(Topic ID: 264878)

Does playing pinball improve your reaction time?

By dr_nybble

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by tadowhere
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

You can measure your reaction time here: https://www.justpark.com/creative/reaction-time-test/

A bunch of people at my work tried it, I was the fastest at 50 years old in the 240ms ballpark consistently. How do you score?

Reaction time is a lot slower than I would have thought! I read that our auditory reactions are about 30ms faster than visual ones due to the simpler processing pipeline. A pinball travels about 4"-5" in a quarter of a second if it is going 1 mph.

#2 4 years ago

OK, I tried it, I'm 54, in the 370-80ms range (that of an early 20's). Maybe playing pinball does help

#3 4 years ago

I averaged about 34 year old. I'm 56. So maybe pinball does help. But this explains why 20+ year old pin heads can kick my ass.

#4 4 years ago

OK,I'm 69,and have the reaction of a 31 yr old at 400 milliseconds ! So does pinball work for you??

#5 4 years ago

One thing this reaction time shows me is that a lot of pinball is based on projecting where the ball will be in 250-350ms since we can’t react instantly -- or not as instantly as I would have thought.

#6 4 years ago

It says I'm not human.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

It says I'm not human.

You were too fast

#8 4 years ago

Definitely. It can piss me off quicker than just about anything else.

LTG : )

#9 4 years ago

That test seems to depend on return time to its server. From an iPad on my home network after a few tries I continually got below 240 ms, age 23, the lowest it will go. I later tried from my work computer at a real keyboard, but using a VPN that is clearly loaded down with lots of people. I could never get below 550 ms, age mid 50's. The test is not designed to be a measure of anything but maybe ping time on your network.

#10 4 years ago

The more times i tried the better i got . Cool but ping time yes.

#11 4 years ago

mid 60's I got..we're not sure if you're an actual human being with reaction time of (282) milliseconds.

kinda fun (probably cause it made me feel good).

#12 4 years ago

57 with 283 milliseconds.

#13 4 years ago

Yes, but also improves my drinking time, which reduces my reaction time.

#14 4 years ago

Maybe a little. I just assumed we got better at predicting what the ball was gonna do based on experience with the game.

#15 4 years ago

it said "i'm 40" i'm a man! lol

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-playing-pinball-improve-your-reaction-time?hl=gs2019 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.