4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by underlord
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

25F74D87-C407-48AD-8A82-62124124082E (resized).jpeg

#1 4 months ago

Ok, Let me try to explain and see what is going on. I bought a show machine at MGC earlier this year. An Iron Maiden. The machine was then taken straight to a location in St Louis, I pulled the machine and just sold it. The buyer just sent me a text asking what happened to the bottom of the machine. I have no clue what he is talking about, so he explains the bondo on the bottom. I still have no clue, so he sends me a picture. Its clear that there is some bondo underneath like a repair was done on the cabinet. Is this something that Stern has done before? As I personally know the entire history of the game, so I know that the repair was not done from the time that I have had it. But I honestly never look underneath a game either to know if I have had something like this before
    25F74D87-C407-48AD-8A82-62124124082E (resized).jpeg

I hope that I hear that this is something that has happened before, as im baffled by it and I do all I can to try to describe machines, but now do I need to start looking at the bottom of stern games, is this going to be the new "shooter rod" pic request. And the buyer is a straight up honest guy, so I know that this has to be on the game he picked up from me, I would not question his intregity

#2 4 months ago

Wow. I've never hear of that before, but I wouldn't put it past stern.

#3 4 months ago

Aren’t the cabs outsourced?

Obviously someone in qc f’d up somewhere. Couldn’t put a new $5 sheet of wood in a game 6-9 grand. Real nice. They prob caught it during final checks and didn’t want to fail a complete game for that so they “fixed” it.

#4 4 months ago

Too lazy to search for it but I remember reading here about when the first imdn games where available and set up at a show someone was also talking about bondo and repaired cabs..
    So looks like they came from stern that way.

#5 4 months ago

WTH? Bar set even lower? Again, WTH????

#6 4 months ago

I remember a few posts about bottoms getting bondo around the time the corners were falling apart. Also legs getting drilled in the wrong spot and getting filled.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-metallica-damaged

#7 4 months ago

My neighbor with a GB has some of this on the bottom of his cabinet.

After adding the support braces to his machine I noticed it, but didn’t have the heart to bring up the bondo.

#8 4 months ago
    Quoted from vidgameseller:

Ok, Let me try to explain and see what is going on. I bought a show machine at MGC earlier this year. An Iron Maiden. The machine was then taken straight to a location in St Louis, I pulled the machine and just sold it. The buyer just sent me a text asking what happened to the bottom of the machine. I have no clue what he is talking about, so he explains the bondo on the bottom. I still have no clue, so he sends me a picture. Its clear that there is some bondo underneath like a repair was done on the cabinet. Is this something that Stern has done before? As I personally know the entire history of the game, so I know that the repair was not done from the time that I have had it. But I honestly never look underneath a game either to know if I have had something like this before
    [quoted image]
    I hope that I hear that this is something that has happened before, as im baffled by it and I do all I can to try to describe machines, but now do I need to start looking at the bottom of stern games, is this going to be the new "shooter rod" pic request. And the buyer is a straight up honest guy, so I know that this has to be on the game he picked up from me, I would not question his intregity

Sadly, yes... stern has and does send out brand new games in this condition. The first maiden i opened up at MGC was like that. They gave me a different one and took it back.

I saw at least three others at the opening party in similar condition.

#9 4 months ago

Can you see it from inside the cab or just from looking underneath?
    If you can only see it from looking under the cab then I dont think its an issue...if you can see it when you lift the playfield then it is unacceptable

#10 4 months ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Can you see it from inside the cab or just from looking underneath?
    If you can only see it from looking under the cab then I dont think its an issue...if you can see it when you lift the playfield then it is unacceptable

Usually I would agree, but hidden damage on purpose? Gut punch man. I would feel betrayed if I paid nib pricing.

#11 4 months ago

A neighbor of mine gad the same bondo on his IMDN pro, they sent him a new cabinet

#12 4 months ago

That's really disappointing at the minimum it should have been marked as "repaired " and a discount offered.

#13 4 months ago

Yes. Even have a dedicated section of the line for it.

47:26 mark if the video doesn't start there.

#14 4 months ago

Looks like they set aside a special “batch” for MGC show games. $1000 off retail price come get it!

I do remember these being rushed out the factory door to make it to the show in time. Didn’t they have 30 there right at launch?

#15 4 months ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Looks like they set aside a special “batch” for MGC show games. $1000 off retail price come get it!
    I do remember these being rushed out the factory door to make it to the show in time. Didn’t they have 30 there right at launch?

Well if that’s the case, I’ll admit my mistake. I apologize to Stern Pinball Inc.

#16 4 months ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Well if that’s the case, I’ll admit my mistake. I apologize to Stern Pinball Inc.

I wouldn’t apologize. Even show games should come without this. The discount is for getting played for 3 days at a show. If Stern was contacted early by the original owner I bet the cabinet would be replaced. Even now they may do it.

Eric

#17 4 months ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

I wouldn’t apologize. Even show games should come without this. The discount is for getting played for 3 days at a show. If Stern was contacted early by the original owner I bet the cabinet would be replaced. Even now they may do it.
    Eric

If the discount was supplied, the Stern attempt was made. My hostility was charge retail for a damaged piece.

Now it’s between the buyer and the Distro.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 249.00
    $ 110.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Pin Mods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    $ 12,500.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside