(Topic ID: 136523)

Does painting legs impact collector value?

By tafische

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by tafische
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I just picked up my first EM - Gottlieb Atlas (1959). It is in pretty good shape overall, but the legs look pretty ugly. I want to keep it as original as possible so will repainting the legs impact it from a collector perspective?

#2 8 years ago

If the legs are currently chrome, yes painted legs will hurt the value. Use a rust be gone type product, or polish. In some cases a new set of legs.

#3 8 years ago

You can buy a new set of legs for 60 bucks and change them in five minutes. So yeah...you have a potential to impact the collector value of your game by about 60 bucks. Pretty high stakes here.

#4 8 years ago

Paint Any Color you like to match color scheme of game. Then if and when you sell, get new 60 dollar legs, sell your painted legs on Ebay as custom MOD! Easy, won't hurt collector value. Pinball is not the stock market, don't buy pinball's for investment! Buy them because you like them, and want to play them, there no good sitting in corner of gameroom collecting dust.

#5 8 years ago

I refuse to buy any pin that has painted legs. Makes most games look stupid. If you're painting black legs black, thats fine, but don't go overboard and think that a simpsons with yellow rails and legs will be a good idea.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I refuse to buy any pin that has painted legs. Makes most games look stupid. If you're painting black legs black, thats fine, but don't go overboard and think that a Simpsons with yellow rails and legs will be a good idea.

A new set of legs costs 60 bucks.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A new set of legs costs 60 bucks.

Yeah, but they start to paint the lock down bar, side rails, and anything else they can powder coat.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

Yeah, but they start to paint the lock down bar, side rails, and anything else they can powder coat.

Sometimes it looks fantastic! Other times......not so much. Of course you always have the option to pass on such games.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I refuse to buy any pin that has painted legs.

Unless, of course, the original had painted legs?

Like my woodrail with red legs - factory.

#10 8 years ago

Not into it, but to each their own. As has been said - cheap to replace.

If you're not on the Evaporust bandwagon...look into it. It's simply amazing. I soak for 24 hrs and then wipe clean. I made a little box that I line with 6mm plastic. Then, buff/polish as desired. Works on lockdown bars/receivers, coin doors, etc. It can be reused many times over.

#11 8 years ago

No.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Pinball is not the stock market, don't buy pinball's for investment! Buy them because you like them, and want to play them

I wish people would stop saying this. It's so cliché

#13 8 years ago

Thanks for the comments. It has factory painted legs that are a cream color. Sounds like no real reason not to paint.....and I agree about the "not an investment" part but would also hate to do something stupid that dramatically hurt the originality/value either.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-painting-legs-impact-collector-value and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.