Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Snailman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I got in to pinball with the goal of owning a single pin, MM. Don't laugh, it was from playing pinball arcade on my phone and I didn't know about all the other choices. So now that I am closing in on my holy grail I have to know if it is possible to turn off the howard hurts line "who the [bleep] are you?"...

Can you take out the bleep call? Not just the line with the actual word but even the line with the beep? Is there a real family friendly mode or would I be stuck with it?

#2 11 years ago

There is a family setting but i'm not sure if it removes that like or not.

#3 11 years ago

Wtf, I laughed. Sorry.

If your kids can't handle that, its going to get worse.

#4 11 years ago

I know I know... but it is what it is

If anyone has one or knows if its possible... would love to know.

#5 11 years ago

I doubt it. I have the swear roms to I actually hear the F word uncensored, unless I put it on "family" mode.

#6 11 years ago

If the MM has any other firmware other then the home 1.09c then it is bleeped out and you cannot enable it. If it is 1.09c their is a family mode setting that bleeps the word

#7 11 years ago

Ok thanks, so if I understand the family mode is just to enable the bleep correct? And even if you don't have the swear rom you will still have the bleep whether you set it on family mode or not.

#8 11 years ago

Correct Your covered.

#9 11 years ago

it's either beep, or you can turn off the beep so it's not there. THat's friendly enough. Robot chicken has way worse than that.

#10 11 years ago

Geez. I guess sopranos pinball is definitely out for you.

#11 11 years ago

it's a shame too, because swear mode is hilarious.

#12 11 years ago

I have to tell my 7 y.o. not to repeat that all the time.

#13 11 years ago

my kid is 7 as well. if it's bleeped out..it's not a big deal. she sees worse than that, just on cable.

#14 11 years ago

Ha, dang. Didn't Bart Simpson already copy right that line? I actually had to stop and think what you were talking about censoring. And here I am worrying about Predator. Does Madness really drop an F bomb? I don't remember it.

#15 11 years ago

Lol yeah, I enjoyed Sopranos on location and definitely wouldn't be able to bring that home. My kid like has been said will see and hear plenty worse but for just for me I'll always work hard to keep our home as free from it as I can. Blah blah blah lol I know that isn't popular but it's how I like it

So since there is no setting to remove the line entirely, the best I can get is to have it play with the bleep, I am going to hold off on going for my MM until my kids are a little older. (Does this mean the bubble will burst, because demand just dropped by 1 lol)

I appreciate how the topic got some lol's I'll give you another one to get some more eye rolls. I really wish there was a setting to remove the "Damn it!" line from my Tron table (is there??) as our family plays it every day and I'm constantly saying "oh, don't say that kids" when it drains.

I'm definitely not trying to start a debate on how you should raise your own kids, believe me when I say my belief is that family is the most important thing and no one knows what your own family needs better than you do

#16 11 years ago

There is a family mode, I know it censors the slaying of the dragon on the DMD... I do recall that.

#17 11 years ago

The "damn it" line pnly occurs on a tilt warning right? Stop shaking the machine or put it on no warnings or remove the tilt bob.....

#18 11 years ago

Lol thanks Frax, so now I can't blame the game for swearing but it's 'me' shaking my table too much OH man, I can't play without nudging, and I fear for the safety of 'the grid' if I disable my Tilt.. Quite a pickle I put myself in!

VisitorQ, that's what I had hoped that maybe it would also bypass the "who the [bleep] are you" line if there was a family mode. So far from what people are saying the game still plays that line, hopefully there is a setting in there somewhere but until someone verifies that I'll have to wait till my rugrats get a little older.

#19 11 years ago

I thought he wanted to get rid of the line "Big dragon, but I bet you're bigger".
Of course if the kid knows that is somewhat dirty then they already know what you are trying to keep them from.

#20 11 years ago

My TSPP has the "Hugh Jass" line when you shoot the Moe's Tavern ramp. No one hasn't complained yet, because no little kids have played it yet.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

VisitorQ, that's what I had hoped that maybe it would also bypass the "who the [bleep] are you" line if there was a family mode. So far from what people are saying the game still plays that line, hopefully there is a setting in there somewhere but until someone verifies that I'll have to wait till my rugrats get a little older.

The reason why I remember this is because I installed the profanity roms thinking I could switch on the family mode to stick the beeps back in but when I did it also started to censor things on the display. I remember the beheading of the dragon as one of them.

#22 11 years ago

"who the [bleep] are you" is not bad if you don’t know what fill in the bleep in with.
If you do know what to fill it in with then you are old enough to know not to say it.
Maybe it is “who the heck are you” no one really knows. Just because the profanity roms fill it in differently does not make it true.

#23 11 years ago

Actually that's a good point. I LOVE the song 99 Problems (most recently) by Hugo but I don't want my sons calling women bitches. Weird huh? But they really like blues and bluegrass and such, so, when we're in the car I hit the steering wheel mute for every 'bitch' and sing "girl" real loud instead.

"If you're having girl problems I feel bad for ya son, I got 99 problems and a *girl* ain't one."

Of course, I don't particularly want them calling women, girls, either but that's besides this point. The point is, since I never swear around the boys and they watch next to nothing on the TV, they had no idea I was censoring anything. In fact, my eldest finally said, "Dad, there's something really wrong with this song. The music cuts out in the same spots like 15 times."

I say, leave the beep. They won't notice it unless you make a big deal out of it. That is, of course, if perhaps there's someone ELSE demanding the censorship.

They also like "White Trash Party" by Eminem. My youngest thinks its called, "Lightship Party." I haven't bothered to correct him.

#24 11 years ago

You can't turn it off. But what worked with my kids is that whenever I hear that part coming, I crash a pair of cymbals. I also have a little black 3x3 card I use to cover the damsels cleavage when she's on the dmd

#25 11 years ago

I only purchase games with odd number ball modes because anything in pairs is far too suggestive.

j/k

I respect any parents choices of censorship, it's our right.

#26 11 years ago

You don't think that repeatedly bringing the "Damn it" in Tron to the attention of your children is more damaging than a "beep" that you could simply ignore? Really?

#28 11 years ago

You can try pushing the 2nd from the left button just inside the coin door for a few seconds. You will then have no F*CK, no Bleep, well you will have noting...Fully censored.

#29 11 years ago

Well I never claimed to be perfect (or consistent) lol

Lots of great comments though, I like that one about the bleep could be anything, and I could fill it in by shouting Heck each time. And that's a great point that chances are they wouldn't know to fill it with F>>K like my brain does at my age, guilty!

I think you were kidding about the cymbals and black cards on MM but I did stick a post-it note over the lovey lady on the backglass of our Skateball table

#30 11 years ago

Around the kids I use Hootin' Hadrosaur for hell, as in, "What in the hootin' hadrosaur are you talking about?" I also use "smurf" for fuck, as in, "Are you smurfing kidding me!?", or, "Great, I'm completely smurfed."

Combining them then, "Where in the hootin' hadrosaur are my smurfing keys?"

#32 11 years ago

Hey now lol, I'm no Ned... cracked me up though

#33 11 years ago

I believe family mode removes the moaning damsel call out.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

They also like "White Trash Party" by Eminem. My youngest thinks its called, "Lightship Party." I haven't bothered to correct him

LOL...when my daughter was younger, we listned to Prodigy's 'Smack my Bitch Up'. We told her it said 'Snap my Picture'. ....I don't think she ever caught on.

#35 11 years ago

"Snap Ma Piksha!" Hahahaha. God damn. I don't think I'll ever be able to hear that song again without that line! Classic!

Other four year old lyric morphs for Lightship Party are, "She's got a tattoo of me right above her gas can.... on the street of Michigan we call 'em Champ Stamps."

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Actually that's a good point. I LOVE the song 99 Problems (most recently) by Hugo but I don't want my sons calling women bitches. Weird huh? But they really like blues and bluegrass and such, so, when we're in the car I hit the steering wheel mute for every 'bitch' and sing "girl" real loud instead.

This is actually about a dog. The story is that Jay Z was stopped by police and it took so long for the canine unit to come out that they let him go. The car was loaded witth drugs.

so he has 99 problems but a *dog* aint one.

--jeff

#37 11 years ago

lol, dang it! I started this to see if I could filter out the 'one' line that my brain was getting tripped up on, and now you're all reminding me of all the other little things that I enjoy about MM but may not want to put in front of my kids and promote

I suppose the easiest thing to do is load the table up in Visual Pinball on my laptop and just play with the settings if it will let me.

Is that true about JayZ, cause that's a great story if it is... he must crack up thinking how many people sing it the wrong way!

#39 11 years ago

Gotcha, it's good to read his official story, but now that I've read about the earlier rendtions and where the line came from, personally I wonder if he didn't just come up with the story to alleviate the press or womens groups (or his wife going after him lol

#40 11 years ago

Yeah, that's all very heart warming and progressive of him, but I sort of doubt it as well. Besides, Hugo's use of the title and chorus are way better than Jay Z's and certainly more approachable than the original Ice-T's.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

The reason why I remember this is because I installed the profanity roms thinking I could switch on the family mode to stick the beeps back in but when I did it also started to censor things on the display. I remember the beheading of the dragon as one of them.

It absolutely does censor the DMD during the dragon beheading. The scene is covered with the word "CENSORED".

11 months later
#42 10 years ago

I'm guessing that this update won't matter much to pretty much everyone but I thought I'd give it some closure nonetheless for any future Googler's.

Quoted from smassa:

I believe family mode removes the moaning damsel call out.

Nope. You still get to hear the moaning princess with family mode.

Quoted from RobT:

It absolutely does censor the DMD during the dragon beheading. The scene is covered with the word "CENSORED".

True, from what I can tell the beheading and the unbleeped F-word are the two items filtered with Family Mode when using the 1.09c profanity ROM.

To my original question, I found that I could completely remove the "I'm Howard Hurtz, how the <bleep> are you!" line from our MM by installing the profanity ROM 109.c and enabling family mode.

Pretty easy, the entire line is now dropped in this way. When using the ROM 1.09b that particular call out with the beep is still used in family mode.

#43 10 years ago

SAVE THE CHILDREN

#44 10 years ago

This thread reminds me of the parent, who years ago, wanted to remove the "Aids is Real, Protect Yourself" message from their machine.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

This must be the Ned Flanders thread.

I didn't realize how old this thread was. lol

#46 10 years ago

I can't believe it took me a whole year to find the right MM

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Actually that's a good point. I LOVE the song 99 Problems (most recently) by Hugo but I don't want my sons calling women bitches. Weird huh?

I bump heads with my wife over this issue all the time. She wants no swearing around our kid at all. I obviously have an extremely different perspective.

In the end, no matter what side you're on in this discussion and how you choose to approach the issue, I think we can agree that "context is king" is the lesson we should hammer into their brains when the time comes to explain using these, or any, words. Yah' know?

Just my 2 *bleep*'ing cents. ;P

Edit: OMFG I just replied to a year old post...gawd damned it...

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

My TSPP has the "Hugh Jass" line when you shoot the Moe's Tavern ramp. No one hasn't complained yet, because no little kids have played it yet.

I didn't even know there was adult language on tspp I've copped the next text from the stern website
Implemented Adult Content adjustment. When off, the following phrases
are removed from the game:
- Kick ass, man!
- Holy crap!
- Somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass.( < second favourite )
- Cheating makes Baby Jesus cry. ( < this is my favourite )

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

I can't believe it took me a whole year to find the right MM

I can't believe you thought that you could only own 1 pin

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I can't believe you thought that you could only own 1 pin

I hardly recognize the old me, what was 'he' thinking!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 9.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 64.99
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-mm-have-kid-friendly-option and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.