(Topic ID: 271450)

Does this already exist? Ball stop for when lifting playfield...

By RetroGamerJP

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tilted81
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

61CA76C6-7EAA-4E8B-BD41-E8666247E4F4 (resized).png
    #1 3 years ago

Issue: I forget ... my "friend" forgets to remove balls before lifting playfield for service and they come crashing down.

I don't know if a product already exists for this issue or I feel like I may have even read about machines that had some sort of mech that would lock the balls in place when lifting the playfield.

I've only forgot to do this once or twice but still, pulling the balls out prior is always a pain. Seems like it would be easy to design some sort of 3D Printed "plug" that you could pop in to keep them from tumbling out.

What clever methods does everyone have to keep balls in place while the playfield is up?

#2 3 years ago

It exists. JJP has had a solution in place for years. Basically, a hanging flap swings down to block the ball triugh when the play field is lifted. Just a square piece of metal with a pin in the corner. Others have similar.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

It exists. JJP has had a solution in place for years. Basically, a hanging flap swings down to block the ball triugh when the play field is lifted. Just a square piece of metal with a pin in the corner. Others have similar.

Ah, it must have been JJP that I was thinking of. 99% of my machines have always been newer Sterns so I'm without that elegant solution.

#4 3 years ago

I’ve talked about this for years to friends. I think it needs to be something like those wine bottle stoppers that expand when you pull a lever. Doesn’t have to be as tight a fit of course. But every time I think of designing something like this i realize the rag I’ve been using for years to plug the hole does the same thing for much cheaper.

#5 3 years ago
    61CA76C6-7EAA-4E8B-BD41-E8666247E4F4 (resized).png61CA76C6-7EAA-4E8B-BD41-E8666247E4F4 (resized).png
    #6 3 years ago

Just shove a microfiber cloth into the area the ball ejects from. Heck of a lot cheaper than the $125 trough thingie!

#8 3 years ago

EXACTLY!! This is nothing new, first introduced on Pin 2000's back in 1999.

John

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

EXACTLY!! This is nothing new, first introduced on Pin 2000's back in 1999.
    John

Didn’t Capcom do something first?

#10 3 years ago

Ya know Hilton I think your right but I couldn't remember for sure so I just went with it....LOL.

John

#12 3 years ago

Yeah it was done way before JJP came along. Not sure why it is not on every game though. As others have said, I just use a rag.

#13 3 years ago

It existed at least as far back as the 50s when a spring loaded flap kept all five balls from embarrassing the operator.

#14 3 years ago

I think I posted my invention, the 'troughpon". Check the DIY thread...

#15 3 years ago

I just wad up some paper towels. Works great. Unless I forget to remove it when I put the glass back on

#16 3 years ago

I use a sock

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Just shove a microfiber cloth into the area the ball ejects from. Heck of a lot cheaper than the $125 trough thingie!

That's what I do, pair of microfiber cloths stuffed in the lane and outhole.

#18 3 years ago

Is there one that works for Stern games? I like to add these to every game as a precaution - and the only game that doesn’t have one is TZ, and any Stern game.

#19 3 years ago

For $6k - $9k+ and yearly price increases for over a decade I've wondered why Stern doesn't put a ball stop on their games. Every modern game should come with a trough ball stop.

#20 3 years ago

HA! I see what you did there. Sinner...

#21 3 years ago

Piece of a sponge

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For $6k - $9k+ and yearly price increases for over a decade I've wondered why Stern doesn't put a ball stop on their games. Every modern game should come with a trough ball stop.

If I pay you $6k-$9k, will you stop your six-times-a-day reminder that you think Stern should give you a bunch of free shit because their games cost $6k-9k?

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If I pay you $6k-$9k, will you stop your six-times-a-day reminder that you think Stern should give you a bunch of free shit because their games cost $6k-9k?

Sure, send it to my PayPal Crazy I don't want free shi* but rather for Stern to justify their asking prices by including a similar number of features and quality as other manufacturers. I guess a thin piece of metal to stop a ball is too much to ask!

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Sure, send it to my PayPal Crazy I don't want free shi* but rather for Stern to justify their asking prices by including a similar number of features and quality as other manufacturers. I guess a thin piece of metal to stop a ball is too much to ask!

Does -anyone- even make one that fits a Stern?

#25 3 years ago

I like the sock idea.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-this-already-exist-ball-stop-for-when-lifting-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.