(Topic ID: 187614)

Does Playing Competitive pinball take "some" fun out of Pinball ?

By golfingdad1

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider golfingdad1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I have played competitive pinball leagues for about 3 years now. I have been playing pinball since I was in third grade , so let's say 1977ish and an owner for the first time about 4 years now . I LOVE playing pinball . I love the machines , the art, the sounds , the lights the skill it takes to actually understand and master the game . I love the social aspect of getting together , talking pins, what's new , who's getting what and having a few beers along the way . Love It ! But ....
    Almost every time I go play competitively , tournaments , league etc , I always seem to say why am I doing this ? Even if I play well or make the "finals" . I get angry with myself for missing the shot or whatever it happens to be,
    It just becomes different for some reason and I'm not sure I like it .

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Axl:

After a while, the whole IFPA
    thing took over, and people started taking it very seriously. I did as well, and I got angry on myself when I lost, and
    hoping that my friends would have a bad ball so I would win. Stuff like that...

Very good points, when I compete I take it seriously and when I choke I get mad at myself and hope my competition does worse. Why ? I don't know . It's just for fun right ?

#15 6 years ago

I must admit that house balls seem to show up a lot more often when the game counts.

#28 6 years ago

Unfortunately I am sometimes. Very similar .
    When i am playing golf with people i know and and just playing to play I love it, but as soon as it means something my demeanor completely changes.
    Pressure does funny things to people.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Notice nowhere in there, IMO is money a factor.

My number one rule when it comes to golf and probably applies to pins as well.
    No quicker way to loose friends than a friendly wager .

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider golfingdad1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-playing-competitive-pinball-take-the-fun-out-of-pinball?tu=golfingdad1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.