• Latest reply 2 years ago by snyper2099
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5164A0C8-8E02-4096-8FFE-B39B5E4A7B58 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20211009_193642 (resized).jpg
There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Here is my take on Led Zeppelin:
I relate this game to TNA in terms of layout and fun factor. It has a really simple well flowing layout(Ritchie signature style). The layout is butter smooth and the combos shots are seamless. The layout is a simple layout with little to no 'toys'. There are modes but this game is really about high scoring and keeping the ball alive as long as possible. This is not a journey game and may feel repetitive in a small collection. I relate to TNA because the simplistic rule set and layout and over the top lighting. TNA does not need a ton of fluff or toys to make it special-the gameplay, lighting and rule set make it a blast to play(same as LZ). Some people need more and want the game stuffed with toys to enjoy and LZ is not that game. One other thing that is crucial with this game is-you MUST be a big fan of Led Zeppelin. If you do not listen to Led Zeppelin-do not buy this pinball machine(many others out there for your taste).
Now Pro or Premium/LE? This is Steve Ritchies last game with Stern and the Premium/LE Magic Spinner and lighting really take the game to the next level. I recommend a Premium/LE LZ for home and would recommend the Pro for location and OP's.
You have an Avengers that I feel is repetitive and overly complicated. It is always good to have a difficult journey game in the line up but I would probably get rid of Avengers before Zombie(if you like it that much).
If you LOVE Led Zeppelin music-can't go wrong
If you are SO SO on Led Zeppelin music wait for Rush or another pin

I wouldn’t call it a journey type of game either but there sure is an awful lot to try to accomplish and it isn’t easy to do.

It is easy to understand the rule set but difficult to execute all of it.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from snowy_owl:

Yes, barren playfield.

Quoted from Krupps4:

I know people point yo the barren playfield,

Quoted from parsonsaj:

surprisingly fun in spite of the barrenness (at least I did!).

I don't really get the barren argument. It has 3 pops, 4 ramps, 3 flippers, drops, 2 spinners, the expression lighting. I really don't think it has significantly more or less than other Sterns for the same level. I think this stems from the fact that the major mech is below the playfield some of the time and the ramps don't cross over in the middle of the playfield or have loops.

I like the game a lot and is an A-list band. Is this Stern's best game? Not for me as I like DP, Maiden, GZ, Beatles, ACDC, NST and probably others better. But it is a solid effort and I don't feel it sucks. I enjoy it more than BKSOR and Mandalorian both of which I've also had in my collection.

#53 2 years ago

Not a journey game because there is not a story or path to follow. The modes do a good job of mixing up the objectives(not repetitive) but without a story it is just checking off objectives while jamming out to awesome music. When I play Star Wars or Mando I am following a journey, and when I play LZ I am just enjoying playing and keeping the ball alive. Both are great but apples and oranges.

I will say Led Zeppelin is not an easy game-Neither is TNA. The upper ramp shot is near impossible to hit(more frustrating than Gem shot) and it is a fast flowing game that requires quick action to avoid drains.

I feel if you like TNA-you will like LZ(if that makes sense?)

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

To be honest, I’m kind of Marveled out. Part of my interest in Zep is that it’s a value play today. I think I could pick a Premium up for $6500 or so.

Gotcha. I’m a little marveled out too.

I see your value play, and fully agree.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

1.12 was released yesterday.

Thanks CW.I’m going to wait on the reviews first .I’ll read up .

#56 2 years ago

Watch the tutorial on youtube from raydaypinball

#57 2 years ago

I did not enjoy LZ at all. I personally prefer a more loaded playfield and believe that it was the final straw for Stern having Steve Ritchie as a designer. His last three games were AAA titles (Star Wars, Original Title BKSOR, LZ) but his designs made them uninspired, tired and mediocre at best. To make matters worse, a young up and coming designer Elwin has really taken the pinball community by storm with unique and different layouts. If you look at the pinball top 100, Elwin has 3 in the top 10 and all 4 are rated higher than Steve Ritchie's top rated game Star Trek. I don't really put too much stock in the pinball ratings but there has to be some truth to them. Yes there are savings on buying a LZ or BKSOR compared to say an Elwin game but you get less in my honest opinion and when you sell, you sell for less too.

#58 2 years ago

This is a rough opinion, but I sold my avengers pro before my LZ pro. Avengers should have been amazing and I know it’s a great game, but the fun factor was not there.

Lz should not be as fun as it is. The layout is pretty boring, the art sucks, but the rules, sound, and lighting(I have the expression kit) are great and really make it a good time. Tim sexton made this game what it is, not Steve “phone it in” Ritchie.

Led Zeppelin is a very underrated game and the pro is even more underrated. The electric magic spinner is cool but not worth the extra 2k+. After playing the game awhile you’ll see that you might hit the upper flipper shot successfully 5ish times in a good game. It gives you the same rewards and experience in both games. Is a 1ft section of wireform really that game changing to say the pro is shit but the premium/le is great?

I genuinely don’t mind if people hate the game or the pro, I just know I’ve got a one hell of a fun game for 5k.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

To be honest, I’m kind of Marveled out. Part of my interest in Zep is that it’s a value play today. I think I could pick a Premium up for $6500 or so.

In this market, that’s a no brainer imo.

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Thanks CW.I’m going to wait on the reviews first .I’ll read up .

Just save the old code and go back if needed. Be the reviewer!

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

We've all been there. I actually considered Transformers LE again. However there's a reason they're priced the way they are.

Zep is the band that got me into rock, but the pin design is probably the least inspired of all music pins. The rules are great for tournaments. It's not a quest at all. So if you like that thing you'd like it.

#62 2 years ago

You won’t get one for 6500 though .The last few used I seen or heard of went low 7s.It’s for sure on the way up .I think most people that bashed it either never have played it or maybe played a couple games only and it is brutal until you get the feel for it . The distros have the NIBs listed at 9 going forward .Your right though ,it’s the best deal going right now but not for long is my thinking .

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

You won’t get one for 6500 though

I know someone asking $6900 and it’s sat for a while.

#64 2 years ago

My LZ Premium is the game I play the most in my collection. EM Frenzy multiball is my favorite multiball in all of pinball. Building up the multiplier without accidentally starting it at the wrong time is challenging and very satisfying when you pull it off. I installed the pinwoofer kit and an exterior sub which really helps the overall experience.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Funny we look at 7k for a used prem as being “a deal” now .My second pin was a IMDN prem for 6400 just a couple years ago lmao .

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

You still won’t get one for 6500.

The people who really think it sucks…they don’t own one. Most of them never owned one. For most of them, LZ has only ever existed as an excuse to use the word “barren!!!!” Or to compare it to JJP games.

therefore there’s not a lot of panicked sellers at this point.

#67 2 years ago

I might be caving to my kids and trade it for something they want now.If I do ,I’ll be hunting for a LE later in the year as I happen to love the artwork on it as time has passed and this is a long time keeper for me .I’ve been working way too much to buy the handful I have the last 2 years. I need a break and stick to one job until summer .This hobby is crazy

#68 2 years ago

I would not say the LZ game "sucks that bad", but it did not grab me as a must have game, or even as "it's a nice game to visit" machine. It simply did not do anything for me and if I have a choice if it is in a lineup, I'd probably spend my money on other games.

And of course there will be those who say, once you know the rules, understand the complexities, it is a good game. Maybe. But much like hearing about shows where it is necessary to watch until episode 86 for the story to get good, no thanks, I'll pass.

In contrast, when AC/DC came out (another Steve Ritchie music game), I knew first play I would have to own that pin and I still enjoy that game.

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You still won’t get one for 6500.
The people who really think it sucks…they don’t own one. Most of them never owned one. For most of them, LZ has only ever existed as an excuse to use the word “barren!!!!” Or to compare it to JJP games.
therefore there’s not a lot of panicked sellers at this point.

Agree 100%.I love LZ the band and fell into that BS when it was released as I was new to this .I play that more than any other game since I got it .From here on out if pinside goes right I’m taking a long look at going left lmao

#70 2 years ago

You guys are silly, if you enjoy actually playing pinball LZ is great fun. If your enjoyment stems from watching your pin do stuff (mechs, etc) definitely move along. It’s pretty much as simple as that.

It’s not a top 10 game but only 10 can be so that’s to be expected with most games.

#71 2 years ago

I'm one month into a three month rental of the pro.

Read the negative comments about the barren layout and simplistic ruleset. Decided to give it a shot anyway.

Not only am I really enjoying it but my friends love it as well. It's a refreshing change of pace form other pins.

Look, I get the criticism...it's no Godzilla. But it is a game that is easy to learn and super flowy and for that, my family, friends and I are really enjoying it.

#72 2 years ago

I have a premium and really enjoy it. I had a pro before I moved up to this one. The game has a ton going on with really fun rules and code. It has nice flow and lots of combo options. Electric Magic Frenzy is a really fantastic mode with great sounds and lightshow.

Everyone has their own opinions for sure, but for me LZ is Ritchie's best stern game. Just ahead of Star Trek. Better than AC/DC, GoT, SM, BKSoR. I really dig all those games too. Folks willing to give the game an honest shot will likely have a different view apart from the collective hive type opinions that get going around here. That happened with BKSoR and Stranger Things.

#73 2 years ago

Love the game, Its a dream theme. Game shoots like AFM and has fantastic code. Premium and LE are the way to go with added main mech toy, ramp and added features and lights and modes in code. Pro has nothing and would not even consider. It has an added code feature that is selectable at start of game similar to the Jurassic Park start wiz mode. It's very cool. There is something for everybody in this hobby. I dislike Mando and sold within a few weeks, Did not like the constant center shot and the upper PF integration was poor IMO and code was non inspiring. Get a Zeppelin, it's a solid game and a sleeper hit.

#74 2 years ago

Own LZ LE. Just got GNR LE Less is way more. Playing LZ 3x more

Smooth, satisfying shots. Purist pinball.

#75 2 years ago

Have Premium, Love it !

#76 2 years ago

I have the LE and I don’t have much to add that hasn’t been said except that I really like the code. There’s always 3 multiballs that can pop up at pretty much any point in the game for you to chase. I feel like there’s always something to do and be working towards. I was playing Iron Maiden yesterday, and while it’s a great game, and I’m less familiar with it, there were a couple of times I was standing there asking myself what to do next.

#77 2 years ago

I have only played a couple of games on an LE but I really liked LZ. If I were a bigger fan of the music I would probably want to own one. Just felt fun to shoot.

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

I received a GnR CE and LZ LE within two weeks of each other... I have about a 3 to 1 play ratio going as well.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

As I always say, BKSoR is empty, but if you have a lot of money, you get two empty PFs.

I don’t know where this idea comes from. BKSoR Pro has 3 drops, a magnet, and a giant interactive toy. What recent Pro has a toy as interactive as the black knight?

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

I don’t know where this idea comes from. BKSoR Pro has 3 drops, a magnet, and a giant interactive toy. What recent Pro has a toy as interactive as the black knight?

Closest thing would be Stanger things with the demogorgon but SOR is way better.

#81 2 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

Best way to put it purist pinball doesn’t need the fluff. I own both as well and LZ is played far more. GNR is good too but for all the non pinball reasons, just not the best shooter.

#82 2 years ago

LZ is never going to win any art accolades. In fact the game has nothing to do with the theme- Stern could’ve done any theme name on there. What it does have (prem/LE), is a really good shooting game, with some pretty cool lighting. So, if you want a good shooting game LZ is the way to go. I will take flow, over a stop and start game, just about any time.

#83 2 years ago

My wife and I enjoyed the Pro on location at a bar. It's the pro artwork that's a big turnoff for me.

#84 2 years ago

No, LZ is a good pin. I originally wrote the game off based on pictures alone but when I finally got a chance to play one (an LE) I had a blast playing it. LZ is a lot of fun to play, hitting that pop up spinner never gets old. My only complaint with the game comes down to value, for the price there should be more in the game in terms of features / mech but that's just my opinion.

#85 2 years ago

The pro could have been made in 1989 as a system 11 incorporating a CD player and the gameplay experience would be exactly the same.

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

The pro could have been made in 1989 as a system 11 incorporating a CD player and the gameplay experience would be exactly the same.

The fax machine is just a toaster with a telephone attached!!!

#87 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The fax machine is just a toaster with a telephone attached!!!

You got it backwards. You know the fax machine is older than the toaster?

#88 2 years ago

it doesn't suck... but too many others are better - unless you love the band and buying it for the music.. or unless you have over 15 pins maybe.. - the pro does suck though

#89 2 years ago

When you get 4 trade offers of zep premiums toward the game you just listed for sale all In two days in a local forum you know the game sucks.

The game sucks.

It just does.

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

LZ is never going to win any art accolades. In fact the game has nothing to do with the theme- Stern could’ve done any theme name on there. What it does have (prem/LE), is a really good shooting game, with some pretty cool lighting. So, if you want a good shooting game LZ is the way to go. I will take flow, over a stop and start game, just about any time.

I actually dig the art, fits the band perfectly. Their album art wasn’t exactly exciting and their videos of the band the same with exception of the celebration day concert video. Color palette reeks of vintage 1970’s, only thing missing is some smoke and stale beer aromas!

#91 2 years ago

Had a Pro for a few months, then an LE. Prem/LE are good. I'd put it those somewhere in the middle of the pack among LCD era games. And I love Zep, so obviously that goes a long way. But the Pro towards the bottom of that pack. The EM spinner is fun as hell and the centerpiece of the game and is missing in the Pro. Also, while the upper flipper to cross-wireform shot on the Prem/LE is hardly the most fun or reliable shot in the world, the Pro version's little alleyway to a standup is awful, not fun. Not to mention the light show on Prem/LE makes it look that much different. Really one of the biggest differences out there between Pro and Prem/LE, it's almost a different game.

#92 2 years ago

Never played it, but damn that repetetive Premium and LE translite/cabinet artwork is pure shite.

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from WODKA:

Never played it, but damn that repetetive Premium and LE translite/cabinet artwork is pure shite.

That is why this translite was made.

5164A0C8-8E02-4096-8FFE-B39B5E4A7B58 (resized).jpeg5164A0C8-8E02-4096-8FFE-B39B5E4A7B58 (resized).jpeg
#94 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

That is why this translite was made.[quoted image]

Now thats something! who made it?

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from WODKA:

Now thats something! who made it?

Pinstein is selling them. He is on ebay too.

Probably one of the best translite I’ve seen. Vibrant color and art matches perfectly with backlight on or off.

#96 2 years ago

I own a premium and absolutely love the game. I can't imagine getting rid of it at this point.

My personal history with this game goes like this:

I was never a Led Zeppelin fan, my wife is however. When LZ was announced I'd only had my Sopranos since it was NIB way back in 2005. I wanted another game but had to go about it the right way to convince the wife to get on board. So LZ was the perfect excuse to get the okay from the Mrs. for another pin. I received my LZ last April. To be honest for the first few months I hated it and cursed it, couldn't believe I "wasted" over $7,000 on it. But I just didn't have the shots down yet or understand the rules. LZ and I didn't have a honeymoon period.

Once I got the shots down and started to understand the rules I started to fall in love with the game. The wife enjoyed LZ so much that LZ gave me the okay to buy my Star Wars and most recently my Jurassic Park. What I enjoy most about this game is that it has truly satisfying shots and clear rules. The wizard modes while being far from easy are attainable (I've only reached a mini-wizard once so far). LZ has that special quality of being a "just one more" game. I catch myself very often rocking out to the music and realizing that I have a grin from ear to ear while playing. Electric Magic Frenzy is one of the most kick ass, exciting, fun modes in all of pinball.

At this point our LZ premium isn't going anywhere. When we have guests over everyone gravitates to LZ, it gets the most attention of all of the games in our collection.

While I'd be hard pressed to say the same about an LZ pro, I can say with confidence that LZ premium/LE is far from a "sucky" game.

#97 2 years ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

I own a premium and absolutely love the game. I can't imagine getting rid of it at this point.
My personal history with this game goes like this:
I was never a Led Zeppelin fan, my wife is however. When LZ was announced I'd only had my Sopranos since it was NIB way back in 2005. I wanted another game but had to go about it the right way to convince the wife to get on board. So LZ was the perfect excuse to get the okay from the Mrs. for another pin. I received my LZ last April. To be honest for the first few months I hated it and cursed it, couldn't believe I "wasted" over $7,000 on it. But I just didn't have the shots down yet or understand the rules. LZ and I didn't have a honeymoon period.
Once I got the shots down and started to understand the rules I started to fall in love with the game. The wife enjoyed LZ so much that LZ gave me the okay to buy my Star Wars and most recently my Jurassic Park. What I enjoy most about this game is that it has truly satisfying shots and clear rules. The wizard modes while being far from easy are attainable (I've only reached a mini-wizard once so far). LZ has that special quality of being a "just one more" game. I catch myself very often rocking out to the music and realizing that I have a grin from ear to ear while playing. Electric Magic Frenzy is one of the most kick ass, exciting, fun modes in all of pinball.
At this point our LZ premium isn't going anywhere. When we have guests over everyone gravitates to LZ, it gets the most attention of all of the games in our collection.
While I'd be hard pressed to say the same about an LZ pro, I can say with confidence that LZ premium/LE is far from a "sucky" game.

TLDR: The LZ placates my wife while I buy 2 machines that I really want to play.

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I just tried to grab this last night and it was gone. Doh! 6900 for Zepp premium is awesome value!

#99 2 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

I just tried to grab this last night and it was gone. Doh! 6900 for Zepp premium is awesome value!

I know and it wasn’t me who bought it!

#100 2 years ago

The dreams of the 6500 zep premlum have evaporated like a fart in the wind!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 65.99
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-led-zep-really-suck-that-bad/page/2?hl=schaitas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.