(Topic ID: 200047)

Does the Bally/Williams trough shim work?

By CUJO

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Hershy
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F119B8FB-54D4-4612-94B4-1C58539E432F (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

Getting occasional Trough Switch #52 error 2nd on Popeye.
My hunch is the trough may have divots keeping the balls from rolling downhill. Plus magnetism...
I removed all 6 balls and dropped them in with Switch Test active and all the trough positions lit up correctly.
Then the switch error went away...so is my assumption correct? I need this shim?
And for those that have used it, how did it fair?
Thanks in advance!

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-16809

#2 6 years ago

I’ve had positive results

#3 6 years ago

Works good

#4 6 years ago

Cheaper than a new trough! Yeah it works...

#5 6 years ago

Are you sure your balls are not magnetized?

#6 6 years ago

works great !

#7 6 years ago

I was having an issue with divots in my Demo Man trough. Slapped one of those in, and it fixed it instantly. Highly recommended.

#8 6 years ago

The one I have in my shadow works great but for some reason it keeps getting pushed out, I find it in the bottom of the cabinet constantly

#9 6 years ago

Works fine in all my games.

#10 6 years ago

Didn't work in my STTNG. Ball was getting hung up on the outside edge of the trough somehow. Swapped the trough out for another and problem solved.

I've also had trouble getting the shim to stay in the trough.

But most people seem to have better luck with it, so worth a shot as they are not expensive.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

may have divots

May have ? Have you looked ?

If so. Remove the ball trough. Remove the opto boards. Remove the end. Stick a flat bastard mill file in that end and file each side of the "V" grove smooth. 5 to 10 minutes.

Clean everything. Reassemble.

LTG : )

#12 6 years ago

The sleeve works great and yes it can back out with use, that is why I use double stick tape on 3 points when installing and you will never have a problem.

1 week later
#13 6 years ago

Does any body know if someone still makes the metal shim? The plastic ones say they are for IJ and later games.

Otherwise, has anyone tried to use the PETG one in Addams?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Otherwise, has anyone tried to use the PETG one in Addams?

Different trough design. Won't work on Addams.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Different trough design. Won't work on Addams.

Thanks Lloyd. I didn't realize they still used the older design on early WPC. I was thinking the new trough was introduced when the went WPC. I was wrong . Been too long since I have been inside some of these games.

#16 6 years ago

Still haven't gotten the shim yet but will soon. Someone is supposed to bring me 2 to a local pinball parts shop that just opened a few miles from me.

The balls might be a little magnetic in there but I'm curious if plastic shim makes the ball trough a little quieter since it's not metal on metal anymore.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

May have ? Have you looked ?
If so. Remove the ball trough. Remove the opto boards. Remove the end. Stick a flat bastard mill file in that end and file each side of the "V" grove smooth. 5 to 10 minutes.
Clean everything. Reassemble.

I did this to my ST:TNG when I got it years ago. Took care of the issue but looking for the lazy way out this time.

1 year later
#18 5 years ago

Does anyone know if the shim will work in JJP games? I would like to use one in Dialed In in order to use Ninja Chrome balls.

#19 5 years ago

It fits JJP. Same exact trough as WPC 95 games. It won’t solve ultra magnetized ball issues, though. They’ll stick to each other and jam anyway. I have had this exact experience.

2 years later
#20 2 years ago

Renew this Topic! Ok, I guess I need a couple of these. Balls have no Magnetism. Balls sticking in the trough. The Shadow and Johnny Mnemonic.

#21 2 years ago

I need to order some of these . Who has stock currently. Thanks!

#22 2 years ago

Yes it works. I miss the old metal ones but these plastic ones work too, just use a little double sided tape to secure it. I just installed one in a scared stiff that was having multiball issues and the problem disappeared instantly.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-16809

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I need to order some of these . Who has stock currently.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-16809

#24 2 years ago

The metal shim did not work on my IJ. The balls would hang up because they were rubbing on the bottom of the playfield. I could of added washers to the screws holding the trough, but I decided to file the divots out. Problem solved.

#25 2 years ago

You can see the ball not wanting to drop. Shit. I just checked again. Yes, they are slightly magnetized….

F119B8FB-54D4-4612-94B4-1C58539E432F (resized).jpegF119B8FB-54D4-4612-94B4-1C58539E432F (resized).jpeg
#26 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I need to order some of these . Who has stock currently. Thanks!

If you know someone, oh have a 3d printer. A file is on thingiverse.

#27 2 years ago

Ahh… got a link?

Quoted from erak:

If you know someone, oh have a 3d printer. A file is on thingiverse.

#29 2 years ago

The plastic shims are often out of stock. A few months ago when they were back in stock, I ordered them for my STTNG, IJ, MMrSE and NGG. One went in easily. The others required a lot of trimming in order to fit within the ball trough and I ended up just removing it from my IJ since it created issues with the optos sensing the balls. Still think they are helpful, but was a lot more work than I planned.

#30 2 years ago

10 minutes with a dremel and a grinding attachment is all it takes to fix the problem. No shims needed.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

10 minutes with a dremel and a grinding attachment is all it takes to fix the problem. No shims needed.

4 seconds with a shim works too, and the issue will never come back.

Hey, some of us are just lazier than others. And after all these years I still don't have a dremel. And the shim will ALWAYS work better (faster) anyway than the original, flawed design.

1 year later
#32 1 year ago

Thank you for this. Still relevant and helpful. Worked on mine just now

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-the-ballywilliams-trough-shim-work?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.