• Latest reply 9 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

manuallabor.jpg
Gremlin.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nagamitsu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Is it safe to say, an EM pin, if all coils and relays work and everything is getting power, that all that's really left in way of what can cause things to not work, is dirty contacts?

Just with troubleshooting my machine with two odd issues, I've summed up that absolutely every coil/solenoid and relay work properly. Does it make sense that some leaf switches somewhere are not getting proper contact, hence two symptoms that shouldn't be there?

Trying to make sense of the process, as I swear I've gone over everything obvious.

Tim

#4 9 years ago

I think the Gods are messing with me. All wires appear to be completely intact, there's not one switch, coil, relay or light bulb that is NOT working. Everything has power and functions.

No schematic, schematics just confuse me more trying to read them. It's a Zaccaria Supersonic.

Two issues. Bonus stepper works one way (activates bonus), while it is active, and ball drains, it doesn't kick out the ball again (unless assuming the ball draining should reset the bonus). If that's the case, the bonus stepper simply isn't getting triggered to reset. Manual activation of its relay to reset works fine.

Second issue, is another stepper or reel under playfield that was resetting fine the other day, but now does not. It advances/activates, but upon reset of game, it does not reset. Manually activating its relay resets it fine.

Even with the schematic, all the wires (braided material) are hard to see their colours, quite faded and hard to differentiate.

Tim

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And yeah, sometimes it is also a switch that is stuck closed that shouldn't be. What I have found in my short EM experience is that the problem is right there in front of me just waiting for me to understand it. Once I do the fix is easy.

Thanks! I guess schematic would tell me whether certain switches should be open or closed in a reset state? Crap, already feeling like trying to find needle in haystack! Lol

Tim

#9 9 years ago

I think my issues now lie in the score motor. There must be switches in it that are not sending the signal/power to the relays that reset these two components. That's the only thing I can think of that could be causing these two symptoms.

Seems obvious to me, but still learning EM repair!

Tim

#10 9 years ago

Why oh why did I get an EM. Lol! Second issue fixed, leaf switch must have somehow stopped coming into contact, adjusted it and now that advance feature resets.

Back to the original bonus stepper not resetting issue, maybe I will pinpoint what should be triggering it. (as only assumed right now that is ball drain, outhole switch)

Tim

3 weeks later
#16 9 years ago

I'll keep banging away on it. Am in midst of trying to arrange/pay an OP here to come to my home to adjust/fix it properly. $75 for first half hour, $55 each hour after.

Steppers are all clean and AOK. There's no break in flow of current, the issue (bonus not handing out on ball drain, and bonus stepper resetting to zero), with help from a friend only doing some switch adjustment and cleaning, we did get it to work once properly.

I know it is an easy fix somewhere, just with adjustment and cleaning in the switches, I just can't pinpoint exactly what ones to concentrate on.

Tim

#19 9 years ago

Thanks! I've just been having trouble with the pinpointing part of it, and schematic just making it more frustrating. Am sure I'll get it working 100% soon!

Tim

#21 9 years ago

Yup, I've triple checked the score motor, all contacts opening and closing correctly and clean. There's about 5 other spots that could be causing my problem at the moment, and I continue to adjust to see if it fixes the issue. Friend and I had it working once during cleaning/adjusting, so clearly an adjustment in some switch is not quite right.

Tim

#24 9 years ago

Thanks! Got it working. Technically all components functioned, was a switch on the bonus stepper itself, that as much as it looked to be making proper contact, it was not. Cleaned further and adjusted, and now game working perfectly.

Tim

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nagamitsu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-this-describesum-up-em-repair?tu=nagamitsu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.