Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pinterest
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1388 (resized).JPG
    img_1601 (resized).jpg

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 6 years ago

Does theme REALLY matter?

Chatting to a fellow pinhead recently and the topic of Homepins Thunderbirds machine came up. He said that he had not taken much notice as he did not like the theme.

I asked him if he liked watching old Westerns?
    Huh.
    You have a Cactus Canyon, must mean you like watching old western movies.
    Nup

How about the old Twilight Zone TV show?
    You have the game, you must have watched the show?
    Nup

I am not a fan of the band Metallica, but I do like the machine

While theme and or reputation play a part in getting our initial attention, it does not affect if we will enjoy a game

#2 6 years ago

I care quite a bit about the theme personally. For me, I only feel pulled in if I like the whole package. The pins that I own are usually ones which kick ass and have a theme that I dig.

#3 6 years ago

I recently played a Aerosmith pro and loved it but there is no way Id own a game themed Aerosmith.

#4 6 years ago

I really like original themes......

#6 6 years ago

Only if I hate the theme, and there are only a few of those. I don't care much for the Star Trek movies or show, but have a Stern Star Trek because I think its an awesome game.

Aerosmith looks great too, but I can't get past that one. I don't like the band, and since I have a Metallica it sounds weird that they used the same voice for the little joker guy. Its like when Yoda spoke and you heard Grover. If you dropped any basketball themed game off at my house, I'd leave it out in the yard to get rained on. It's an absolute garbage theme to me.

#7 6 years ago

I won't buy a DI because the theme does nothing for me.

I will play and enjoy themes I don't care for.....but I won't buy them

#8 6 years ago

It's not so much the theme but how the theme is integrated into the game. I love game of thrones but I don't think the pin used the theme well.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

While theme and or reputation play a part in getting our initial attention, it does not affect if we will enjoy a game

100% true. And I agree. But it does affect the chances of me buying it.

#10 6 years ago

I totally agree with you. Theme doesn't matter to me as long as i enjoy playing it.

My example is The Shadow. I hated that movie and the theme does nothing for me, but I just love the pinball machine so much that it will be one of the first machines I buy. Same with Addams Family. I have no interest in the theme, but I keep going back to play it.

Funny thing is, the opposite can be true also. I love Game of Thrones and have read all the Song of Ice and Fire novels, but I thought the pinball machine was average at best, the art doesn't appeal to me and I won't consider ever buying it.

#11 6 years ago

Theme isn't everything but it's definitely HUGE! Look at the Elvira announcement today and how pinheads reacted to it. I think that proves just how much theme matters. Star Wars will be another example of how much theme matters. Another great example is Dialed In, it sounds like the game itself is fantastic but I think most people shrug their shoulders at it because of the theme.

I am at the point right now that if it's going to go in my house, I gotta LOVE the theme or it's a no go. I only have a few spots left to complete my collection so I gotta love it and it has to be something special. One of those spots just got taken today by Elvira!

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Another great example is Dialed In, it sounds like the game itself is fantastic but I think most people shrug their shoulders at it because of the theme.

I'm sure that is true, but I bet that some of those shrugging their shoulders might have a change of heart once they play the game. Theme might be an initial draw card, but only once you play a game can you really be the judge of a machine. I think once a game has been out in the wild for a few years, theme matters little on a games reputation.

#13 6 years ago

I think theme matters when the dollar valuation or space limitation comes into play. I own a Barb Wire and it is hard to look at the backglass sometimes but it plays awesome and is a fun under rated game. For under 2k I can live with a sub par theme with a great layout. Now as far as Harbody's pinball go's you would probably have to pay me to put that theme in my house. Stern Mustang is a decent game but the theme does not do it for me and thus the rule of substitution applies. For the money I would rather have....

On the other hand some people buy on theme alone which can be dangerous. I love the Hobbit theme but I dislike the game. I am glad I did not purchase blind on theme alone when Hobbit was released. Different strokes for different folks.

#14 6 years ago

I dont think so really,

Look at my previously owned and current collection list.. there are some KILLER players in there...

and most of them are made up themes... if ya know what i mean...

Not the typical Stern populist type stuff...

Gameplay means everything, tight shots, good rules, and a difficult machine keeps ya pressing the start button again and again...

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

I dont think so really,
    Look at my previously owned and current collection list.. there are some KILLER players in there...
    and most of them are made up themes... if ya know what i mean...
    Not the typical Stern populist type stuff...
    Gameplay means everything, tight shots, good rules, and a difficult machine keeps ya pressing the start button again and again...

Yep love some original themes.... cant wait for dialed in

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

I'm sure that is true, but I bet that some of those shrugging their shoulders might have a change of heart once they play the game. Theme might be an initial draw card, but only once you play a game can you really be the judge of a machine. I think once a game has been out in the wild for a few years, theme matters little on a games reputation.

I think it definitely matters for people buying a game for their home.

#17 6 years ago

Absolutely theme matters! Are you ready for a Barney/Baby Bop LE that has a great shot layout?

#18 6 years ago

Theme matters to me. Dialed in seems like an awesome pinball machine, but I'm not attracted to owning it like I am ST, or X-Men. But at the same time, I love TOTAN which "I believe" isn't based on a TV series, movie. I remember walking past last action hero, and Maverick because I didn't care for the movie. Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely consider owning an original themed game such as MM, CC but I'm definitely drawn in to franchises I adore.

#19 6 years ago

I am all about the theme. I like to embrace my obsessions. Movies, TV shows...

#20 6 years ago

If theme didn't matter, Star Wars wouldn't be coming. Again.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Orko:

Theme matters to me. Dialed in seems like an awesome pinball machine, but I'm not attracted to owning it like I am ST, or X-Men. But at the same time, I love TOTAN which "I believe" isn't based on a TV series, movie. I remember walking past last action hero, and Maverick because I didn't care for the movie. Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely consider owning an original themed game such as MM, CC but I'm definitely drawn in to franchises I adore.

There are exceptions to everything and those games are all classics that you mentioned so that kind of makes a difference also. They are a part of pinball history, or Americana if you will. Back then Theme didn't matter as much as it does today imo.

#22 6 years ago

If you're putting 50 cents in it, no. If you're paying $5000-$15,000....FUCK YES.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

If you're putting 50 cents in it, no. If you're paying $5000-$15,000....FUCK YES.

Exactly

#24 6 years ago

Of course theme matters or else we'd have all white pinball machines.

My question is do licensed themes matter? I don't love most of the licensed themes. Seems like a lack of creativity to rely on licensed themes. I would rather have original creative themes like MM, Dialed In and AFM.

#25 6 years ago

Licensed themes are King, so yes licensed themes matter.

#26 6 years ago

In terms of my personal preference, not really. I love a lot of games based on things I don't really like.

Now in respect to how the game is designed, the theme is crucial. Designing games around the theme makes for a much more satisfying experience where you feel directly involved with the game's world.

#28 6 years ago

Themes are there to draw you in initially. If it has good art and rules and shoots well(mm, AFM, Totan,) then themes doesn't make a difference. It's still important to many peoples decisions. how many people said "if they make a _____ pin I would preorder without hesitation. Seems dumb but stern understands people will still buy based on theme alone. Even if it plays ok and has half finished code they will still sell.

#29 6 years ago

I prefer unlicensed themes in general. Things that are badass like Sorcerer or something like that. If a game is great (Whirlwind, Fish Tales) and the theme is not 100% horrible it doesn't matter.

With the Alice Cooper Pinball being announced by Spooky I am now faced with a pin whose theme I totally love, but am worried because it better be a great game to live up to the theme.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

100% this. I've got finite space in my game room (and even fewer funds). If I'm dropping $5K+ on a game, the theme has to appeal to me (hence why 7/8ths of collection is horror-related... and the other is Tron).

That's why I'm really torn on my next pin. It's either going to be Elvira 3 or Star Wars, depending on pics/details. Alice Cooper is the dark horse (the playfield art would have to be a big leap from RZ's in order for me to bite).

#31 6 years ago

It matters. pins tell a story.

A friend asks you to go to a concert, you're probably interested in the type of music you're gonna listen to.

Many might look at their collection and say "I've got a sci-fi theme going" or "I got a rock n roll theme" etc

Themes matter to many.

#32 6 years ago

It matters a lot when buying NIB (especially at today's prices...).
    It matters less when buying older games at bargain prices.

I love my WPT, paid less than $2k for it. Poker does nothing to me, and BG artwork is... hum... how to say it gently?
    And yet I love it.

But no way I would have bought that game NIB...

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

With the Alice Cooper Pinball being announced by Spooky

Yes Theme does matter, I don't care how Alice Cooper plays or Rob Zombie because I have zero interest in those themes. Strong pass. Houdini on the other hand looks flippin awesome and has a great theme that I like.

#34 6 years ago

If the Theme is Game of Thrones, than yes ... and ... yes ... and ... yes

#35 6 years ago

I don't like Shrek, and really like Family Guy. Same game, different theme.

#36 6 years ago

Absolutely matters to me. With the prices of NIB pins, it has to be a theme I want in addition to having features, game play, art, etc. that, to me, are worth the price.

The whole package matters.

(That's what she said....)

#37 6 years ago

Yes, see also # of P3 thread pinside posts during TPF. Single game with 8 themes people don't get or understand.

#38 6 years ago

I'll play any theme. I won't own any theme though.

#39 6 years ago

See the shitshow that occurred here when Stern announced the WRESTLEMANIA pin. That gives you the answer you need to know about whether a theme matters.

#40 6 years ago

Really depends on what floats your boat in this collecting world.

For me, the answer is absolutely no. I look at my favorite games that I love to "play" in my collection (Johnny, WOZ, Taxi, RS) and the themes are very *meh* in my eyes.

I owned and loved IM for a long time... honestly, that theme does nothing for me.

I like the game aspect of my pins... theme is really neither here nor there.

#41 6 years ago

These days, theme is what generates the initial interest.

Sad as I am to admit it, the era of the unlicensed theme is over. There might be a couple that generate some limited interest but no one is going to sell 5,000 units of an unlicensed theme. I wish it wasn't true but it's not 1995 anymore.

#42 6 years ago

Yes... That said, there is one game that I can look last the horrible theme: woz.

#43 6 years ago

Theme matters. More than one would expect. If you don't think it matters, ask yourself how likely it will be for Stern (or anyone) to make a Celine Dion, Rod Stewart or Barry Manilow pin any time in the future?
    Of course theme matters.

#44 6 years ago

It does matter. It matters a lot - particularly if I really like something or really dislike something. If I really love a theme it makes the game just that much better and something I want to own. ACDC, WPT, STLE, AFM all fall into that category. If I hate a theme it makes it hard to even imagine owning the game. KISS, FG and DI fall into that category.

#45 6 years ago

As I posted earlier, theme matters - a lot. An imaginative original theme is a great thing. Jack took some grief when Dialed In was unveiled in Chicago, but the game has built a steady following since then. That is the risk you take with an original theme; you don't get an immediate fan base following. But it can be successful as has been proven before. I have about two hours of play time in on Dialed In and I believe it is about to become one of those successes.

#46 6 years ago

Of course theme matters - kind of a ridiculous question.

Here are some examples of poor pinball themes:
    - Barney! (the dinosour)
    - Thomas the Train
    - The Golden Girls
    - Maude
    - Full House
    - Bay City Rollers
    - Microsoft

#47 6 years ago

I would respectfully submit my opinion that theme is very important. I post this before, in another thread. Most games (unless they live on site or in an arcade) spend 90+% of their lives just sitting there. Like furniture......or artwork hanging on the wall. In the big picture, I "look" at my games much more than I actually get to play them. While walking thru thru the game room or sitting and watching TV. I want nice artwork for the visual experience.

I have to like the theme as reflected in the artwork. My point is this.....you could have a pin with the best game play ever (which of course means something different to everyone, anyway) but if it was Barney the Purple dinosaur or Strawberry Shortcake on the back glass I would never want own one. The good news ia there is lots of choices for lots of taste. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Mike

#48 6 years ago

Theme to me is...somewhat what brings me in...meaning if I like the theme I'm going to be initially interested in checking it out BUT theme makes NO difference to me if I don't like the way the game plays...ex. I like (d) NASCAR but the game not so much...or the theme Lord of the Rings game not so much, TAF liked the shows can't stand the game...Other example SM could care less about the shows or the movies (I can't get past the 5 minute mark without turning them off) but I love my SM pin and it isn't going to be leaving anytime soon. Then there is the other ex. CSI loved the theme and like the game...Metallica I can take or leave (have grown to like them better since getting the pin), but the game rocks! (and Hubby will prolly be buried in it!)
    So yeah Theme plays a roll, but it is not the deciding factor for me. If I like the game play then theme is secondary...(Unless of course it's Bad Cats!! LOL!! )

Phoebe

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanaPinResto:

I'll play any theme. I won't own any theme though.

+1

#50 6 years ago

I equate pinball to women. You can see one that is totally gorgeous and than you start talking to her and you want to run away as quick as possible (good theme bad game).
    You could see another one that is alright but then you get to talking she becomes more beautiful as you talk.

Finally the goal is to find the whole package.

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-theme-really-matter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.