You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1530842309565-2133850366 (resized).jpg
banded (resized).jpg
0704181350_Burst01 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I recently had a flipper start "Machine Gunning" so I pulled out the coil and put a different one in. It fixed the problem for a minute or so but then I noted a burning smell and when I got in there the coil was super hot. I should have taken pictures before I did anything. I'm ordering a new coil but can anyone else tell me if this looks right or not? I know this is pretty simple stuff but I think this is right now. I think when I blew up the last coil I had my grey wires swapped.

0704181350_Burst01 (resized).jpg0704181350_Burst01 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

That Soldering job wouldn't get a passing grade at the Jr. High School I went to.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

That Soldering job wouldn't get a passing grade at the Jr. High School I went to.

They might give a pass to the kid that cut off some of his fingers in metal shop.

#4 5 years ago

Hey now...I'm getting better....slowly...is the wire layout correct though?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from tait316:

Hey now...I'm getting better....slowly

Soldering does take practice.
Oh! and here is a helpful hint. "When reaching for the hot soldering gun, do not look up at the TV at the same time".

#6 5 years ago

The bread tie on the leaf switches looks great.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

The bread tie on the leaf switches looks great.

That has a wire in it... creating a short?

Get that out of there

#8 5 years ago

Jesus whom soldered that goddamn mess; me?

#9 5 years ago

Okay so the bread tie I got out of there. But nobody's answered my question yet. Are the wires in the right spots? I promise to do a neater job when I put the next coil in.

#10 5 years ago

Is that EOS Switch correct?

#11 5 years ago

Evening Bump, back to the Top.

#12 5 years ago

there's a photo halfway down this page

http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/Controlling_Flippers

#13 5 years ago

Make sure the eos switch is opening when the flipper is up.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Make sure the eos switch is opening when the flipper is up.

This!

#15 5 years ago

Power to coil goes to the banded side of the Diodes you have the Eos connected to the wrong side of the diodes. EOS and power return should be on the non banded side.

#16 5 years ago

Eddie oh...I guess I didn't know that. So it matters if they're connected to the top or the underside. I'm a super noon at this. I wonder why I hadn't noticed that before.

Oh wait....you're not talking about the top or bottom of the connectors....This lingo is new to me...so the banded side means the side with the band...

banded (resized).jpgbanded (resized).jpg
#17 5 years ago

Thanks again everybody the machines up and working and I think I've learned something about how these coils work.

1530842309565-2133850366 (resized).jpg1530842309565-2133850366 (resized).jpg
#18 5 years ago
Quoted from tait316:

Thanks again everybody the machines up and working and I think I've learned something about how these coils work.

That's the important part! Everybody on here has had to learn at some point. Sometimes the school of hard knocks is the best teacher!

#19 5 years ago

Not being critical as we all had to learn at some point, but are you using flux when you solder? And are you tinning off the terminal and the wire? Glad it is up and running now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-this-look-right-1?hl=tait316 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.