Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does this railing look right?”

• Yes 2 votes
      6%
    • No 27 votes
      79%
    • My contractor is a tool 5 votes
      15%

(34 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3hbtwv (resized).jpg
    BD31BDBE-11A6-4AE4-9142-2ADA77FCD12E (resized).jpeg
    D23DF9E8-3B00-4507-AE41-0192A22CF2DE (resized).jpeg
    E8FEF291-82EE-4EB9-B431-768146C25185 (resized).jpeg
    7C1F1917-FAE2-4C05-A838-F80954C355CB (resized).jpeg
    13C12C68-F39E-48D2-83CB-6B2455EFC255 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    072E0CDD-FD99-484E-A39F-9BF7C01A36C8 (resized).jpeg
    076A2B73-1633-428B-B485-13D9A9EEF3B0 (resized).jpeg
    DE85F524-33EA-43F7-ABC6-8228802D6936 (resized).jpeg
    82300 (resized).jpg
    9BB24A15-A31A-4BD4-8CF5-FEB90BC94A33 (resized).png
    49E65D3A-AB8C-4D29-9FC5-E6F28D26A9C6 (resized).jpeg
    AEC5EB78-1614-413C-93C9-A5D394F11E57 (resized).png
    F82D89D3-C0D2-4672-BBC3-A19401F51C2B (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaydee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 4 years ago

I’m a builder, and this is an absolute shit job. There’s a lot more issues than the just the railing. I wouldn’t pay this guy at all and I’m usually biased towards the contractor. There’s a few ways that this can be fixed but they are all a lot of work to do. If you want to discuss all the things I see wrong and options on how to make it somewhat looking correct you can pm me and we can talk over the phone or something.

I think the best way to fix it would be to start at right railing and have the railing installed between the posts like the left railing. But that would also require for the height of it to be shortened so that the bottom of it is over the stairs, not next to it like left side.
    Next remove the front landing rail and rebuild it longer it so the post is over the stairway. Then remove left railing, mount lower post on the step like the right railing, and finally reinstall the stair railing post to post. Of course after it’s shortened to match the new right railing.

Make sense?

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

This is what permits and inspections are for.
    Otherwise if you try and sell the house, an inspector may force this to be corrected before issuing an occupancy permit.

Yes and no, if railing height, stair height dimensions, proper support etc etc etc is ok, then it’s ok. If it’s built with all non matching parts and looks like the materials have been recycled from the bottom of the lake, the inspector won’t care. That’s between the customer and contractor. Inspector only cares if it’s structurally sound.
    Example, if I’m remodeling a kitchen, inspector will check if everything is correct in walls before I close them up. After that if I install all nonmatching cabinets, paint the room wrong colors, use materials that the customer didn’t choose; the village building dept could care less. It’s not their problem. They’ll say go to court

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

If it does not meet the building code, it will fail the final inspection. Rise vs. run and railings are closely inspected in Wayne County, Michigan in all cities and townships once you have three steps or more.

I agree 100%. But if the guy builds the left railing one way and the right railing another way and they don’t look anything like each other (which in this case they don’t) BUT they both meet code requirements, then inspector will sign off on it and say it’s ok.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

When looking at the stairs from the ground up, the LEFT railing looks right, the RIGHT railing looks wrong!

Even that railing (left) is wrong. The whole thing is a shit show actually. Railings are wrong, top step looks shorter than others, the bottom rail of landing railings are sitting right on deck leading to premature wood rot from trapped moisture, the right side of deck siding doesn’t match front and left side. I feel awful for OP. I’ve built temporary construction stairs and landings on my job sites that look better than this. Here’s a pic of what it should look like.

E8FEF291-82EE-4EB9-B431-768146C25185 (resized).jpegE8FEF291-82EE-4EB9-B431-768146C25185 (resized).jpeg
    #72 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Here’s another example of how it should have been done.[quoted image]

Bingo! I couldn’t find a pic with straight rail on right and landing to the left

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaydee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-this-railing-look-right?tu=jaydee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.