Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pinterest
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1388 (resized).JPG
    img_1601 (resized).jpg
    There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Except The Shadow
    bad movie, ugly Translight, but still is a populat game

Still a cool theme, even if the movie sucks.

#152 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Not exactly true...
    Crappy themes that are good players only have appeal to hard-core pinball fans.
    Crappy themes that are poor players appeal to no one.
    Good themes that are good players appeal to everyone.
    Good themes that are crappy players still have some appeal to the masses.
    If a game has a good theme it is at least worth something.

Agree alot on this. Theme is important because it can sell even half ass games. The Magic comes when you get both together. I know someone who wanted to buy her husband a Fire! Pinball machine just because he was a fire fighter. She had no idea whether or not it was fun but theme alone sold that game to some people.

#153 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Agree alot on this. Theme is important because it can sell even half ass games. The Magic comes when you get both together. I know someone who wanted to buy her husband a Fire! Pinball machine just because he was a fire fighter. She had no idea whether or not it was fun but theme alone sold that game to some people.

So theme may be more important to people who don't really care about how a game plays.

I personally would never own a great theme that was no good, but I would own a fun game despite the theme.

#154 7 years ago

I don't own a lot of games at once....so they generally have to have both if it's going to stick around long.

#155 7 years ago

Look at my collection... I think theme is pretty important to me. Nuff Said.

#156 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

One of these pins is not like the others...one of these pins just isn't the same!

#157 7 years ago

Of course it matters, but what's more important is what the pin does with it. I was all over the idea of a GOT pin, but I can't stand playing it because it doesn't do anything interesting with the theme and I hate how it shoots. RCT is an amazing theme, but the code sucks so hard that I don't even put quarters into it when I come across one. On the other hand, while I do enjoy watching WOF when someone has it on, I'm not drawn to the WOF pin because of the theme, but because it's such a fun, funky layout and the theme accentuates it.

The main thing a theme does is sell or repel a pin at first glance. After that it's all about integration. I don't like Metallica at all, but it's a great pin - and I don't enjoy the new Star Trek movies, and I don't enjoy the new Star Trek game, so it's a lose-lose - and I love the Batman 66 tv show, but I hate the Batman 66 pin.

3 weeks later
    #158 6 years ago

In summary .., theme matters. To some it is 100 percent the most important factor to consider and to others it may be worth zero. Most people fall in the middle of this scale. So theme matters. Many people explain that their ambivalence to theme in pricing terms. At the right price, people will play any theme and also others will consider purchasing per their own level of comfort.

I'm always scouting 4-sale ads looking for a deal and will click on just about anything. It is truly a sickness with a stranglehold over my will power. Even when I don't want another pin, have no space nor money. If the right opportunity presents itself, any number of pins might follow me home.

Theme does have some influence. If Stern decided every new pin release would be Spider Man themed. That's right, 3 new Spider Men a year, plus an occasional Spider Man vault edition. Even if each game had a completely different layout, rules and art, I'd never buy another Stern. That would be over the line. But short of extreme conditions, I'd consider owning most dmd's.

#159 6 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

SPACEMAN!!

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-theme-really-matter/page/4?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.