• Latest reply 2 years ago by snyper2099
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5164A0C8-8E02-4096-8FFE-B39B5E4A7B58 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20211009_193642 (resized).jpg
There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 2 years ago

So, I’m flirting with the idea of picking up a Led Zep Premium. Prices are great especially in today’s market. However, does the pin really suck that bad? I just can’t tell…. Reviews are all over the place so I don’t know who to believe. Anyone or two of you want to give me the straight scoop? I know people point yo the barren playfield, but Stranger Things is pretty barren and a lot of people (including me) love that pin.

PS. I know people will tell me to find one on location.

#2 2 years ago

Yes, barren playfield. However, the shots are very smooth. The kind of game that a good player will get bored with, but is good for just banging on. The modes just aren't that unique. I still enjoy the game though.

#3 2 years ago

Zep is a lot of fun. Layout not going to win any awards for originality but if you like steve Ritchie type layouts you’ll like the shots and flow. Fun, punchy, easy to understand rules and of course great sound, music, and light show.

Glad I grabbed my LE when you couldn’t give them away.

#4 2 years ago

LOL. It doesn't suck at all.. I guarantee you that if you get a Premium or LE? That it will be the most fun, most played game in your collection by far, especially by guests. Crazy good pricing on them right now compared to others that are over-hyped imo without mentioning names.

#5 2 years ago

I can think of about 200 other games i'd rather have.

#6 2 years ago

The Pro is an insult at the price they ask.

The Premium and LE are great though. People bash it constantly since it came out at the same time as a music pin with an amazing lightshow that gave off more than 5000000 candlepower . People have every right to trash the Pro ... that was a pathetic move on Stern's part.

The Premium and LE are a different story. I find the Premium and LE to be more fun than GnR for whatever it's worth (that's just my opinion ... I know I'm in the minority ... no need to downvote). Please keep in mind that I've only had about 6 hours on each machine. That isn't exactly a lot in terms of pinball, but that's enough to at least formulate a, uh, rational opinion .

The layout has a lot of classic Steve Ritchie kinds of shots. Flow is great. The spinner toy is pretty slick (I've heard that it is troublesome, but that's pinball ... spend an hour or two tweaking it and you should get it to work). The audio kicks ass ... theme integration is great. I also find the Premium to have the best art package of the three. If Stern sells their version of powerblades for LZ and you can get them at MSRP, I'd grab those too .

Since the game didn't seem to sell well, I wouldn't expect any significant SW updates. Something seemed unbalanced scoring wise to me ... and it also seemed like more could be added, but I wouldn't count on Stern to do much more with the pin ... Gary's already grabbed his cash much like he did with Star Wars when it was released (though that did get some great updates). While some of the problems with it kill it as a tournament kind of machine (damn shame given the shots), I can't see it being a bad pick for a home game. Music pins are always going to be in demand (only reason that Rolling Stones seems to sell for a decent price despite it being considered a dog like LZ ).

I noticed that you don't have a Steve Ritchie pin in your collection ... you might want to give it a try . I don't think you'll lose out in the long run and you might find that you like it more than the average player. If you are a Led Zeppelin fan, I think you'll really like it.

(I don't own either GnR or LZ and don't plan on buying either ... I have nothing to gain/lose by hyping or trashing them ).

#7 2 years ago

I want to say this is a contrary opinion, but I think the masses will agree with me. Overall it’s not a “bad” pin… in that it’s on the same level as Munsters, but it’s overly generic and uninspired on the whole that it’s just a snoozefest.

It’s a S.R. game which should mean it’s going to flow greatly, and instead it’s a congested mix of the left half of ST and the right half of AC/DC. But because of the fact that it’s crammed a lot, and the upper flipper shot is taking up space and does nothing fun, you get a lot of clunkier shots as opposed to those two gems.

Furthermore, it may be the most uninspired code there is that isn’t a Lonnie “shoot randomly lit mode shots for points, and hey there’s two MB’s to get”. In fact, it plays like a Lonnie game. Some song you choose has random shots lit for no reason. Still some MB’s to get. The game just isn’t that fun and doesn’t have fun shots to boot. LZ fans may love it, but it’s not fun even for those who casually like the music. Just a waste of S.R…. and we all said he couldn’t do worse after BKSOR Pro. So glad he jumped ship to redeem himself.

#8 2 years ago

For those of you that like Led Zep, would you swap a decked out Rob Zombie for a Led Zep Premium? I have had a really hard time letting my Rob Zombie go…

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

and we all said he couldn’t do worse after BKSOR Pro

bksor pro is better than premium. just sayin, its actually a very good game.

#10 2 years ago

Love my LZ Pro, a lot of risk/reward. Definitely a shooters game trying to building up the multipliers, easy to learn hard to master comes to mind with this one.

#11 2 years ago

"but it’s overly generic and uninspired on the whole that it’s just a snoozefest."

can't summarize it better than this. A theme simply wasted.

but in todays market where everything is selling for more than it's worth, at least you get a good deal with a cool theme attached to it.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I can think of about 200 other games i'd rather have.

I can think of 200 other games I'd rather you have, too.

Quoted from snowy_owl:

Yes, barren playfield. However, the shots are very smooth. The kind of game that a good player will get bored with, but is good for just banging on. The modes just aren't that unique. I still enjoy the game though.

I'm a pretty good player, and I'm yet to get to a mini wizard mode. So God bless you, sir...you've got some serious talent!

Paging Lameberger, who will no doubt pop in here soon to let us know how much better his Alien or GnR are and how much Zep sucks. As for me, it's the most played game in my house, and still a freaking blast even a year later.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

For those of you that like Led Zep, would you swap a decked out Rob Zombie for a Led Zep Premium? I have had a really hard time letting my Rob Zombie go…

I think it would look cool next to Rob Zombie actually, too bad it would have to be that one. Now if you had a Mando? I’d say trade it all day for a Zep premium, there I said it. The spinners, light show, music will keep you coming back. I played one game of Mando and never played it again.. not that it’s a bad game but that’s the snooze fest, not as good and boring compared to Zep Imo. Zep is a very fast, high energy game with very high replay value.

#14 2 years ago

get a acdc pro & a iPod full of Led Zep!

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from snowy_owl:

bksor pro is better than premium. just sayin, its actually a very good game.

As I always say, BKSoR is empty, but if you have a lot of money, you get two empty PFs.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I’d sell RZ for a LZ Pro that was hit by a truck. That’s how poorly I view RZ. Game blows. At least you get a new Stern in that tradeoff, and you say it’s a Prem…? But it’s like trading a turd sandwich for a giant douche. It’s a lose-lose. Try to get a better game.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#17 2 years ago

The pro is bad. The premium is not great but definitely the version to get if you’re going to get one. There’s just so many better games out there to get.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

That’s how poorly I view RZ. Game blows.

My guess is that is more of a reflection of your view of Rob Zombie himself rather than the pin. If you were a Rob Zombie fan, I bet you would have a different opinion.

#19 2 years ago

The artwork ruins it for me. So lazy.
The LE is kinda cool I guess… weird but okay… the pro and premium have the worse art in modern pinball

#20 2 years ago

I'd definitely keep my RZ over a Zep pro. It may be unpolished, crude and rude, but it's also fun and has a fair bit to shoot for. Zep is just meh... A Zep Prem might be equivalent to RZ but even that would be a tough decision.

#21 2 years ago

One of the better EM's I've played. ...

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from 80sMan:

I think it would look cool next to Rob Zombie actually, too bad it would have to be that one. Now if you had a Mando? I’d say trade it all day for a Zep premium, there I said it. The spinners, light show, music will keep you coming back. I played one game of Mando and never played it again.. not that it’s a bad game but that’s the snooze fest, not as good and boring compared to Zep Imo. Zep is a very fast, high energy game with very high replay value.

if you even somewhat like rob zombie pin, you'll love zep.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

if you even somewhat like rob zombie pin, you'll love zep.

There's only one thing RZ has over LZ: Fried chicken on a spring>Ick on a stick. I still laugh thinking about that thing...too funny.

#24 2 years ago

Reminds me of the discussion of the hobbit a few years back, barron playfield, bad code, etc. Now you can barely find them and prices have jumped. I find zeppelin to be a great shooting game, BUT, what I dont like about it is the songs have nothing to do with the game, it’s just a mix of hitting different arrows (and, of course, the artwork is pretty lame). At least with acdc, the songs modes are aligned with something (pops, drops, ramps, orbits, cannon, bell, etc.). You could basically put any music in LZ and it wouldn’t matter, awful theme integration, but there also isn’t a whole lot of material to work with. The choice to make a zep pin struck me as being pretty odd when I first heard about it. I liked the pro and then upgraded to a premium, they shoot similar, But at least the upper flipper has something to shoot for in the premium and the EM mech is pretty cool.

#25 2 years ago

The thing about LZ is that, when you walk up to it, you expect that it is going to suck because of the barren nature of the playfield. However, once you play it, you will find it to be surprisingly fun in spite of the barrenness (at least I did!). I would never own one, even though the band was a big part of my formative years, but I find myself always taking time to play it whenever I'm in a free play arcade or at a show.

#26 2 years ago

LZ was a rushed attempt by Steve to stay in business with Stern. The result was nothing more than a game using above average lighting displays with LZ music playing alongside. The game is really striped down which makes it hard to justify the high price point for any model. With so many other great machines to choose from this is a pass even for LZ music fans.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

In a heartbeat.

#29 2 years ago

Rob zombie is a horrible design with not a single shot that is satisfying. Right from the plunge, the bad layout of RZ punches you in the face. It has some modes that I like, but you have to endure that poor design to try and enjoy any bit of that game.

LZ isn’t the greatest ever, but the shot flow good and the premium version has more to offer than you think once you learn the rules.

#30 2 years ago

No, only game that lived up to a sucky rep for me was Munsters when I played it.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Rob zombie is a horrible design with not a single shot that is satisfying. Right from the plunge, the bad layout of RZ punches you in the face. It has some modes that I like, but you have to endure that poor design to try and enjoy any bit of that game.
LZ isn’t the greatest ever, but the shot flow good and the premium version has more to offer than you think once you learn the rules.

Fair enough. I actually don’t think Rob Zombie is as bad as you describe, but, trust me, you aren’t the first to tell me those things. I will say Rob Zombie is next to impossible to get deep into the modes. It’s the only pin where I haven’t come close to getting to the end. I reached out to the LZ seller to gauge his interest.

#32 2 years ago

I have a LZprem and love it .My kids don’t .They’re in the “not a lot to do “ club ,but I couldn’t disagree more .Your always in a mode via the song chosen and you basically navigate the game on top of those ,if that makes any sense .The shot flow is incredible .Light show second only to GnR.If you like the band you’ll most likely like this pin .There’s some real exiting moments in this pin .If you purchase It and it’s still on 1.02 Id recommend staying put until further notice .See the owners thread for that .Good Luck

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I have a LZprem and love it .My kids don’t .They’re in the “not a lot to do “ club ,but I couldn’t disagree more .Your always in a mode via the song chosen and you basically navigate the game on top of those ,if that makes any sense .The shot flow is incredible .Light show second only to GnR.If you like the band you’ll most likely like this pin .There’s some real exiting moments in this pin .If you purchase It and it’s still on 1.02 Id recommend staying put until further notice .See the owners thread for that .Good Luck

1.12 was released yesterday.

#34 2 years ago

Aside from that it is an impossible task for a pin to do Led Zeppelin justice, I thought the idea to have the mode rules change according to where you are in a song an inspired bit of codemaking. I’ve not played the game so I do not know if it enhances play.

#35 2 years ago

Had a LZ pro for a while and really enjoyed it.

#36 2 years ago

Get the LZ, you won’t regret it.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

My guess is that is more of a reflection of your view of Rob Zombie himself rather than the pin. If you were a Rob Zombie fan, I bet you would have a different opinion.

I’ve been a Rob/White Zombie fan for decades. Shows how much I hate the RZ pin.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Wish I could upvote again. The skill shot isn’t intuitive (so I time the ball to hit the 3 when the 3 is lit, right?), the Mode Start shot doesn’t always start modes, the upper PF is awful, and the right two shots are as clunky as they get.

#39 2 years ago

I have not really found any modern pin that I was say "sucks" - they are all fun to play. I played a pro a few times on location, enjoyed it and would play it again. But, I don't feel like there is enough in the game to keep me interested in it at home compared to the other games I own. If it was the only pin out there and I was not aware of others, it would be great. But there are just so many better titles available for a home collection.

#40 2 years ago

Here is my take on Led Zeppelin:

I relate this game to TNA in terms of layout and fun factor. It has a really simple well flowing layout(Ritchie signature style). The layout is butter smooth and the combos shots are seamless. The layout is a simple layout with little to no 'toys'. There are modes but this game is really about high scoring and keeping the ball alive as long as possible. This is not a journey game and may feel repetitive in a small collection. I relate to TNA because the simplistic rule set and layout, over the top lighting, and music. TNA does not need a ton of fluff or toys to make it special-the gameplay, music, lighting and rule set make it a blast to play(same as LZ). Some people need more and want the game stuffed with toys to enjoy and LZ is not that game. One other thing that is crucial with this game is-you MUST be a big fan of Led Zeppelin. If you do not listen to Led Zeppelin-do not buy this pinball machine(many others out there for your taste).

Now Pro or Premium/LE? This is Steve Ritchies last game with Stern and the Premium/LE Magic Spinner and lighting really take the game to the next level. I recommend a Premium/LE LZ for home and would recommend the Pro for location and OP's.

You have an Avengers that I feel is repetitive and overly complicated. It is always good to have a difficult journey game in the line up but I would probably get rid of Avengers before Zombie(if you like it that much).

If you LOVE Led Zeppelin music-can't go wrong
If you are SO SO on Led Zeppelin music wait for Rush or another pin

#41 2 years ago

My 10 year old is a big tournament player, got a Zeppelin before expo so he could learn it. I've actually quite enjoyed it, I'm not a deep complicated player...the kid is though. Zeppelin is easy to play, fun, nice flow, I've enjoyed it much more then I thought I would. And I play it more then GNR

IMG_20211009_193642 (resized).jpgIMG_20211009_193642 (resized).jpg
#42 2 years ago

Get a Deadpool instead. I looked at your wishlist. Or at least two others. IMO.

I agree that zep is a decent game. But the wish list you have is full of excellent hits. Also consider what is coming in the next 24 months. And not yet announced.

My opinion only.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from snowy_owl:

This is a good take IMO.

#44 2 years ago

Agree that art sucks but fun to play. All shots feel good and smooth like you expect from a SR game. Overall decent game but Stern just has so many better games lately.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Get a Deadpool instead. I looked at your wishlist. Or at least two others. IMO.

To be honest, I’m kind of Marveled out. Part of my interest in Zep is that it’s a value play today. I think I could pick a Premium up for $6500 or so.

#46 2 years ago

Please... I can name at least ten games people on here overpay and fawn over that actually do suck.

Led Zeppelin is a solid game, not amazing but a good effort compared to some of the turds people pay 12k for these days.

#47 2 years ago

I agree 100% with CrazyLevi. If I had the cash I would pick Beatles over Led Zeppelin. It would be a tough choice deciding between a Black Knight Sword of Rage and Led Zeppelin.

The suggestion to get a Dead Pool is also a good one, but I can relate to wanting something totally different than another Marvel pinball machine.

#48 2 years ago

I hated the pro, can't speak of the premium as I haven't played it.

#49 2 years ago

LZ is a great game. A good playfield lay-out (4 ramps, 4 target banks,…)
And a very good and deep rulesheet.

#50 2 years ago

I agree with the op’s approach as it is a value game at this point. Enough people just on this thread that know a lot about pinball speak highly on it. That would be enough for me.

But then again I like Munsters and BKSOR.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine, FL
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Edenton, NC
$ 65.99
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Mission, BC
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-led-zep-really-suck-that-bad?hl=danmarino and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.