(Topic ID: 7048)

Does Stern Actually Make a Quality Pinball Machine...??

By Wizman

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CCary
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1644912319_ca8ffcfb7a.jpg
    highfive.jpeg
    sunburn2.jpg
    wizman.jpg
    Chewy.jpg
    beating_a_dead_horse_by_potatoehuman-d.jpg
    Please-Stop-It.jpg
    deadhorse.jpg
    There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

What I mean by that , is DO they make a great FEELING, Heavy weight pinball machine..? I know this topic has probably been beat to death, But please list any stern machine you think compares to a Bally/Williams.., please, your best bet is to include a widebody machine...Simpson's Party is a dud, so if that is their best, please..., Ive played so many of their macines, that this is probably a useless post, sorry....

#2 12 years ago

Any Stearns with a plastic Lockbar does not qualify, sorry.....

#3 12 years ago

the pic says it all.

deadhorse.jpgdeadhorse.jpg

#4 12 years ago

ROFLMAO.....That's what I thought...

#5 12 years ago

Sterns designs don't have the solid feel of B/W games.

The main "feel" of a game is the flippers, and they all use the same flipper design. So the question, as asked, can have only one answer.

That said, they've upped their game recently, and Tron and Iron Man have gotten generally good reviews, in terms of gameplay. Of course, they don't have the build quality of B/W games, but they're at least nailing the gameplay aspect, and the machines aren't terrible to maintain or anything (B/W games weren't always models of reliability either *cough*TZ*cough*)

And TSPP is not Stern's best. It might have been until 2010. Iron Man and Tron changed that. Iron Man is brutal, fast, and intense (give it a few games, as it's really frustrating before you learn how to handle magnet), while Tron is more of a flow game. I go to an arcade with those and a perfectly restored SS and TAF, and I play Tron/IM more.

#6 12 years ago

My SM feels every bit as solid and has less hassles than my TOTAN ever did. I really get tired of hearing all the haters myself. Don't like em don't play or buy em. But the fact remains they have made some first class pins and continued to make pins when the beloved Bally/Williams and ALL other manufactures stopped.

#7 12 years ago

yes. It's called Tron LE.

And I'm a huge BW fan. Tron (LE) is the best pin I've ever played, period.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from Wizman:

Simpson's Party is a dud

Seriously, that's one of Stern's best machines they made along with LOTR and SM. Give them credit, they're the only company that already has built pinball machines.

#9 12 years ago

I think we've beat this Seal to death.

Arf, arf.

THWAACK!

#10 12 years ago

The short answer generally is the build quality,feel and look of the modern stern machines are not of the higher standard that were Williams/Bally whether it be art,parts or construction of machine.

However this predominately cost saving exercise has not stopped Stern making some truly awesome machines the you could be proud of in any collection...i for one would be most happy to own a Spiderman or LOTR one day

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

My SM feels every bit as solid and has less hassles than my TOTAN ever did. I really get tired of hearing all the haters myself. Don't like em don't play or buy em. But the fact remains they have made some first class pins and continued to make pins when the beloved Bally/Williams and ALL other manufactures stopped.

Amen Dude!

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from Wizman:

What I mean by that , is DO they make a great FEELING, Heavy weight pinball machine..? I know this topic has probably been beat to death, But please list any stern machine you think compares to a Bally/Williams.., please, your best bet is to include a widebody machine...Simpson's Party is a dud, so if that is their best, please..., Ive played so many of their macines, that this is probably a useless post, sorry....

Stern hasnt made a Widebody since their Data East days. They have come out with some really fantastic games but more duds then hits.

When properly maintained they play fine but no they cant compete with the quality of the old B/W's.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from dangermouse007:

However this predominately cost saving exercise has not stopped Stern making some truly awesome machines the you could be proud of in any collection...i

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

+1 on the above. I guess some people are going to get awfully bored waiting for WOZ, unless they are happy to play the same games for the next 10 years.
    You asked for a list. Well I don't operate them I just play them so am looking at the fun factor. My "heavy weight" list consists a bunch of improving games around 2003/4 with TSPP, T3, LOTR, RBION, Elvis and more recently Batman, FG and Shrek, CSI, IM, Superman and Tron. I haven't heard of Major problems with those games other than CSI's software upon release.

Remember Stern almost went under in late 2008/9. I just wish they would make more titles and machines.

Please keep kicking them to keep the prices nice and low for me

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Stern hasnt made a Widebody since their Data East days. They have come out with some really fantastic games but more duds then hits.

Just for interest what was the last Bally Williams wide game? DM or Popeye in 94? It must have been from around the same time as the DE games.

#15 12 years ago

Beating the horse....nice one 1.

I think the newer pins have a good feel. The biggest compliants you here now is usually the canned artwork.

#16 12 years ago

A: I love my classic B/W games that I have owned.
    B: I currently have a Congo that has been my fav pin in my line up ever since I got it.
    C: Congo feels like a toy by LOTR.

I don't know about longevity of quality because I have only owned a Stern for 12 hours but I sure love all of the gadgets, lights and theme of mine.

I really HATE the LOTR menu screen though. I hope it is because I haven't worked on anything but Williams games but I can't even find half of the things I am trying to check/adjust...

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

the pic says it all.

THAT

was funny.

#18 12 years ago

This guys trying to stir the pot, nothing less.

TSPP a dud? W O W. Only the deepest, most complicated, made for players game - ever. I'm sorry your skill level doesn't yet allow you to see that.

I favour b/w for sure "all in all", but DE/Sega/Stern in the DMD era has been amazing.

I wish everyone would just appreciate that there is diversity left, and that you are able to have a selection still, regardless of what brand/era you like.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I really HATE the LOTR menu screen though.

I felt the same it's just a case of getting used to it. Really simple once you get used to the interface. The Gottlieb interface is still a mystery to me, you always need the manual for that one.

#20 12 years ago

LOTR and SM I think are the most overall solid games, and by solid I mean best rules, music, fun factor etc. not if it has plastic or metal aprons.

#21 12 years ago

OP, try RGP. You'll get more drama over there.

#22 12 years ago

*Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh....*

Please-Stop-It.jpgPlease-Stop-It.jpg

And one for Mr. Binks...

beating_a_dead_horse_by_potatoehuman-d.jpgbeating_a_dead_horse_by_potatoehuman-d.jpg

#23 12 years ago

I like the feel of the wrinkle black lockbar/ rails on the new sterns. I just played black knight and liked that. BBH wasnt bad but I only played 1 game.

#24 12 years ago

Speaking of Lego Stormtroopers ...

Chewy.jpgChewy.jpg

#25 12 years ago

Yes - they are quality. Do this - search archives - how many Stern issue posts do you see? I dont see many.

Sure a few LE related instances, but overall very solid machines and just as fun as B/W.

I am a Stern convert by the way - i just like to have fun.

#26 12 years ago

Don't people ever get sick of trolling? Don't they LIKE pinball? It seems to me if you loved pinball that you'd hope for the best from any company.

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

yes. It's called Tron LE.
    And I'm a huge BW fan. Tron (LE) is the best pin I've ever played, period.

+1 solidness of that pin.

The first thing i remember saying/thinking is that machine felt EXACTLY like a williams machine. Very well built.

3 months later
    #28 12 years ago

How does one become a retired pinsider?

#30 12 years ago

Sweet! Another resurrected Wizman thread. He will never be forgotten!

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I know. That's two in a matter of days.

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I know. That's two in a matter of days.

Something about seeing these threads again, makes me nostalgic for the Wizman days. Probably looking at the past through rose-colored glasses, but it makes me laugh nonetheless.

#33 12 years ago

I miss him, too. I thought I would post his picture to enhance the memories...

wizman.jpgwizman.jpg

#34 12 years ago

BBH is pure quality.

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

makes me nostalgic for the Wizman days

me too. ha i wonder what he is doing right now.

#36 12 years ago

me too. ha i wonder what he is doing right now.

Enjoying a well deserved tropical vacation after mastering the pinball universe...

sunburn2.jpgsunburn2.jpg

#37 12 years ago

He looks WAY different without his beard..

#39 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

He looks WAY different without his beard..

I think the heat got to him.

#40 12 years ago

I wonder if he's lurking...

#41 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I would almost guarantee it.

#42 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

If so, I hope he starts posting again. Always a good time!

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from emo:

smassa said:Stern hasnt made a Widebody since their Data East days. They have come out with some really fantastic games but more duds then hits.
    Just for interest what was the last Bally Williams wide game? DM or Popeye in 94? It must have been from around the same time as the DE games.

Think it was ROADSHOW.

#44 12 years ago

I don't know that quality equates with feel, but understand the comment. My Shadow has a very different feel to its flippers than other B/W games I do or have owned. Never have been able to figure out why.

Although there have been a few issues with the Stern games I own, each "A" list B/W table has had its own need for attention.

TSPP- ball hangups in the garage, had to widen the space between the ramp protectors;
    LOTR- change center ramp post; better orient the center ramp for ring shots; increase balrog switch sensitivity; increase the diameter of the post behind the orthanc tower to deflect all orbit shots; fix the palantir light; install cooling fans for flipper coils;

TZ- rebuild clock boards; tweak carriage on path to powerfield to retain ball without use of magnet; slot machine target reinforcement;
    TS- adjust both drop targets for proper operation;
    CV- tweak high wire ramp switches for proper operation; tweak top of boom balloon to lie properly with playfield cutout; install additional plastics for protection of skill shot plastic and for first juggler saucer to retain the ball;
    WH2O- still cannot get the no way out VUK to fire with greater reliability.

Overall, each game seems to have its design flaws that need to be addressed. For me, that is part of the fun, but a necessary evil. It also depends on how picky you are. I am pretty anal about how my games function.

So, not a big difference to me in terms of reliability, and that is where I think quality lies. Different feel for sure.

I have had no chance to play any of Stern's newer games as there are next to none on route in Northern Virginia unfortunately.

#45 12 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

If so, I hope he starts posting again.

I am sure he is still on here, just posting away...

#46 12 years ago

Stern games typically take a lil longer to warm up to, but I thoroughly enjoy many of their games.

The problem with Stern is that you are comparing 15 machines to a lot more B/W machines that have sentimental value already in place.

That and the fact that a Stern will cost you from $2500 - $7000 for a machine, whereas a "classic" B/W game can be had for $1200- 3000.

#47 12 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

So, Wizman was Pinside's answer to maybe John Shields on RGP?

How do his old posts get resurrected and how can a thread be initiated under a closed account?

And what about Naomi?

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

So, Wizman was Pinside's answer to maybe John Shields on RGP?

Maybe they're the same person!

Quoted from MrWizzo:

How do his old posts get resurrected and how can a thread be initiated under a closed account?

Anybody can post to an old topic. This particular thread was started three months ago... It wasn't initiated under a closed account. Wizman was a member who started many inflammatory threads such as this before making his way into the great Interweb Beyond never to be heard from again.

#49 12 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

WH2O- still cannot get the no way out VUK to fire with greater reliability

Danj,My No Way Out missfire WAS FIXED when I replaced the broken ball cup at that location.
    Is yours OK/Not broken-mine was all effed up,was a hassle to change but fixed mine-Good Luck
    Also you should at least Remove and Replace the coil sleeve.
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=473&parent=0

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-stern-actually-make-a-quality-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.