(Topic ID: 257738)

Does this board ever make you feel old? Out of touch?

By cscmtp

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Darkwing
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (2) (resized).jpg
    3jvtib (resized).jpg
    3jvh7k (resized).jpg
    creed-dark-hair1 (resized).png
    i-found-there-was-only-one-way-to-look-thin-53139876 (resized).jpg
    4612377C-BEB7-405E-B16F-277EBD31B7C2 (resized).jpeg
    There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

I'm 49, and yet sometimes I feel like Clint Eastwood's character from Grand Tarino (GET OFF MY LAWN) when I see all these threads and people excited about themes like Stranger Things, Rick and Morty, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles....really? When did I get so old and out of touch?!? In my defense, I do have a really good pinball collection, so I have that going for me...but man I'm not cool if these themes are the in thing and supposed to excite me.

#2 4 years ago

It only makes you old and out of touch if the concept of someone making something that doesn't appeal directly to you offends you or makes you upset. It sounds like you just don't watch a lot of TV, which is probably a good thing .

#3 4 years ago

LOL no.

I'm 44 and it makes me feel young, quite often.

#4 4 years ago

Yes, it could be that we feel old..But on the bright side ..Those 80's & 90's and pins era were ours to play EVERYWHERE at the time...(and even earlier I might add).
    Even though I do own new pins...those are always going to have a special spot in my heart, and many are still as good as what is coming out.

Now, get off my lawn.

#5 4 years ago

i don't know how much of it has to do with age.

As for out of touch - I barely know any of the new, hot bands and have never heard of Rick and Morty either. I live 3 miles from work and don't even bother turning on the radio for the 8 minute drive, so I dont really get exposed to new music. I have only so much time for tv after "real life" - work, family, etc. I'm not watching tv at 1130pm when Rick and Morty are on. Sure, they're on Hulu, my son has an account, but I just don't have room in my schedule. I'll eventually check an episode out, but it's not a priority.

It takes work to stay hip, and sometimes it's not worth the return. I'd rather read a good book. Who cares about New Republic.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

It only makes you old and out of touch if the concept of someone making something that doesn't appeal directly to you offends you or makes you upset. It sounds like you just don't watch a lot of TV, which is probably a good thing .

And to be clear I'm not offended or upset, I just laugh how not in touch I am in many ways...and its true, I almost never watch TV, other than a sporting event or movie...I think I'm all the better for it too

And I realize pins can be fantastic and have kinda crappy themes and vice versa. So for all those that are so into these shows/cartoons, I hope your pins turn out great, I really do.

#7 4 years ago

When people talk about their dream themes on this board, and most of the games released as of late, it makes me feel super young.

#8 4 years ago
    4612377C-BEB7-405E-B16F-277EBD31B7C2 (resized).jpeg4612377C-BEB7-405E-B16F-277EBD31B7C2 (resized).jpeg
    #9 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LOL no.

Quoted from o-din:

When people talk about their dream themes on this board, and most of the games released as of late, it makes me feel super young.

i-found-there-was-only-one-way-to-look-thin-53139876 (resized).jpgi-found-there-was-only-one-way-to-look-thin-53139876 (resized).jpg
    #10 4 years ago

I see the new pinball machines themes as an opportunity to find out about things that are hot or popular. For instance I heard about Supreme for the first time here in Pinside. Or Guardians of the Galaxy. Often the themes make me want to go and check out the show, movie or whatever or renew my aquaintance with older stuff - like batman 66 or Munsters.

#11 4 years ago

I'm the old fart here. But regular ripostes with o-din and Crazy Levi seem to shave 10 years off As far as themes go, I really couldn't care less. If playing a particular pin gives me good vibes then I am satisfied.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

I see the new pinball machines themes as an opportunity to find out about things that are hot or popular.

I see most of them as a way to find out what used to be and was popular.

#13 4 years ago

49 and loving it.

It’s just a forum. I don’t worry too much about it. I’ve got pretty specific tastes.

#14 4 years ago

only if you are an aarp member should you feel this way.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from robotron:

only if you are an aarp member should you feel this way.

I rip that shit up every time it comes in the mail.

#16 4 years ago

Not at all, bruh. I work hard at remaining current & looking young.
    creed-dark-hair1 (resized).pngcreed-dark-hair1 (resized).png

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No way!

O-din, you could get a sweet free backpack when you apply for an AARP credit card...........just sayin'........

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from cscmtp:

And to be clear I'm not offended or upset, I just laugh how not in touch I am in many ways...and its true, I almost never watch TV, other than a sporting event or movie...I think I'm all the better for it too
    And I realize pins can be fantastic and have kinda crappy themes and vice versa. So for all those that are so into these shows/cartoons, I hope your pins turn out great, I really do.

Ha! Didn't mean to imply you were, and it sounds like you have the right attitude. I'm 35 with a full time job and a 3 year old. The more life goes on, the more refined your interests become and you tend to focus your energy on what you like and enjoy vs. feeling like you have to "keep up". I'm also in a place where my free time is limited, so I watch some TV here and there but only what I find myself genuinely interested in and spend a majority of my free time on pinball and getting together with friends and playing some board games when we can. I don't think there's anything wrong with being "out of touch" honestly. I'm not up on most current movies or pop music, there's essentially limitless content these days if you consider digital music and media too. I think any of us could be "in touch" if we wanted to, it's just not where we care to spend our time.

Risk and Morty is actually interesting timing wise because I hadn't seen it until about a month ago. People kept telling me I HAD to watch it. I wasn't avoiding it because I thought it was stupid, I just didn't want to spend my time watching TV at that particular point. I've been working my way through it the past few weeks here and there and have really be enjoying it.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

O-din, you could get a sweet free backpack when you apply for an AARP credit card...........just sayin'........

I used to read the ones they sent my mom and there is nothing there for me.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So do I. I refuse to submit Except I did manage to pick up a top quality paper shredder at the auction which makes life easier.

#21 4 years ago

What this board does make me realize, is there are a lot of people younger in age with less hair than I.

#22 4 years ago

No, I'm 52. I feel in touch. This board is a part of it.
    Everything is connected. I love pinball too so there's that!

#23 4 years ago

No.

The only thing I notice is the young high testosterone driven guys. Aggressive tone of their posts. Having to win or dominate one thing. Losing sight of the big win.

LTG : )

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

The only thing I notice is the young high testosterone driven guys.

Glad I don't suffer from that.

#25 4 years ago

yup, guardians of the galaxy, never heard of them. Deadpool, never heard of him. rick and morty… think I seen them as I flipped through my channels once every 2 months. stranger things...….. couldn't tell ya a damn thing about em.

#26 4 years ago

Younger people get less and less cool every day.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Younger people get less and less cool every day.

This board has definitely taught me that.

#28 4 years ago

It doesn't make me feel old becasue I'm probably at the median age.
    It makes me feel out of touch with other pinsiders as things that are less important to me aboot pinball become more important to others.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It makes me feel out of touch with other pinsiders as things that are less important to me aboot pinball become more important to others.

What happy meal toys and blinding lights will look best on my game?

#30 4 years ago

Hey, at least we aren't discussing which denture creme holds the best, and which adult diapers leak the least!

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Hey, at least we aren't discussing which denture creme holds the best, and which adult diapers leak the least!

That comes right after the "what should be the next rock band themed game" thread.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LOL no.

This, plus a year. Never knew so many of my fellow gen-xers are boomers in disguise.

#33 4 years ago

I had never realized gen-xers were going to be prone to such fast aging.

#34 4 years ago

The entire point of Stranger Things was to appeal to the 40 and 50 somethings... that show took me right back to the 80s (in a good way!).

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I never realized gen-xers were going to be prone to such fast aging.

In the words of noted philosopher Charles Barkley, “Father Time is undefeated.”

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

The entire point of Stranger Things was to appeal to the 40 and 50 somethings... that show took me right back to the 80s (in a good way!).

The entire point of Rick and Morty is to appeal to those that don't live in the past.

#37 4 years ago

This board makes me feel pretty young sometimes. Specially when I hear some of the themes people *really* want.

#38 4 years ago

I'm guessing I am on the mid to upper end age-wise around here, and I often cringe at the rehashing of old (read: 70s-90s era) themes on new pins.
    But then again, I prefer themes that are original, which might put me in the minority. I'm not crazy about music, movie and tv show themes, but hey, if you like 'em, that's cool. I like the fact that games are being released with contemporary themes. Bottom line: if the game is good (and the theme isn't totally obnoxious), then I am happy.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from bkaelin:

I'm guessing I am on the mid to upper end age-wise around here, and I often cringe at the rehashing of old (read: 70s-90s era) themes on new pins.

That's called staying young while growing up and getting over it. And actually enjoying the now.

#40 4 years ago

Yep, Pinside is like the fountain of youth, where at 57 it affirms I am younger in mind, body, and soul than many in their 40s.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yep, Pinside is like the fountain of youth, where at 57 it affirms I am younger in mind, body, and soul than many in their 40s.

Good point O-din. We are all playing giant light boxes with sounds, specifically made for attracting kids at an arcade. What part of shiny, bright, noisy pinball doesn't make one feel like a kid?

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

What part of shiny, bright, noisy pinball doesn't make one feel like a kid?

The part where I am drinking whiskey playing to win money.

#43 4 years ago

49 here. The forum doesn't make me feel old at all. I like Stranger Things and probably would like R&M if I had more time to watch. My wife and I like the Discovery ID channel, serial killer, true crime stuff (we know how to get rid of a body) more than anything. Hearing about new things keeps ma' brains fresh. I do like Family Guy though.

#44 4 years ago

My story begins in nineteen-dickety-two. We had to say dickety because the Kaiser had stolen our word twenty. I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles.

What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem!

Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

#45 4 years ago

Nope I'm 55 and the only theme to come up that I was clueless on was Supreme....and I am ok with that.

#46 4 years ago

I suppose I might like Stranger Things if I was old.

#47 4 years ago

So am I the only one that pretends to be hip and bullshits his way through this stuff?

I'm on season 12 of Rick, Mork and Mindy.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

My story begins in nineteen-dickety-two. We had to say dickety because the Kaiser had stolen our word twenty. I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem!
    Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Sounds like you also invented the marathon...

#49 4 years ago

Born in '61. Never felt old in my life. Been teaching middle school for almost 30 years, and I'm planning on at least 30 more. Very much in touch.
    And I still play with my toys.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Born in '61. Never felt old in my life.

You look very young. It's that 70s surf van that's a dead givaway.

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-this-board-ever-make-you-feel-old-out-of-touch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.