(Topic ID: 74221)

Does this fix work to stop popping sound on MM between balls?

By DirtySouth

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by John_I
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Discussion included at this link: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medieval-madness-popping-noise-between-balls

Essentially cutting 47 and 51 on the sound board.

Wanna make sure it works before doing it.

Thanks to anyone who can advise!

#2 10 years ago

My totan had the crackly sound, c47 and c51 were still on my board, cut a leg of each out of line, and voila! crackling went away.

#3 10 years ago

It won't fix the between ball pop, that's a software bug. Cutting those caps cleans up crappy audio. MM has a later revision board and it should not even have those caps installed.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

It won't fix the between ball pop, that's a software bug. Cutting those caps cleans up crappy audio. MM has a later revision board and it should not even have those caps installed.

Its not a software bug. If it were, every Mm would do it. I own one and have had several through my shop and none do it. Neither does pinmame. The only software contribution is the software does a soft reset of the sound system between balls. But that's not a bug.

#5 10 years ago

Software bug? Hardware bug? Things are often not that clear cut. It could be software writing random audio samples that usually are silent, but on some machines, it comes across as a pop. Sometimes hardware bugs can get fixed with software workarounds and vice versa. The bottom line is that it is unpleasant and removing C47 and C51 does not fix it.

#6 10 years ago

My MM also pops between ball serves no matter how low the volume. Has done this since the day I got it. My sound board has empty spaces for C47 and C51 as Metallik states so the later board revision board does not have those caps. Anyone know if Williams ever released a technical bulletin for this?

1 year later
#7 8 years ago

I know I am bumping an old topic. Is there a fix for this? Seems like it happens on some machines and not on others? I have an MM loan to me and the popping is pretty loud. Maybe some sort of grounding issue?

#8 8 years ago

I hated that pop when I had my MM. Curious. Does MMR do this?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

I hated that pop when I had my MM. Curious. Does MMR do this?

I'm not convinced that MM original does this short of a few machines with an issue. But MMR has a redesigned sound set up so it wouldn't be hit by this problem

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I'm not convinced that MM original does this short of a few machines with an issue. But MMR has a redesigned sound set up so it wouldn't be hit by this problem

Seems like more than a few machines. Mine did it when I owned one before.

So, if you think it is a few machines "with and issue", what might that issue be? Seems like a charge is building up or maybe a register is not clearing when the sound chip resets?

This game had rev 0.5 game software up until today and I just put in 1.09C. It fixed the phantom lock issues, but not the sound. The sound rev shows as 1.0 and I am pretty sure that is the latest sound revision.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 64.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-this-fix-work-to-stop-popping-sound-on-mm-between-balls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.