(Topic ID: 61531)

Does this look like I need a new LM323? (5V regulator)

By altan

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by altan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1380.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

The picture below shows the 5Vs I'm getting. The game isn't resetting. But while my DMM reads around 4.86 V, the scope shows a close to 700 mV swing. I scoped out a couple other WPC machines and their 5V on the scope has a significantly smaller swing.

So I'm planning on getting a new LM323 (NTE931) and trying it out... unless someone says I'm going down the wrong path.

Thanks

IMG_1380.jpgIMG_1380.jpg

#2 10 years ago

If your game isn't resetting, I'd leave it alone.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

I would suspect the filter cap first

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

If your game isn't resetting, I'd leave it alone.

Good advise which I usually follow, but...

Quoted from barakandl:

I would suspect the filter cap first

So I replaced C4 and the DMM reading went from 4.86 to 4.92V. The swing also reduced, but not to the level I wanted.

I discussed this with some other people and the general conclusion is that this is not something to worry about. So I'm planning on leaving it as is.

#5 10 years ago

The output of a LM323K varies from component to component. I have seen some new ones put out 5.3v and other ones put out 4.7v.

4.9v is a touch low, but if you are not getting resets, don't mess with it.

#6 10 years ago

4.92 should be good....Correct me if I'm wrong but the watchdog Dallas circuit resets the game if voltage drops below 4.80v I doubt you can get one in there that will be 5.0..there is like a 3-5% give on those LMK323.

#7 10 years ago

There is nothing wrong with that regulator and is within spec. Voltage ripple is not caused by the regulator but by filtering caps.

If you *must* increase the voltage, insert a resistor in the regulator's ground path. Approximately every 10 ohms of resistance added to the ground path raises the output voltage by about 0.1 volts.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks guys.

So talking theoretically here...

What would I need to do to reduce the point-to-point AC ripple? I have a new C4, BR2 and C5 installed and I'm seeing the image above. Ok, it got a little smaller (200 mV? I don't recall) when I replaced the C4. But it's still at least 400 mV.

The ripple is almost exactly 5 Mhz. Perhaps it's high frequency noise from somewhere else in the machine?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-this-look-like-a-need-a-new-lm323-5v-regulator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.