(Topic ID: 24038)

Does JP have a service menu to test individual coils?

By Foz

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Foz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

A couple of days ago I picked up a JP.
The game is really entertaining, but boy was it dirty.
After giving the playfield a good wipe,
the machine no longer feels like kicking balls up from the cabinet ball rail to the plunger,
hence no game can take off.
When starting a new game, it does move a ball from the ball rail to the VUK, but nothing happens after that.

Since it was working perfectly before, it's probably just a wire that has come off.
But finding which one is proving to be impossible.

My LOTR has a great service menu, allowing you to test every single coil.
The JP menu is still a maze to me, so I was hoping somebody could point
me in the right direction; is it possible to test every coil via the service menu,
or is there another smart way to find out what's wrong?

Thanks a mil!

#2 11 years ago

Did you lift the playfield and look at the wiring to the coil.

To test the coils, READ THE MANUAL, Page 30...it's available at ipdb if you don't have a hard copy...

#3 11 years ago

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. The first thing I did was lift the playfield, to inspect everything.
The wires are good, and the coils have the correct amount of resistance so they aren't shorted.

The only option I found in the menu was an automated test,
which cycles very quickly through all coils and switches. That's far from practical.
I was looking for something that would let me fire every coil individually from the menu,
and guide me through possible faults when a coil doesn't fire.

#4 11 years ago

If you got to that test mode then you should be able to find the one your looking for. There is a mode that lets you select the coiil you want and fire it when you want. The mode is called Coil Select or something similar and you use the flippers to select the coil you want. Which is why Tom is telling you to look in the manual. You can find every option available to you in the service menu, including what that option does, and how to navigate it. As he said, the manual is available for free at ipdb.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1343/Data_East_1993_Jurassic_Park_Manual.pdf

#5 11 years ago

Foz, if you got to the coil cycle test then you're in the right place. Just navigate further along the Diagnostic menu, past the T-Rex diagnostics and I think past the light tests and you get to the coil test. From memory the first test mode cycles the coils and the mode immediately after this is the Coil Test where you use the flipper buttons to select the coil and the Start button to activate it.

Perhaps you missed it by whizzing right past it. Navigate through the Diagnostic modes slowly and you'll find it

Have you checked that the trough VUK switch on this coil is sitting under the seat correctly? After cleaning the subway VUK a month back I forgot to place the switch wire under the seat and it wasn't activating when a ball sat on it. If it's positioned correctly then try the switch test, and see if this switch is working OK.

#6 11 years ago

You have to use the Start button to navigate into the diagnostics, you cannot just use the coin door buttons.

#7 11 years ago

Huh … I just use the coin door buttons. Start button toggles the options that are navigated to using the coin door buttons.

On startup with the white button depressed, pressing the green button enters Diagnostic mode, and each press of the green button moves to the next mode. Diagnostic mode navigation is one-way only.

With the white button not depressed, pressing the green button enters Audits & Adjustments mode. When in this mode, each press of the green button while the white button isn't depressed moves to the next mode. Each press of the green button while the white button is depressed moves to the previous mode.

So the white button acts as a forward/backward navigation toggle but only in Audits and Adjustments. Diagnostic mode goes only forwards regardless of whether or not the white button is depressed or not.

Perhaps this behaviour changed with newer ROMs, mine is still on the stock ROM.

#8 11 years ago

Thanks accidental, that was exactly what I was looking for.
One of the buttons doesn't respond very well, and requires a long / harder push
As it turned out, this causes it to jump over several menu options at times.
But I found it.

The coil doesn't fire, the switch that detects that a ball is in place does work.
I've spent 3 hours yesterday measuring every single thing with a multimeter,
so far I haven't been able to pinpoint the problem.
And I thought this was going to be an easy fix

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-jp-have-a-service-menu-to-test-individual-coils and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.