Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by dgoett
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Due to my small space and finite budget I will need to sell one of my grails in order to buy an MMR. Tough call because I LOVE my 3 pins. Anyway, it would be a big help to know from all the long-term MM owners out there how much they still like it and play it. I know all my guests and non-pinheads will love it, but I don't care about that right now. I don't care about the prestige either.

Does it get boring after several hundred plays or a couple thousand plays?

Is it still "the best" and the one you play the most?

Does it still have that "one more play" addictiveness?

Is it a true long-term, player's pin?

Mainly seeking feedback from current & past MM owners. Thank you!

#2 10 years ago

I explained the rules to another friend, posting that here:

The game focuses primarily on Madness features. Every time you complete a task (such as shooting the castle to destroy it or shooting the left ramp to stir up angry peasants), it lights a Madness feature at Merlin's kickout for Multiball Madness. The more modes you have lit at the kickout, the more balls you get during Multiball Madness and the more jackpots are worth. This makes it fun to stack features for a really awesome multiball.

Another multiball mode, Castle multiball, has traditional lock rules. Light 3 locks at the castle wall to the left of the drawbridge, and shoot the ball through the hidden gate (not sure if you knew this) to launch cannonballs at the castle on the display. So the game has both a traditional multiball and a deeper multiball. This is one reason why the game is so accessible.

Like advancing your raft down river in White Water, the obvious major objective is to destroy the castles of King Payne's men. Each time you do this, that castle is lit at the emblem above the flippers and each castle after it becomes progressively more difficult to shoot. If you get all the way to King Payne, there is a special mode just for that. It's quite fun.

Now, beyond the obvious stuff there is still more to do. Every time you complete the catapult shot for a Catapult Slam, you get to choose on the display what you want to launch at the castle, and your choice effects how many points you get. Timing is key here, and it's a fun little addition.

You can also light video mode at the in lanes. These of course can be moved around using the flipper buttons like any generic lane change feature.

The game also has a hurry-up mode called Castle Hurry-Up. If you hit the castle drawbridge before time runs out, you get a hurry-up score. Also, the skill shot is to immediately hit the drawbridge after the plunge while the red arrow insert is flashing.

And while I'm talking about plunges, if you hold the left flipper up when you plunge the ball will come around the left orbit instead of being diverted into the swordfight bumpers in the upper right. This makes it easier to get back into play quickly.

Another side mode this game features is Trolls. Each time you hit the troll targets on either side of the drawbridge, it advances towards Trolls. Once the trolls are disturbed enough they will pop out of the ground on both the display AND the playfield as bash toys (not sure if you knew this). Hit each troll enough times to complete the mode. They will alternate positions much like Buzz and Bud do in No Good Gofers).

Merlin's kickout is the main award shot in the game. Complete the Merlin standups on the right to light the shot, and he chooses a random award from his scroll on the display. It can range from points, to advancing a certain shot for Multiball Madness, to starting an entire mode. This feature often gives you what you want; say you have Trolls almost lit, he will start that mode for you so you can get that out of the way and open up shots for Multiball Madness. There is quite a lot of strategy here at this shot that involves Multiball Madness that really keeps the game from getting repetitive.

#3 10 years ago

Nope, it's a challenging game! With great rules, flow, art and humor that still has me hitting the start button for one more game after all these years.

#4 10 years ago

yes, quickly

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Nope, it's a challenging game! With great rules, flow, art and humor that still has me hitting the start button for one more game after all these years.

There you have it.

#6 10 years ago

If you manage to have a long game and actually complete the wizard mode, get barnyard multiball then it will be tough to play again. I think this applies to all pinball with very few exceptions. If you have the room to keep all the games you want then it's definitely a great pinball but not a keeper otherwise.

#7 10 years ago

I realize this is not the kind of response you're looking for, but please let me add my two cents.

There is not a pin made that I won't get bored with if I play it incessantly. For what it's worth (probably just that proverbial two cents), my advice is to keep what you have until you think you've lost most of your interest in one of your existing pins. Then buy a MM. There should be plenty of them available, and a good HUO example ought to be cheaper. You might well decide to sell it in a few years. In other words, don't look at pins as irrevocable commitments. Enjoy them and then be willing to move on.

I also have a small virtual pin that allows me to play tables that I will never buy. Of course, it isn't the same experience, but it's not bad, it is relatively inexpensive, and the small models take up a lot less space than a pin.

#8 10 years ago

I know people who will be buried in theirs, not leaving under any circumstances. In a 3 game collection things are gonna get old, there's no escaping that. Even the best games can get stale at times. I'd personally have no issues swapping out that BSD for a MMr.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'd personally have no issues swapping out that BSD for a MMr.

i really miss my BSD. gonna have to find another one someday. great pin.

#10 10 years ago

every game gets boring, especially in a small collection. That is why so many people have a lot of pins. MM will hold its own though against other top pins. Not as deep as some but has great humor that others do not have. Surely a top 5 pin of all time.

#11 10 years ago

We'll, if it helps, I had an original, and because of a move, I had to sell it. I have a MMr on order, because I miss playing it. Good luck with your decision.

#12 10 years ago

its not so much about a game as it is you- how are you with your other games?

#13 10 years ago

Very difficult to answer also because of the quality of your collection. Only you can answer that. Play more MM to be sure.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Does it get boring after several hundred plays or a couple thousand plays?
Is it still "the best" and the one you play the most?
Does it still have that "one more play" addictiveness?
Is it a true long-term, player's pin?
Mainly seeking feedback from current & past MM owners. Thank you!

I've had one since 2000. Played it a fair bit back in the day, probably have a thousand plays on it give or take a hundred. Over the past 5 years it's been one of the least played in a collection of around 30 games. It plays long - I could toughen it up but prefer to leave it easy for other people to enjoy. I am tending to like shorter, tougher games like Tron, SST, BBH; but MM is still good enough to stick around. I need to re-shop it out though, been 14 years on the original shop job with periodic cleanings and repair.

#15 10 years ago

I'll echo what some other before me have stated. Every game gets boring in a collection including MM. However, it is a terrific game, theme and people who come ver enjoy it as well - pinhead or not. Play your games til you're ready for something new then get one.

#16 10 years ago

Any game gets boring after 100's of plays. MM is one that after you " get bored with " it's just such a great layout that it begs to be played.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Very difficult to answer also because of the quality of your collection. Only you can answer that. Play more MM to be sure.

Working on it! Our league has one now so I put a few games on it every Thurs night. I've got maybe 20-30 games on it.

Quoted from lladnip:

its not so much about a game as it is you- how are you with your other games?

Not quite sure what you mean. I fire up my games about 2-3 times per week. I've had Tron for a year, LOTR maybe 9 months, and BSD for a couple months, but it's my 3rd BSD (finally found a mint one). I'm not a great player and have yet to beat any of my games. All 3 are still very fun for me.

Quoted from badbilly27:

I'll echo what some other before me have stated. Every game gets boring in a collection including MM. However, it is a terrific game, theme and people who come ver enjoy it as well - pinhead or not. Play your games til you're ready for something new then get one.

I think that's good advice. If I'm unable to part with anything I can always cancel my MMRLE and get an HUO Standard down the road.

#18 10 years ago

I own MM and various other A titles and "yes," eventually it will get old like the others.

It's been months since I probably played my MM.

Play it, buy something else, repeat....

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I own MM and various other A titles and "yes," eventually it will get old like the others.
It's been months since I probably played my MM.
Play it, buy something else, repeat....

Yep. This. But no more so than the three games you own now. Dracula had the least to do in your collection. Mm has a lot to do and is fun. I occasionally still play it. It is not in the top 10 of my favorite games in my house at the moment. I'm glad I own it though. Rules allow for a lot of strategy. I suggest opening the outlanes all the way up the day you beat it and reset the high score table. That breathed new life into mine for a while.

#20 10 years ago

My advice is wait. I've sold pins I still liked, but had gotten stale after a ton of play. But I've never sold one I still loved. And that is what you are thinking of doing. If you are happy with what you have, keep them. Eventually one of them will start to reach its expiration date, and that is when you move them. And you will know when it happens. All of a sudden that jackpot isn't exciting, and you feel like games on it are always the same. When that happens, send it on to the next owner and bring in MM.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

My advice is wait. I've sold pins I still liked, but had gotten stale after a ton of play. But I've never sold one I still loved. And that is what you are thinking of doing. If you are happy with what you have, keep them. Eventually one of them will start to reach its expiration date, and that is when you move them. And you will know when it happens. All of a sudden that jackpot isn't exciting, and you feel like games on it are always the same. When that happens, send it on to the next owner and bring in MM.

Buddy, I think you hit the nail on the head. That totally explains why I'm having such a hard time choosing, which is usually no problem.

Thanks guys for all the good advice!

#22 10 years ago

I had a very nice MM in my collection for a few months. And although it is a great game and a lot of fun, it just didn't give me the adrenaline rush that some of my other machines do. When I sold it, part of the reason was the amount of money involved in one pin, and another was that I liked so many others better.

I got excited and had pre-ordered an MMr also, but quickly changed my mind when I realized after a few months it would be no different. That and I am assuming that there will be many slightly used ones available down the road if I change my mind without having to make a commitment now.

#23 10 years ago

If you are not getting bored of BSD, which in my opinion is a one trick pony, you will not get bored of MMR. I would jettison BSD and bring in MMR. That's an easy first world decision.

#24 10 years ago

I feel many people will realize MM is not what it's cracked up to be rather quickly once MMR ships.

I bought MM about the same time I bought LOTR LE when it came out. I had something in the area of 5x as much plays on LOTR over MM. I did not even realize this until one day I checked the audits and it surprised me. MM is a cool game to own but it's more of a looker than anything.

#25 10 years ago

Keep bsd it's in its own class.One of my favs it's a very dark pinball.mm is cool too I want them all.

#26 10 years ago

ALL games will get old in the home. It's going to happen. Buy it, enjoy it, and move to the next when you get bored.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Yep. This. But no more so than the three games you own now. Dracula had the least to do in your collection. Mm has a lot to do and is fun. I occasionally still play it. It is not in the top 10 of my favorite games in my house at the moment. I'm glad I own it though. Rules allow for a lot of strategy. I suggest opening the outlanes all the way up the day you beat it and reset the high score table. That breathed new life into mine for a while.

I really enjoy the game. Is it my favorite No it is not. I think this explains it well.
It bores but no easier than other A titles at least not to me. I love the theme and gameplay.

#28 10 years ago

Had mine about 2 and a half months maybe 3 STI just picked it up yesterday I get bored with pins fast usually have anywhere from 2 - 4 pins at home and usually swap them out every few months mm is a decent game but not what it's made out to be in my oppion

#29 10 years ago

if you haven't owned one you should, but I doubt it would turn out to be a "Desert island" pin or anything.
It's good, fun, with neat modes and wizard mode, but LONG game times and eventually after you win battle for the kingdom every few times you play it, you'll move it along.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-mm-get-boring-in-the-home and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.