(Topic ID: 145840)

Does Stern care more about Operators or Collectors?

By fattdirk

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which customers does Stern care more about?”

• Operators 41 votes
      35%
    • Collectors 8 votes
      7%
    • Neither - It's all about the benjamins!! 68 votes
      58%

(117 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 4 years ago

Does Stern care more about operators or collectors?
    I'm just curious what people think.
    I personally think they care more about operators than collectors. This is obvious in the release of games with shallow uncompleted code upon launch. I would think that most operators don't care because a casual player wouldn't notice if there were missing features like no wizard mode, if any inserts don't work or flashers etc. They also seem to have code releases that don't add any game features and are just fixes for things that operators care about like adding ticket mechanisms.

What do you think?

#2 4 years ago

All about operators however the home collector buying LE's fronts all the profit for them.

#3 4 years ago

Collectors represent a bigger profit margin for them (LE's and Premiums) but operators represent a much larger percentage of their overall sales and total profit........so operators.

#5 4 years ago

Operators. Sales without all of the bulls#!t.

#6 4 years ago

Gary Stern probably cares most about profit, which likely means operators.

I expect the designers care more about collectors and players.

#7 4 years ago

They care about selling pins, that's why they market 3 models. This is there attempt to match each title to fit
    the financial ability of the buyers.

#8 4 years ago

They want to put machines in front of the most people that they can in order to grow the hobby for the future. So that means operators.

#9 4 years ago

Show me the money.

They care about paying customers!

#10 4 years ago

If it ever becomes all about the money, pinball will be gone forever. Pinball is a passion and while we are lucky enough to have passionate people designing and selling pinball machines, enjoy pinball as much as you can. I feel that some of the best pinball machines ever have come out in the last few years. I think that Stern are doing their best to cater for everyone. I say well done Stern and thankyou for keeping pinball alive!

#11 4 years ago

I wanted an option for BOTH. To say a company making pinball machines is only in it for a profit is inane. This would be the LAST business a profiteer would enter. It's a passion driven industry through and through. To make money after your passion is poured into a game is what separates Stern from the pack.

#12 4 years ago

They care about keeping the line running, making pins.
    Gary has said this repeatedly.

#13 4 years ago

Both, that is why they make LEs, premiums and pro models.

#14 4 years ago

When they quit putting a mechanism to receive funds on them you will have a rhetorical question.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Show me the money.
    They care about paying customers!

Oh this is about to be soon true! That's all I'll say about that!!!

#16 4 years ago

It's very obviously both.

The depth of the code (eventually) on modern Sterns is incredible. They're doing that mostly for the home market.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

It's very obviously both.

This^^... 80% of Stern's U.S. sales go to collectors while overseas it's more like 98% operators.

#18 4 years ago

As long as games leave the factory I don't think it really matters

My .02 cents

#19 4 years ago

It's important to keep all your customers happy and spending money, but just as important to take care of those that work for you.

#20 4 years ago

I think the person I buy from has a route plus does home sales. I think some of the other re-sellers are similar, which makes op vs. home sales hard to track. I cannot remember the last time I saw a new game on location.

#21 4 years ago

Hmm if Sterns prices keep on rising, I think it will end Pinball for them full stop.

P.s they care more for Operators

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Banker:

They care about selling pins, that's why they market 3 models. This is there attempt to match each title to fit
    the financial ability of the buyers.

This would be my view if I owned the business.

Different models to fit different market segments.

#23 4 years ago

Stern will continue to say "It's not you". But I'm starting to suspect it is us. Overseas sales have to have taken a massive hit due to currency fluctuations. Operating a new Stern game overseas (or any American game) became a lot more expensive just from the exchange rate.

Overall it is about making money in an industry they are passionate about. They can't just stop and make widgets, because they do have a market. And they are profitable, obviously. You don't upsize your headquarters and factory unless it is profitable. The moving costs are too high.

#24 4 years ago

The answer is absolutely operators for Gary himself. I can offer evidence. We were at MGC last spring and a good friend of mine and I stopped Gary in the hall to tell him how much we enjoyed some of the recent games and my buddy made mention of the fact that he had probably purchased $70,000 plus of Stern games over the years. All Gary had to say was "OK, but make sure you get out and play games on location to support the operators" not so much as an acknowledgment that he had invested that much money in Gary's company or his games.

For those of you who are answering that it's all about the Benjamin's, you are correct as far as Stern the company goes. But it was George Gomez who drove the creation of premiums and LE's. Gary had nothing to do with it. Gary is not, and reportedly never has been a big fan of the home market.

#25 4 years ago

Can we all agree that location play generates more sales to the collector market, moreso than the other way around?

#26 4 years ago

Neither? That's my guess.

#27 4 years ago

If they didn't care more about what operators need/want, they'd be out of business long ago.

#28 4 years ago

I'm not sure why this has to be either/or. It seems to me they are trying to address both markets. On the one hand, they always use recognizable licenses, which helps operators more than collectors. On the other hand, they build in deep rules that are not realistically explored on location, and thus help collectors more than operators.

#29 4 years ago

They care most about Orphans, followed by war widows.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 14,900.00
    Pinball Machine
    www.retroarcade.se
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 224.99
    $ 5.00
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 400.00
    Playfields
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 131.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 4,199.00
    $ 9.95
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside