(Topic ID: 129995)

Does Williams Fan-Tas-Tic have a 2 player counterpart?

By RyanClaytor

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A-Go-Go.jpg
GTB Suoper Score.jpg
SpanFan.jpg
ChampFan.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Seems like a lot of other Williams pins from this era have a 2 and 4 player version. ...however, I couldn't seem to find a 2-player version of Fan-Tas-Tic. Did I miss it, or does it not exist?

Thanks,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#2 8 years ago

I don't believe there IS a 2 player version of this game.

#3 8 years ago

Nope, four player machine only.

#4 8 years ago

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback, guys!

#5 8 years ago

Closest thing I can think of would be Champ ??

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#6 8 years ago

It's pretty unique to the time period. I was looking at all the 1970-1977 Williams games the other day and it's one of the few that didn't follow the "four to five pop bumpers up top, several stand up targets on the sides, some kind of kick out hole or mechanical feature in the middle, lamp post between the flippers" design. Spanish Eyes, which was single player and came out before it, was kind of similar in that it had three pops up top, one between the flippers, and a little separation between the upper and lower playfields, but it didn't have the sweet lanes to get the ball back up to the top. Maybe Fan-Tas-Tic was meant to be the multiplayer version of Spanish Eyes, but so many months passed by they went a whole other direction? I guess it's lost to the ages.

#7 8 years ago

No, oddly it doesn't. Many others of that general era had both 2 and 4 player version, but not this one for some reason.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

No, oddly it doesn't. Many others of that general era had both 2 and 4 player version, but not this one for some reason.

Wacky. ...well, I'm glad it's not just my poor research skills. Ha-ha! Thanks for the confirmation, JR (and others).

Quoted from Dayhuff:

Closest thing I can think of would be Champ ??

Quoted from JoeNewberry:

Spanish Eyes...was kind of similar

Hi John and Joe,

John, thanks for chiming in. I've gotta be honest, I'm struggling to see the similarities between Champ and Fan-Tas-Tic (thinking of a different title, perhaps?):

ChampFan.jpgChampFan.jpg

...however, I'm surprised to see a number of similarities between Spanish Eyes and Fan-Tas-Tic (pop between flippers, no in-lanes, 3 pops up top, center unit [albeit one with loops, one with targets], middle targets/saucers on either side, etc.):

SpanFan.jpgSpanFan.jpg

Although, I guess it shouldn't be that surprising, considering they're both from the same designer (Norm Clark), while Champ is designed by someone else entirely (Jim Patla).

#9 8 years ago

Never seen a Champ before, but I notice quite a resemblance to Viking (1980).
Also, Freedom (1976) E/M models have the same bumper in place of slingshot design as the other three pins.

#10 8 years ago

Hmm....yeah probably (obviously) but I cant think of the other game , but it seems like Marcus bought one from me a few years back or somebody did. Let me think some more on it.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#11 8 years ago

Heh, that's my Fan-Tas-Tic in the comparison. The same shot in my avatar. Spanish Eyes really seems the closest relative. Oh, Suspense had the roulette wheel by the way, but mounted on the playfield instead of under it.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Hmm....yeah probably (obviously) but I cant think of the other game... Let me think some more on it.

Ha-ha! Not a problem.

Quoted from JoeNewberry:

Heh, that's my Fan-Tas-Tic in the comparison.

Hey, neat! I yanked all these shots from IPDB, so yours must be representing all Fan-Tas-Tics for all time!!!

Quoted from JoeNewberry:

Oh, Suspense had the roulette wheel by the way, but mounted on the playfield instead of under it.

O_o

That...is an odd machine.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I'm struggling to see the similarities between Champ and Fan-Tas-Tic (thinking of a different title, perhaps?):

Perhaps he was thinking of
GTB Super Score
GTB Suoper Score.jpgGTB Suoper Score.jpg
or WMS A-Go-Go
A-Go-Go.jpgA-Go-Go.jpg

#14 8 years ago

Yes A Go Go is the one I was thinking of. Hmm...not sure why though....LOL. Never the less its a good game too. I had a Fan-Tas-Tic about 16 years ago and that was a good little game too and the wheel makes it interesting.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#15 8 years ago

It was a good comparison, John. It has the same lane arrangement, three pop bumpers up top, and the roulette spinner. Fan-Tas-Tic is sort of a combination of A-Go-Go's upper playfield and its spinner and Spanish Eyes' lower playfield. Norm Clark using some of the best features of both to make a great game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-williams-fan-tas-tic-have-a-2-player-counterpart and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.