(Topic ID: 206143)

Does MMR and AFMR have staying power in a small collection?

By Who-Dey

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are Remakes as good as newer games like TWD, GOT, MET, AC/DC etc?”

• Yes they are great and never get old. 76 votes
    71%
  • No they get boring eventually and won't hold your interest like newer games with deeper rule sets. 31 votes
    29%

(107 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MMRLE (resized).jpg
MB High Score 17 (resized).jpg
100_0284 (resized).JPG
100_0364 (resized).JPG

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I never played these games.much back in the day but I'm somewhat interested in a MMR. My question is for those of you who have played these games alot, are they keepers and do they stay fun in a say 5-7 game collection or do they get repetitive and boring eventually due to a shallow code?

Does MMR stay fun like say TWD, GOT, AC/DC, MET, TRON etc or no?

#2 6 years ago

Pretty hard to get tired of Medieval Madness, remake or no. It's a classic for a reason.

#3 6 years ago

If you like both pins, you’ll definitely enjoy them. All games do get old eventually, especially in a small collection. I currently own an original MM and I’m looking to add an original AfM or AFMr.

#4 6 years ago

We’ve had Medieval Madness for around twelve years now - it was the second machine we bought and whilst many have come and gone since it’s still our favourite game. We also had an AFM but felt that it was too similar to MM which we much preferred. Both are great games, but MM does it for us!

Quoted from Who-Dey:

We’ve had AC/DC Premium and MET LE, neither stayed for more than a couple of years. We have TWD LE and Tron LE, but still have more fun with MM. Tron is a close second.

#5 6 years ago

Love, love, love my AFMr in my small collection of just (3) games. Still getting my #1 attention since Aug, though GoT with that new color DMD & chuckwurt's tutorials is calling me

AFMr
GoT
JP

AFMr is just plain fun!

#6 6 years ago

I've played the MMR some and I think I really like it alot but I don't know the rules inside and out either so I'm being cautious. It is a game that I am taking into consideration and I just don't want to make a mistake if I get it. I have a Jack Bot game and I really like it but it's also very shallow compared to my newer games and sometimes I don't have any desire to play it. Seems like MM has alot more to it than a game like Jack Bot does though.

#7 6 years ago

I'll just say this, I never needed to own a MM until I had one in my house on loan and it made me see why people spend the money on this game (which was probably 6k or so at the time). I had it for over a year and when the owner took it back I totally wanted one, but they were getting REALLY expensive by then (10k or more) and I wasn't doing that. When the remakes came along, and prices came back to earth a little, it was my chance and I went for it. I don't play MM every day but I enjoy it every time I do.

#8 6 years ago

Get it. MM or MMR that is forget AFM. MM has a lot more to offer IMO I had one for over a year and it would still be here under different circumstances. I never got to destroy all the castles or even see what happens when you complete everything. It has good flow, risky shots, and great call outs.

#9 6 years ago

Play ‘em both to make the right decision for you. They both are the pinnacle of great games.

I had MMR for a year. Then AFMR entered my life. I’m space limited, so one had to go. I don’t see AFM ever leaving.

MMR shoots like absolute butter and is the best playing game I’ve ever come across. AFMR has a similar layout but is punishing as all hell.

Both games are so absurdly good, it all depends on how masochistic your tastes run haha.

#10 6 years ago

I have both MM and AFMrLE love em both and I dont agree that they are alike in any way really. If you play them for their true ruleset, they have a powerful staying power.

#11 6 years ago

Totally agree. They truly couldn’t play more differently from each other.

#12 6 years ago

Having owned TZ for over 20 years I always thought it was in a league all its own.Then AFMRLE shows up.Game changer for sure.So yes.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I never played these games.much back in the day but I'm somewhat interested in a MMR. My question is for those of you who have played these games alot, are they keepers and do they stay fun in a say 5-7 game collection or do they get repetitive and boring eventually due to a shallow code?

You have Scared Stiff on your wish list . So I think that answers your Own question on code and what you like right there.

#14 6 years ago

I tired of MM a lot faster than I thought I would. Maybe it's the fan layout? I also like harder jackpot shots and MM has way too many of them.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

You have Scared Stiff on your wish list . So I think that answers your Own question on code and what you like right there.

That's been on my wish list since I was a total noob here though. It still is a game I would love to have though along with many others of course.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I tired of MM a lot faster than I thought I would. Maybe it's the fan layout? I also like harder jackpot shots and MM has way too many of them.

That’s not the hard part. The hard part is making those jackpot worth a lot.

I think both these games are timeless. Although I’ve played them both to death, the only thing keeping them out of my house is price. If I can get a good AFMr standard in a couple years for like 6k, I’ll jump all over it. Just got stuff higher on my list for now.

#17 6 years ago

That's been on my wish list since I was a total noon here though. It still is a game I would lov

SS is a nice offset for both these games
I have four games MM, AFMrLE,SS and CC. They really play well in a collection.
This is coming from one who had 17 games a year ago.

#18 6 years ago

These remakes both had great staying power at the places I found them for sale.

#19 6 years ago

It looks like these games are still highly respected even in today’s times. I’m not in position just yet to buy one but MMR is going to be heavily considered when the time comes. I wonder if CGC will keep doing more runs of all of the remakes as they get deeper into the other titles?

#20 6 years ago

The biggest issue with MM and AFM is that you won’t want to sell them...

#21 6 years ago

MM and AFM are both highly ranked for a reason - they are timeless and a ton of fun! Everything works so well: Lyman’s coding, the original themes, humor, music, art design, call outs, shots, great jackpots. CGC has done an exceptional job with the remakes and there is a reason they chose these titles to be first. If you are at all interested I would get a nib AFMr LE while they are still available. You won’t regret it. Just an absolute blast to play!

#22 6 years ago

I sold my mmr pretty quickly. For some reason it didn't do it for me.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

MM and AFM are both highly ranked for a reason - they are timeless and a ton of fun! Everything works so well: Lyman’s coding, the original themes, humor, music, art design, call outs, shots, great jackpots. CGC has done an exceptional job with the remakes and there is a reason they chose these titles to be first. If you are at all interested I would get a nib AFMr LE while they are still available. You won’t regret it. Just an absolute blast to play!

For some reason I am drawn to MMR. I do like both games but MM seems more up my alley. I think one of the reasons that I like it so much is because I like playfield toys a lot.......I know, that’s lame but it is what it is and the Castle is one cool ass toy! The game also shoots great and and has great sounds and animations.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

I have both MM and AFMrLE love em both and I dont agree that they are alike in any way really. If you play them for their true ruleset, they have a powerful staying power.

I'm not sure how you can say they aren't alike in any way really. They have the same basic ruleset (shoot every shot X times), then have to beat each center thing X times, multiball started by a shot just to the left of the center, same basic shot layout, etc. I mean the whole goal of making MM was to make an improved AFM since it did so well. Same designer, same software, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that at all, they're both great games, but the first thing I think of when somebody says "What's a game like AFM" I think MM (and vice versa). Monster Bash is also very similar, those three are kind of the trifecta of fan layout/shoot everything X times deal.

#25 6 years ago

I’d love to have an MM in my small collection to go with AFM. But I’d need something deep like WOZ too. MB and AFM have similar layouts (look at the right side of both playfields) and they play differently enough to stay interesting. More so than AFM and MM. Have you considered MB? If you’re cool with remakes wait and see what happens at TPF. Maybe you’ll have more options.

#26 6 years ago

There is a reason I wanted an AFM since 1996 and paid $8250 for one in 2016. It simply is my favorite game, and I never ever get tired of playing it. Everyone who comes over loves the game, and some people get into pinball with AFM being the pin that opens the door wide open to the hobby.

Get one. You will so not regret it.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from adii:

I’d love to have an MM in my small collection to go with AFM. But I’d need something deep like WOZ too. MB and AFM have similar layouts (look at the right side of both playfields) and they play differently enough to stay interesting. More so than AFM and MM. Have you considered MB? If you’re cool with remakes wait and see what happens at TPF. Maybe you’ll have more options.

MB is actually the theme that I like the best but I just have this feeling that MM is a better game, what do you guys think? MMR, AFMR, or MBR?

#28 6 years ago

I got tired of mm way sooner than afm.... but both in a small collection of 4 or less pins wld get old very quickly if u play a fair amount.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

MB is actually the theme that I like the best but I just have this feeling that MM is a better game, what do you guys think? MMR, AFMR, or MBR?

Mb gets old much faster than mm and afm bc its very easy compared to afm and mm and the callouts grow old super quick bc the way they are done imo.

#30 6 years ago

I agree that MM is better. But MM and AFM are more similar than either of those and MB. Despite the similarities in layout. So, it goes better in combination with an AFM or an MM. Sounds like you need to put some time in on all three.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I'm not sure how you can say they aren't alike in any way really. They have the same basic ruleset (shoot every shot X times), then have to beat each center thing X times, multiball started by a shot just to the left of the center, same basic shot layout, etc. I mean the whole goal of making MM was to make an improved AFM since it did so well. Same designer, same software, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that at all, they're both great games, but the first thing I think of when somebody says "What's a game like AFM" I think MM (and vice versa). Monster Bash is also very similar, those three are kind of the trifecta of fan layout/shoot everything X times deal.

For sure they are all similar.... especially afm and mm... at least mb has a different designer and the shots are slightly different from the others. However bc of that mb is very simple and the rules are mediocre at best compared to others imo..

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

In my opinion having owned MM , AFM , MB . That Monster Bash is the most fun on many levels . I can not comment on MBr as there is not one at this time .

100_0364 (resized).JPG100_0364 (resized).JPG
100_0284 (resized).JPG100_0284 (resized).JPG
MB High Score 17 (resized).jpgMB High Score 17 (resized).jpg
MMRLE (resized).jpgMMRLE (resized).jpg

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

In my opinion having owned MM , AFM , MB . That Monster Bash is the most fun on many levels . I can not comment on MBr as there is not one at this time .

You know that you aren’t making things any easier right? Lol

#34 6 years ago

I have my MM and still enjoy every game I play on it.
Dozens of other machines came and went..

#35 6 years ago

Deep rule sets are for suckers.

These two games strike a perfect balance between complexity and fun.

#36 6 years ago

Do not get both MMR and AFMR, as they have the same shot sequence and many of the same rules. I had an original MM and got an original AFM and restored it to perfect to put next to MM and they just played so much alike, that I sold AFM. I have since bought an AFMR, but don't keep it next to MM(one is upstairs and the other is in the basement). You really should have either of these games in your collection as they are both a hoot.

Just my opinion,
Sean

#37 6 years ago

They didn't hold up in a larger collection either..........LOL.

John

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

MM is a far better game in my opinion - we had a really nice MB but sold it after a few years as we just never played it. Beautiful to look at though!

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You know that you aren’t making things any easier right? Lol

I think that you will like whatever machine comes in to your home. There is no such thing as a wrong or bad decision in pinball. Every decision is a good one, some decisions are just better than others! We have had plenty of access to MM, MB and AFM when they first came out. We had businesses with these machines and could play them all when ever and as much as we liked. 20 years + later and we are still playing them and buying new ones to put in our home. What a fantastic hobby.

#40 6 years ago

5-7 games is a small collection?!

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

5-7 games is a small collection?!

Medium sized I guess. If you have 5 games you want them all to be really good games. If you have 10, 15, or more you can afford to have a few games that are just so so. That’s kind of what I meant by that statement. There are quite a few people who have collections of 30 pins or more.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

MM is a far better game in my opinion - we had a really nice MB but sold it after a few years as we just never played it. Beautiful to look at though!

I’ve been giving this a lot of thought and researching, looking at pics etc and I believe that MMR would be my choice out of the three most likely. I just hope they make another run of them because I’m not ready to buy just yet. Also Elvira 3 may be out by then and that game is extremely high on my wish list assuming it turns out good. If I were buying a new game today though I believe that it would be MMR.

#43 6 years ago

I have two in my collection, so that means I have a micro collection lol?

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

I have two in my collection, so that means I have a micro collection lol?

No it means you are very fortunate because most people have no pinball machines at all.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Medium sized I guess. If you have 5 games you want them all to be really good games. If you have 10, 15, or more you can afford to have a few games that are just so so. That’s kind of what I meant by that statement. There are quite a few people who have collections of 30 pins or more.

You can afford to have so so games in any size collection. Just need to be more cognizant of not over paying. If you never over pay, you can have 1-2 games and swap them out every couple months if you want.

#46 6 years ago

We have three pins currently and two of them are MMR and AFMR. While everyone has their own preferences, in my situation both have been absolute joy to own and play. Both games are accessible and fun for guests/family, and for my wife and I, we each have our own favorite of the two - I prefer AFM and she prefers MMR. We absolutely play and love them both but that's just how it's shaken out for now, I'm fortunate that she loves to play and she has basically told me that neither can ever leave, also that we need to start saving for MB because it's her favorite game.

#47 6 years ago

I never understood why people get concerned about holding onto a game for years. I cycle through them like underwear and I have a five game collection.

I played afm on location and wasn't impressed. May need to give it more time. I borrowed a buddies mmr for about a month. Fun game and reminds me of mb because you have to complete things in order to increase jackpots. I bought a mb about two weeks ago and love it. Yeah, not the hardest game but I only beat it once. It is a perfect balance of fun, difficulty, theme. I think mm is slightly harder as I never got to the end. The issues with mm is the scoring is a bit unbalanced and shooting the castle is easy. There aren't easy shots like that in mb other than Frankenstein and you don't want to hit him until you complete everything else. So the challenge is not hitting him.

Plan on getting them all and cycle through them. Buy them right and you won't lose money. Never understood why people get married to titles unless they really love the game. If not, move it along.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Would it be crazy to have a 3-game collection of MMr, AFMr, and MBr? I'm seriously considering doing this. Or maybe CCr instead of MMr to add variety. They are making another run of MMr in February prior to the reveal of remake #3 at TPF in March.

#49 6 years ago

I'm sure there are gonna be plenty of people with that exact collection, lol.

I have a CC Continued sitting right by my MM right now tho, and trust me, CC is no match for MM in terms of quality. It's a fun game, great theme, but just not on the same level. Especially without expanded software and rules.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I just hope they make another run of them because I’m not ready to buy just yet.

CG said they do plan on doing more runs of MMr, in February. Here is where they said it: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cgc-pinball-production-update/page/27#post-4133071

So you have some time to save up some money and decide. There will also be distributors that will have them even when a production run isn't happening.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-mmr-and-afmr-have-staying-power-in-a-small-collection?hl=markp99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.