Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pinterest
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1388 (resized).JPG
    img_1601 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 7 years ago

If you're putting 50 cents in it, no. If you're paying $5000-$15,000....FUCK YES.

1 week later
    #121 7 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

And Mustang is a great game example of the theme mattering. I've owned my 2006 Mustang GT for 10 years now, and still enjoy it. I really really want that pin just based on the theme.

It's a great example of the theme mattering in the opposite direction. As someone who sees a car as a mode of transportation, I see Mustang and see "Box With Wheels That Gets Me Places: THE GAME" ZZZzzzZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZzZZzzzzzz

(Yes, I've played Mustang and it's OK fun...but the theme was an instant turnoff. I'd never buy one BECAUSE of its theme)

#124 7 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Is a great theme with shit rules worth $5000-$15,000?
    Indiana Jones is the same theme whether made by Williams or Stem.

You could argue that NO game is worth that much. However, since much of the new pin business is based on frontloading sales to get cash in the door and games on the line, a hot theme like Indiana Jones is more likely to do that than a theme that doesn't resonate with customers. Look at Dialed In. Might be the greatest game with the greatest rules of all time...but since there's no emotional attachment to the theme, people are fine to wait and play it first. On the other hand, Ghostbusters flew out the door before anyone laid their hands on it.

Now - a game with a great layout and great rules will find that reputation eventually and sell games eventually...but many of these companies can't wait for "eventually"....so, theme gets things moving.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-theme-really-matter?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.