(Topic ID: 58056)

Does this "flipper" machine predate Humpty Dumpty ?

By PinPatch

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jonnyo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

Surfing through youtube and found this video about an old "pinball" machine - Hercules Manufacturing Co.1932 Double Shuffel
    ยป YouTube video
    To me it is a machine that has flippers that reduce the randomness and makes it a game of skill.
    This pinball is years before Gottleib's Humpty Dumpty so should Double Shuffel be known as the first pinball machine with flippers?
    Interested in people's thoughts.

Viper is correct - Humpty Dumpty is the first with EM flippers.

From the historical materials I've read, my own personal opinion is Double Shuffle came out at a time that didn't necessarily need flippers. Pinball was only about a year old, was a huge hit and used for gambling. Everyone knew it but the laws and moral brigade hadn't caught up yet.

By 1947, the depression was over and the war was won. Pinball was getting banned left and right and the mafia was heavily involved. Pinball needed a silver bullet to evolve in a way that would help resolve it's legal/criminal issues but also stay popular with the public. That's why EM flippers were such a hit when they were.

I got to play Double Shuffle once and it's pretty cool. It's a very elegant-looking game and more fun to play than most pre-flippers, because a pre-flipper without the gambling element often loses a lot of its appeal. If they were produced today I would probably buy one over the bagatelles a few companies make.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-this-flipper-machine-predate-humpty-dumpty?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.