(Topic ID: 229008)

Does Pinball Reduce IQ’s or just make you do stupid things?

By Bublehead

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IQ (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Ok, going to get a ton of hate for that title, but the question is, does our lust for the silver ball reduce our ability to make rational, informed decisions when it comes to buying, owning, fixing, selling, and playing pinball?

What was the last “less than optimal” or in a layman's term “shitty” decision you made in the hobby? And dont say replying to this thread, because that is just too much low hanging fruit.

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

does our lust for the silver ball reduce our ability to make rational, informed decisions when it comes to buying, owning, fixing, selling, and playing pinball?

I think the lust for a lot of things reduces a person's common sense.

If anything it has added to my smarts because I've had to relearn a lot of that electricity stuff I forgot from Physics Class.

#3 5 years ago

I think it only becomes stupid if all those machines were bought when you can't afford them.

For me, it helped me learn more about schematics and electronic parts I guess.

#4 5 years ago

Pinball tech support greatly reduces your IQ.

LTG : )

#5 5 years ago

I think if you renamed the title of this thread to something like you already mentioned "what's the shittiest decision you've made in this hobby", it would get a better response but I could be wrong. I know because I've made a ton of bad decisions in this hobby. So for that reason, I'll pass on responding because the title of this thread blows! Blammo!!

#6 5 years ago

I’ve definitely made some knee jerk decisions, either paying too much, or not looking for certain things, or trying to cut a corner during a repair, but I see everything as a learning experience, and while I’m not always successful, I at least try to not make those same mistakes again.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Does Pinball Reduce IQ’s?

No, but being on Pinside does.

#8 5 years ago

I think I got a lot smarter by not driving to Atlanta for a $500 rough condition EM. Going to Free Play Florida instead. Should be fun.

#9 5 years ago

My wife said yes.

#10 5 years ago

Everyone has at least one hobby they spend too damn much $$$ on.

#11 5 years ago

I find that ones intelligence quotient is directly proportionate to the imamaculate say the wrong rambring in heaves color nine.

#13 5 years ago

It was a really cute movie.

IQ (resized).jpgIQ (resized).jpg
    #14 5 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

This is so true. Everyone I know with financial means spends way more than they should (IMHO of course) on something. I have friends who eat out at sit down restaurants nearly every night, yet they think I'm crazy for buying pinball machines. In fact, all of my friends seem to spend excessively on something: one family always has the newest Big truck and latest model Mustang, another visits Disney at least once if not twice a month and is a member of their vacation club. Looking at my most immediate neighbors, one has a massive salt water aquarium and a garage full of gear to prepare its water. Another has special lifts in his garage to hold 4 cars and they're all Vipers and the like which he's constantly tinkering with in his free time. First world, middle class problems!

#15 5 years ago

I guess I should ask non pinheads the question since we pinheads seem to have a very common blind spot when it comes to rationality, reality, and pinball. There have been times that I was glad my wife was with me, otherwise my first pinball machine would have been Sourcerer instead of Pinbot. I just wanted ANY machine, but we had talked and had agreed, if no Pinbot at the auction, we wait. I was about to bid on Sourcerer when she elbowed me in the ribs. Got to love a wife who can wait 30 days for the next auction....

#16 5 years ago

Might just be the alcohol, not the pinball machine.

#17 5 years ago

I think they dumbest thing I did recently was working on my first EM after a few cocktails. You know what they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I really wanted the tilt to work though. Now I can't get the game to start, or the score reel to stop spinning if I credit it up.

I guess there is no better way to learn about an EM though. Glad I had already ordered the schematic.

#18 5 years ago

Using the top of my head as a prop rod for my T2 playfield before I fixed the grounding issue.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

was working on my first EM after a few cocktails

Have tried that, usually have to redo any soldering the next day.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Got to love a wife who can wait 30 days for the next auction....

...and who would actually go to two auctions within a month!

#21 5 years ago

We went all the time 30 years ago in the Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky tristate area. USA Auctions had an operators auction at the fairgrounds almost every month in Columbus, Indiana, and Ky. We would go to play free pinball and find bargains on project pins. My brother used to make some extra money turning basket cases into players machines. You would be amazed how far $125 bucks went back then. But he was picking up $75 machines and selling them for $200 to $300. Every so often pick up a DOA and part it out. But some real old farts on here might remember USA Auctions, “How much on ‘em, start ‘em in...” “I got $50!!!”

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

Not me, until pinball. That's been the hardest thing to get used to about having pinball as a hobby. Years ago I got an unexpected $10k bonus at work. I spent about $500 and then couldn't think of anything else I wanted to buy so I just put the rest in savings. If I got a $10k bonus today... I can think of a hundred ways to spend it, first one that comes to mind is a GB Pro and a really nice Centaur. In any case that bonus would be gone within 30 seconds.

#23 5 years ago

Deaf, Dumb and blind.....Thats whats happening to me now.....But I sure can Play a Mean Pinball!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-pinball-reduce-iqs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.