!?! Pay no attention to my WTB ad for one. I’m clearly just trollin people

#28 67 days ago
Quoted from homebrood:

There was a guy on a Facebook Pinball group that was totally shaming anyone that thought Ghostbusters wasn't the worst game you could ever imagine! Lot's of people chimed in to say they loved it, and he just kept going on how bad it was. I told him to get over it, people like what they like, and he blocked me!

Dang, I really left an impression on you, didn’t I?

...but yeah, looks like the GB cult is still alive and well. SHAME SHAME SHAME lol

#29 67 days ago

I’m a simple man. I buy what I like to play.

#30 67 days ago
Quoted from Karl_Hungus:

So, my two modern machines are Star Wars and Ghostbusters, two of the most maligned machines in recent history and to top it off, I paid $750 for the Star Wars topper. I love both machines because the franchises are part of my childhood and I love the callouts on Ghostbusters. The music and speech in that game always make me happy. I admit even though I always dreamed of owning a Star Wars pinball machine, I waited 'till the comic edition came out because the original art did not blow me away. Now between the themes and the play of the games, I am thoroughly in love with both of them.
I consider myself an adequate player. I know the ins and outs and what have yous of pinball and have been playing my whole life. I place well in my pinball league and put up respectable scores. I think I am a good pinball fan.
I have to admit though, sometimes I come on here and read the threads and feel like I made bad choices based on other people's opinions on the machines. Has Pinside ever influenced your choice in machines or mods or do you go with your gut and other opinions be damned?

Pinside will make you feel like every pin is a piece of garbage. People will dig their heels in and constantly point out the flaws. If you enjoy it, stick to the club owner thread. Ignore everything else, you will get destroyed; who-dey got pummeled for his love of Munsters.

Final opinion, the internet vitriol is skin deep. If I was a guest at your place I would be very excited to play your games knowing how much you like them. Your enthusiasm for them would want me to play them. Playing pinball with someone who loves their collection is contagious. If you had a SF2 and told me how much you enjoy it, I would be thrilled to play it. Many of the games I play now are because a friend really loved the game and took the time to show me the rules.

#31 67 days ago

When I first got in to pinball, I read a lot of reviews on here on pins that I thought I might like to own some day. The reviews are helpful to a certain degree, but I've learned to only put so much weight in them. Most of the games I have found myself to enjoy, are rated mediocre on here. So while I do put a bit of stock into what others think of the game, my main deciding factors now are price, theme and my own initial reactions to it.

#32 66 days ago

Nope there my games i pay for them have to fix them so what everybody else thinks is nothing at the end of the day. I just chuckle when i'm told this game sucks because this or that. But when i do sell them they want to buy it from me for half of what i paid Quote because it sucks. But when they are selling me the games they would cost what i paid plus some.

#33 61 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks of my choices

Well said my friend, well said.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 26.50
$ 7.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside