New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 255727)

Does this railing look right?

By mcuzz

11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does this railing look right?”

• Yes 2 votes
      6%
    • No 27 votes
      79%
    • My contractor is a tool 5 votes
      15%

(34 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3hbtwv (resized).jpg
    BD31BDBE-11A6-4AE4-9142-2ADA77FCD12E (resized).jpeg
    D23DF9E8-3B00-4507-AE41-0192A22CF2DE (resized).jpeg
    E8FEF291-82EE-4EB9-B431-768146C25185 (resized).jpeg
    7C1F1917-FAE2-4C05-A838-F80954C355CB (resized).jpeg
    13C12C68-F39E-48D2-83CB-6B2455EFC255 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    072E0CDD-FD99-484E-A39F-9BF7C01A36C8 (resized).jpeg
    076A2B73-1633-428B-B485-13D9A9EEF3B0 (resized).jpeg
    DE85F524-33EA-43F7-ABC6-8228802D6936 (resized).jpeg
    82300 (resized).jpg
    9BB24A15-A31A-4BD4-8CF5-FEB90BC94A33 (resized).png
    49E65D3A-AB8C-4D29-9FC5-E6F28D26A9C6 (resized).jpeg
    AEC5EB78-1614-413C-93C9-A5D394F11E57 (resized).png
    F82D89D3-C0D2-4672-BBC3-A19401F51C2B (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 months ago

My contractor says this deck is finished and he wants the final payment. Am I crazy in saying the right railing is wrong? I have never seen a railing look like that. He says all railings are supposed to look like that, if so then why does the left one look correct? Also why use half boards in the corner?

A7CDE889-35F8-4025-9A39-3A27A000C3F4 (resized).jpeg5101285C-5863-45AE-871B-0B5B54B9D8C0 (resized).jpeg
    #2 11 months ago

He lined up the posts wrong and does not want to go back and fix it. The left looks nice. The right is different and he messed it up. I say he should make both sides look the same. I like the left better.

He should fix the right side or walk away. It’s his mistake for them not being the same.

#3 11 months ago

Edit- wrong info.

#4 11 months ago

Sorry to hear this. I recently had the worst experience with a contractor. I’m still not over it. At least you have a final payment to withhold. I would not pay that until the contractor makes it right. Unfortunately, I’m not sure you can trust the one you have anymore.

#5 11 months ago

Always look at a blueprint or a computer mockup and have a copy on hand for when the job is finished. Without any plans they can build it any way they want as long as it meets code.

Pretty much out of luck without that.

#6 11 months ago

That’s a goof he figured out at the end and said “eh whatever I’m not tearing it all apart to fix this”

Lazy, have him fix it or have another contractor fix it. Don’t pay!

#7 11 months ago
    Quoted from orangegsx:

That’s a goof he figured out at the end and said “eh whatever I’m not tearing it all apart to fix this”
    Lazy, have him fix it or have another contractor fix it. Don’t pay!

Yeah this was my thought when I first saw it, he measured wrong.
    Thanks for all your responses.

#8 11 months ago

Looking at it again, both lower railings of the stairs sit on the outside of the siding which lines up with the deck siding on the right side.

To attach the railing to the upper post on the right side to make it like the left would require moving the upper deck railing to the edge of the deck, and redoing the bottom post. Then you have the entire upper deck railing out of whack.

There is no way to redo the right side without making the siding not line up or doing that. If you don't care about the siding lining up, the stairs all would need to be shortened on the right side.

So again, having plans ahead of time is always a good idea if you want to be fully satisfied.

#9 11 months ago

There are plans, But something was wrong with his measuring tape.

C43E75B7-2051-4367-9E60-8A860A5BA7B4 (resized).jpeg
    #10 11 months ago

Seeing all that snow buildup on the deck outside the railing, moving all the railings to the edge of the deck would not be the worst idea, then you could have it the way you want it along with rebuilding the lower step and post, but that is still quite a bit more work and materials that they probably won't want to do for free.

Quoted from mcuzz:

There are plans, But something was wrong with his measuring tape.

Take a good look at them and see what went wrong.

#11 11 months ago

Maybe remove stairs, cut some off the right side to make room to fit the railing to inner 4x4? Trim some of the siding as well.

#12 11 months ago
    Quoted from mcuzz:

Maybe remove stairs, cut some off the right side to make room to fit the railing to inner 4x4? Trim some of the siding as well.

Basically you will end up with an offset where the siding meets at the deck to do it that way, and the stairs will need to be rebuilt.

#13 11 months ago

I'll be honest, if it does match the plans, it may not be long until you get used to it the way it is. I had an entire block wall built and they mixed in one pallet of one shade off blocks.

I hounded the dude until they came one day with sledge hammers to knock it down and start over. In the other hand he had a pile of cash from the block company. I took the cash, and it is quite a lovely wall the way it is and I hardly notice.

#14 11 months ago

I would see if you can get another contractor out there to take a look and give you a quote of what it would cost to fix. Perhaps it will equal your holdback and you can work out a deal to simply part ways with your old contractor.

The problem is that a lot on contractors don’t like to finish someone else’s bad work, and at least where I live, work is so plentiful, it is extremely difficult just to find a contractor in the first place. But with winter coming, more contractors may free up and be willing to take odd jobs.

I just don’t think you can trust your old contractor to do this reliably and in a timely manner given what he has done and told you so far.

#15 11 months ago
    Quoted from mcuzz:

There are plans, But something was wrong with his measuring tape.[quoted image]

Please post a pic of the plans.
    Did you need to get a permit?
    If so you probably need a final inspection.
    See what your inspector has to say but It will probably pass inspection.
    The 2x4’s side rails should be attached to the post on both sides in the same place. This would have created a small offset in the right side skirt boards where the steps meet the deck.
    Also weird that he attached the lower posts to the riser on the second step and not the first unless you are factoring in heavy snow / ice buildup on the ground in winter or wanted a more open access area as you approach.

#16 11 months ago

Also is this a guy in a pick up truck or a liscensed contractor who gave a written contract with specs and a plan attached?

#17 11 months ago

This should be an easy fix the stairs are wrong. The top stair starts with a tread instead of a riser. That pushes the top step out ~10” making it interfere with where the railing should go. So instead of doing the stairs right he slapped the railing on the outside instead of above the stair.

The top stair should go down at the edge of the deck. Not stick past the edge of the deck.

#18 11 months ago

You have this
    image (resized).jpg

It should be this
    image (resized).jpg

#19 11 months ago

Then the bottom step will line up with the posts too. Not stick past at the bottom by a full tread.

#20 11 months ago

This is not an easy fix. As Odin has mentioned something will always be out of alignment. Whether it be the railing as it is now, the skirting around the bottom having a 90 deg step in, or one railing above the stairs and one on the side of the stairs.

#21 11 months ago

I agree with your picture, but the 4x4 at the top of the deck would also need to be moved. Which would mean more work around the decking.

#22 11 months ago
    Quoted from Monk:

This is not an easy fix. As Odin has mentioned something will always be out of alignment.

I disagree, I could build this right.

#23 11 months ago

Sure you can and I agree the railing should be on top of the stairs, It would just take some time to do it. You have to move the 4x4s on the left railing which extends the railing on the deck which means you have to replace a few deck boards. Also I don’t know how the railing 4x4s are attached to the stringers in the deck, might be an issue there, might not. If he moves the 4x4s make sure they are still attached with a threw bolt and not just screwed into a 2x?
    F82D89D3-C0D2-4672-BBC3-A19401F51C2B (resized).jpeg

Also you will have to figure out how you want to terminate your skirting around your stairs as the bottom 2x4 will be higher and on the inside of the skirting. I would probably cut the skirting off at the stair and run the tread of the stair over the skirting.

#24 11 months ago

left post is correct, the right post needs moving over so the rail can be in the center like the left one so they are symmetrical!

#25 11 months ago
    Quoted from russdx:

left post is correct, the right post needs moving over so the rail can be in the center like the left one so they are symmetrical!

Could do that, but then you will have many issues with the railing on the deck on that side as well as the skirting alignment.

#26 11 months ago

It is definately wrong but Good luck convincing the contractor to fix it without demanding extra money

Im so tired of constructors taking shortcuts to save time/money or just do bad work simply since they can't do any better. Most contractor work I've hired on my house have ended in disputes about work quality or visual appearance and this is from ppl that had good recommendations.

One crew said they had mounted windows 100s of times but mounted the first new Window upside down and I was the one who noticed it first, luckily before they did the rest of the windows. Another contractor built a brick wall inside but the wall wasnt even properly leveled and far from 90 degrees angle from the ceiling. Another contractor put new tiles on the roof (I was satisfied with the work done) but didnt clean up the garden properly after, leaving small sharp metallic pieces left from sawing rain drainage in the grass where my kids usually runs around barefoot.

#27 11 months ago

The posts are right. The stairs were built wrong, then the rail was built wrong to accommodate the stairs mistake.

#28 11 months ago

The posts can’t be correct, you have the left set outside of the stairs and the right side on top of the stairs. It has to be one or the other. That is the root of the problem.
    AEC5EB78-1614-413C-93C9-A5D394F11E57 (resized).png

Edit: I do see what you’re saying. The stairs could be wider so they go under the left set of handrails. Again not an easy fix though.

#29 11 months ago

OP, if it makes you feel better, our old contractor took 8 weeks to remodel our small first floor bathroom, failed to line up the floor tiles properly, and told me they were supposed to go in that way. Then he failed to complete the job, causing me to have to find someone else. I decided to live with the floor tiles. Then, the shower started leaking into the basement because the original contractor used the wrong materials. I had to find a third person to completely gut the shower and do it over. Total cost was double what we should have paid. And, I get to live with these crooked floor tiles.

I would still be upset if I were you, but sometimes it’s good to know that it could be worse.

49E65D3A-AB8C-4D29-9FC5-E6F28D26A9C6 (resized).jpeg

#30 11 months ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

And, I get to live with these crooked floor tiles.

The tiles are supposed to be offset like that, or is it something else that I'm missing?

#31 11 months ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

The tiles are supposed to be offset like that, or is it something else that I'm missing?

The grout lines should be straight with the outside floor boards. Instead, they are at a slight angle. Even in the room, they are angled with respect to the walls. You can kind of see it in the back left hand corner of the picture, but you can definitely see it with respect to the lines on the floorboards.

#32 11 months ago

You can see by the top stringer of the railing that that posts line up (green line with arrows)

I tried to draw it out here a bit. On the deck, at the top of the stair case, the 1st stair should be down a step, not sticking out from the deck surface like it is now.

The right side of the stair is correct. (Although to high) The treads should come to the outside edge of the post, so that the side boards line up.

The left side of the staircase is wrong. If the steps were correct and lower, then the Tread should got to the outside edge (left side) of the bottom post. Currently the stair is lined up on the right side of the post

The railing should be centered on posts on both sides of the staircase. Currently it looks centered on the left and on the outside of the right. There should also be a flat top board on the railing to match the rest of the decks railing.

9BB24A15-A31A-4BD4-8CF5-FEB90BC94A33 (resized).png

#33 11 months ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

The grout lines should be straight with the outside floor boards. Instead, they are at a slight angle. Even in the room, they are angled with respect to the walls. You can kind of see it in the back left hand corner of the picture, but you can definitely see it with respect to the lines on the floorboards.

I see it now. It's subtle, but once you see it, it's pretty obvious.

#34 11 months ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

I see it now. It's subtle, but once you see it, it's pretty obvious.

Yep. I see it every single day.

#35 11 months ago

My experience with all the different contractors I've used is that you have to baby sit them every single step of the way and I'm usually the one telling them how it should be done. I never trust them to get it right on there own. Believe me, I feel your pain!!

John

#36 11 months ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

OP, if it makes you feel better, our old contractor took 8 weeks to remodel our small first floor bathroom, failed to line up the floor tiles properly, and told me they were supposed to go in that way. Then he failed to complete the job, causing me to have to find someone else. I decided to live with the floor tiles. Then, the shower started leaking into the basement because the original contractor used the wrong materials. I had to find a third person to completely gut the shower and do it over. Total cost was double what we should have paid. And, I get to live with these crooked floor tiles.
    I would still be upset if I were you, but sometimes it’s good to know that it could be worse.
    [quoted image]

Those aren’t crooked. They’re ‘characteristically unique’. Like playfields compared to snowflakes.

Actually your floor looks ok. I’d never notice it other than you saying anything.

#37 11 months ago

Took me 2 years to rebuild have my house from the Hurricane we had.
    Still today, I am fixing the small interior stuff.
    First Contractor wanted 2-3 hours a day paid travel time to and from site, 1 hour paid lunch, per each worker
    ONLY his fixtures, cabinets, etc and No involvement from me daily to keep track of the work.
    The first week I was billed twice the amount of hours they worked.
    The first week included property damage from their trucks.
    I fired them after a week, but needed to find someone that would appreciate me acting as GC
    to keep the final product in line.

Good luck with your solution....no good advice here, only empathy.

#38 11 months ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Those aren’t crooked. They’re ‘characteristically unique’. Like playfields compared to snowflakes.
    Actually your floor looks ok. I’d never notice it other than you saying anything.

It’s tolerable. Most people who visit don’t notice. But, once you notice, you can’t not notice. And, I live here, so I notice every day.

Really, it was just the tip of the iceberg with this contractor. First, he told me that it was supposed to be that way. Then, he didn’t finish. Then, everything he did do was flawed and leaked. The slightly crooked floor is just a constant reminder of the summer of contractor hell.

#39 11 months ago

Not to pile on here but he should have at least made an angle cut so it would be flush with the rail it is meeting up with. ( see circle) But if he had cut the other rail so it would be in the inside of the posts like it should be then then that horizontal board would have nothing to butt up to.
    I would not pay him till it is fixed properly but that is going to entail a lot of work.
    Tell him the first rule: Measure twice, cut once.

82300 (resized).jpg
    #40 11 months ago

i strangely find this to be the most interesting thread on this forum, in quite some time. maybe i'm in the wrong hobby.

#41 11 months ago

Listen to LUCKYDOGG420, he’s 100% correct here

#42 11 months ago
    Quoted from mcuzz:

My contractor says this deck is finished and he wants the final payment. Am I crazy in saying the right railing is wrong? I have never seen a railing look like that. He says all railings are supposed to look like that, if so then why does the left one look correct? Also why use half boards in the corner?[quoted image][quoted image]

Seeing this just triggers my ocd. No way I could leave it that way! Hope you can get it resolved. I recommend being nice if you can first.

#43 11 months ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

i strangely find this to be the most interesting thread on this forum, in quite some time. maybe i'm in the wrong hobby.

I hear ya. Lately I've been reading more of these kind of threads then the actual pinball threads, it's a nice break.

John

#44 11 months ago

Yikes. That doesn’t look good at all.

#45 11 months ago

This is the conversation with my contractor if anyone’s interested, since this thread has become a few pinsiders favorite

DE85F524-33EA-43F7-ABC6-8228802D6936 (resized).jpeg076A2B73-1633-428B-B485-13D9A9EEF3B0 (resized).jpeg072E0CDD-FD99-484E-A39F-9BF7C01A36C8 (resized).jpeg
    #46 11 months ago

Fix the issues get the payment!!!! Fuck him tell him looks like shit. Lazy fuck.

#47 11 months ago

LOL MAN WTF

#48 11 months ago

I’m a builder, and this is an absolute shit job. There’s a lot more issues than the just the railing. I wouldn’t pay this guy at all and I’m usually biased towards the contractor. There’s a few ways that this can be fixed but they are all a lot of work to do. If you want to discuss all the things I see wrong and options on how to make it somewhat looking correct you can pm me and we can talk over the phone or something.

I think the best way to fix it would be to start at right railing and have the railing installed between the posts like the left railing. But that would also require for the height of it to be shortened so that the bottom of it is over the stairs, not next to it like left side.
    Next remove the front landing rail and rebuild it longer it so the post is over the stairway. Then remove left railing, mount lower post on the step like the right railing, and finally reinstall the stair railing post to post. Of course after it’s shortened to match the new right railing.

Make sense?

#49 11 months ago

Ouch. Of course it looks fine to him, it’s not his...

#50 11 months ago

These examples are why I tend to do my own work. Sure it takes longer, but I save a shit ton of cash and it’s turns out a lot better. I mean I have a brain and know how to plan and google.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 14.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 99.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 15.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 800.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Led
    Geeteoh Electronics
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 137.00
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 47.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    MicksPinball
    $ 124.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside