(Topic ID: 114660)

Does your significant other support your pinball addiction?

By Minneapolispin

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by milhouse
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does your spouse support your pinball habit?”

• Yes 123 votes
      57%
    • No 25 votes
      12%
    • She's stuck with me. 33 votes
      15%
    • She's fine as long as it keeps me home and not out chasing skirts and pounding beers. 33 votes
      15%

(214 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

rid-11.jpg
    pinball 002.JPG
    010.JPG
    download-329.jpg

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I got the eye roll last night when I mentioned to my wife that I was thinking of picking up a new machine this weekend. Do you guys get that too?

download-329.jpg
    #2 5 years ago

Yes, my wife does. She likes that I have the kids involved playing the games as well. She also enjoys chatting with people when I host game parties. She'd rather have me home playing Jackbot instead of out playing poker

#3 5 years ago

She tolerates me....

#4 5 years ago

poll!

#5 5 years ago

Mine has no clue that I even have any! Camouflage contact paper has gotten pretty expensive lately; so I may be screwed.

#6 5 years ago

My wife supports my hobby...as long as it doesn't interfere with retirement, paying bills, etc.

Something else that helped in my situation was to take her to Expo with me this year. Made it where she realized that Pinball is not just something that happens in our basement. She was able to see and play a lot of cool games and she really enjoyed meeting some of the people in the community.

#7 5 years ago

My husband gets eye rolls all day long - but not for pinball machines.

#8 5 years ago

I started with a MAME machine and my wife is the one that first asked about Pinball. She maintains the budget and prefers cheaper/EM machines for now, but definitely supports.

We're currently looking into moving to a slightly less expensive neighborhood which she has stated would free up $$$ for some more games. And space for a proper game room is on the list!

Luck!

#9 5 years ago

She tolerates it, barely. She grew up poor and I think any kind of luxury purchase whether it's for me or for her fills her with guilt and dread.

#10 5 years ago

Actually "I" support her pinball addiction.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rando:

We're currently looking into moving to a slightly less expensive neighborhood which she has stated would free up $$$ for some more games. And space for a proper game room is on the list!
    Luck!

Check her...she may be alien..

#12 5 years ago

My girlfriend tolerates it. She doesn't love pinball, but has no problem with my love of it.

#13 5 years ago

Yes she does, she even helps me install my mods!

#14 5 years ago

My wife absolutely loves it. She likes to see me happy and enjoys playing and is getting better.

She often plays in the nude, is a 10.0, and a doctor in case you want to be jealous

#15 5 years ago

I made a deal with my wife that she gets a Grand Piano and I get the equivalent $ in Pins, so, no complaints from her

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

My wife absolutely loves it. She likes to see me happy and enjoys playing and is getting better.
    She often plays in the nude, is a 10.0, and a doctor in case you want to be jealous

Pics or it didn't happen.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

You know your gonna get a "pictures or it didn't happen" post.

#18 5 years ago

Dam, beat me.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Pics or it didn't happen.

I have asked but she does not want to share. She treats me well so I see no reason to screw that up.

#20 5 years ago

My wife bought me my first pin. She didn't know what she started, but she enjoys playing them with me and having friends over to play. She'd prefer that we have fewer just because of space, but tolerates the number I have. She's excited about going to TPF in March. We support each other in every way and she knows how much I enjoy the hobby.

#21 5 years ago

He has his theater and console games, and I have my pinball machines. He's supportive, we discuss pinball daily, and he's super excited about someday possibly having an Alien pin... but he doesn't play them as much as I do. Of course it may have something to do with the lights possibly causing migraines, which he has chronically, but yet he can sit and play XBox on an 82" screen for hours and be fine.

#22 5 years ago

"Tolerates" would be the better term.

#23 5 years ago

My other half stole everything i had when i was dieing in a hospital.

Thats why i cant buy a nib atm, lol.

But i survived against all odds, and i will slowly get out of my misery and one day i will buy a nib.

I hope, .

Next misses has no say in that hehe.

#24 5 years ago

Mine digs it. I typically cook dinner when I get home. She usually walks past me and goes plays a few games. She's very happy now that I brought gorgar back to life last night. For so e reason it's her favorite.

#25 5 years ago

She acts like she thinks it's cool when other people find out about them and find it an interesting thing.

Otherwise, not really. Tolerates it, but just barely.

#26 5 years ago

Mine can't stand it haha... That's alright though I'm moving back into my own house where I've got more room for pins! April 1st can't come soon enough!

#27 5 years ago

I'm gonna go home and high-five my wife for being awesome.

Or...maybe not. I think that's how babies are made.

(I'm still kind of unclear on the subject).

Pete

#28 5 years ago

Just Buy em..hide em...wait for the "When did you get that"..go onto the next one

#29 5 years ago

Hubby and I both love pinballs; although I almost enjoy "the hunt" more than actually playing. He is in charge of restoring/fixing the machines; I get to play them and am constantly looking out for another to add to the collection. ;0)

#31 5 years ago

My wife is supportive.......I think too supportive! Her parents have both passed away in the last two years so she is very much in the "let's enjoy ourselves while we can" mode. I mention a machine and her response is -- "If it makes you happy go for it!".

My 10 year old son is always the voice of reason -- where are you going to get the money Dad!!!!

(Didn't stop me from picking up White Water over the holidays ).

#32 5 years ago

She likes that I enjoy playing and working on them, and occasionally plays, and enjoys it. But there's a point where it wouldn't be ok, like pins about the house etc.

#33 5 years ago

I'm at work. My wife went to wal-mart while I was on lunch to buy storage bins, and look for sandpaper and tack cloth. You can take a guess what for.

#34 5 years ago

My girlfriend sold our dining room table to make room for more pins..... no place to eat, But we got games......

#35 5 years ago

Support - no way. Barely tolerates is the right expression for my situation .

#36 5 years ago

We're partners in crime. She started it and I grew to love it after being designated the repair man. Didn't take long for both of us to be hooked. Been through 14 titles in a little over 2 years already and have 3 more arriving tomorrow!

#37 5 years ago

My wife likes to see me happy. (and tinkering and playing pins, keep me around the house )
    When i blabber about pin related stuff, she smiles at me but i can see her interest is purely because I like it.
    Actually she bought my first machine in 1985 .... the rest i bought on my own

#38 5 years ago

Mine assists with polishing and cleaning. Also a perfect tester. I can watch things in the back box and she plays. Supports!

#39 5 years ago

I have to admit that my wife is fine with the pins. I don't go overboard an that helps. I have a 15 month old grandson and I often see her playing one handed while shes holding him. He loves the lights and sounds.

#40 5 years ago

Man I am.totally in the minority here obviously.
    My wife won't even touch the machines let alone play a game.
    I have owned Funhouse, Tron and Addams family and not one single game ever played by my wife. I'm not sure why , really no idea.

#41 5 years ago

I am with you too....Tolerates, would be a step up. Even though CSI is "hers" as well as being a WOZ
    fan, I need to beg her to play a game...hurts a bit, but we are together 40 years, so I guess she is used to them being around.....

#42 5 years ago

My girlfriend is like others on the thread here. She enjoys the pins that I have and likes the fact that I derive enjoyment from working on them. She kinds feels as though its all good as long as the essentials are taken care of. I am fortunate to have her, and the pins of course in that order!

G

#43 5 years ago

My wife supports my pinball hobby... When I'm selling a game

#44 5 years ago

My wife Lena loves pinball, but can't play wort a damn really. LOL! Her favorite game is Fun House with Attack fom Mars a close second. She gets her name on the high score once in a great while. I have tried to teach her the rules, but she just likes to keep the ball alive.

#45 5 years ago

Girlfriend bought me my first table for Xmas this past year. She's oddly all for it. Claims veto power over future tables based on the translite art, but simultaneously says she's joking. I'm not so sure.

Hearing her turn the machine on and playing a few games from the other room is kinda nice to be honest.

#46 5 years ago

She doesn't discourage me. Loves The Addams Family. I got her one but she rarely plays it. We have pinball parties and she'll play but when the company leaves , she's done. But that's ok. I have a basement full of pins and she doesn't complain. I think its because so many other people think its so cool and she doesn't want to look like the party pooper. Lol.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

She tolerates it, barely. She grew up poor and I think any kind of luxury purchase whether it's for me or for her fills her with guilt and dread.

Right on the money!

#48 5 years ago

You guys should consider yourself lucky to have your girl into playing and supporting pinball.
    Trust me I have nothing to complain about, but it would be really really cool if my wife took some kind of interest of some sort.
    Although, After a nice dinner and a fair share of drinks a couple weeks ago , with the kid at a sleepover, she had agreed to play some naked pinball with her heels on with me helping her play the game , if you know what I mean. She fell asleep on the way home, seriously.

#49 5 years ago

My fiancée has helped my carry home, and up a flight of stairs, five pins. Two planned, three spur-of-the-moment. She let me pack away the dining room set to make room for them all, and grins and bears it when my workplace spills over into her kitchen.

#50 5 years ago

She puts up with it more or less but I can't even get her to play. If I had to guess she maybe played 3 games total in her life. We went to modern pinball in NYC and she went shopping while the rest of us played pinball. Then again we certainly didn't meet on match dot com !!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9,000.00
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 149.99
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside