(Topic ID: 330430)

does James Bond 007 scratch its glass above the Aston Martin?

By NewFloridian

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Haymaker
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

We got our James Bond 007 LE machine from Stern today (we ordered in the mad scramble back in September 2022) and a professional installed it. There is a scratch on the underside of the glass, exactly where the ball comes up from the Aston Martin. I am wondering if this got scratched during Stern's own check-out plays and if it is inevitable given the design of the game. Fellow owners: Do you have a similar under-side scratched area?

(In case anyone is curious, the other problems we've noticed after about 10 balls: (1) the shooter was misaligned such that it imparted only a feeble kick to the ball. Even if pulled back all the way, the ball wouldn't even go into the playfield. The installer took it apart twice and realigned it and now it works as expected; (2) the ball return just below the flippers might be mounted at the wrong angle. My very first ball drained into the ball return and didn't move after that. The machine responded to this by kicking everything, thinking that the ball was stuck somewhere. The ball came loose when I jostled the machine. This happened 2 or 3 times in just 10 balls.)

First impressions of the game: (a) one ball spent about 10 seconds among the pop bumpers near the top and emerged headed straight for the center drain; not a great ball when you don't get to do anything other than pull back the plunger, (b) it needs a lot more variety in the music. Playing the James Bond theme over and over and over won't work. In the movies the theme returns every 20 or 30 minutes, right? And it is when Bond is doing something impressive. You don't hear the theme if he is just walking around, going into a restaurant, etc.

Thanks in advance for any answers. The software is currently updating to 0.84 (came with 0.70). If anyone has questions about the machine I would be happy to try to answer!

#2 1 year ago

Mine came with scratched glass above the Aston Martin and a scratched Aston Martin roof.

#3 1 year ago

Let me add that I think Senior Management in our household will appreciate that the configuration pages allow for "adult content" to be suppressed (the boys are 7 and 9 and won't be ready to watch a James Bond movie until they're 21 or maybe older, according to their mom). Also, I tried out the game this morning with the 0.84 software. It still plays the Bond theme over and over and over and over, but it stopped.... when the machine completely crashed (flippers disabled, playfield dark, "initializing" screen on the TV). I've never seen a pinball machine hard-crash like this. I guess that's why it is not tagged 1.0 or greater!

#4 1 year ago

Mine does, don't recall if it came that way or not, I bet the metal wire form is hitting it everytime the ball pops up

#5 1 year ago

It's pretty hard to scratch tempered glass!

This problem: (1) the shooter was misaligned such that it imparted only a feeble kick to the ball. Even if pulled back all the way, the ball wouldn't even go into the playfield. The installer took it apart twice and realigned it and now it works as expected

I've seen in a lot of NIB Sterns lately, clearly they need to revisit their assembly and QA practices for the shooter.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from NewFloridian:

Let me add that I think Senior Management in our household will appreciate that the configuration pages allow for "adult content" to be suppressed (the boys are 7 and 9 and won't be ready to watch a James Bond movie until they're 21 or maybe older, according to their mom). Also, I tried out the game this morning with the 0.84 software. It still plays the Bond theme over and over and over and over, but it stopped.... when the machine completely crashed (flippers disabled, playfield dark, "initializing" screen on the TV). I've never seen a pinball machine hard-crash like this. I guess that's why it is not tagged 1.0 or greater!

Yes, the game is in the very early stages of code. This is well documented. It will progress over time and hopefully round out into a decent machine. Right now, its very lacking.

I have not seen the scratched glass on the pro or premium models at my local watering hole or when I played them at expo.

#7 1 year ago

Let me add that I think Senior Management in our household will appreciate that the configuration pages allow for "adult content" to be suppressed (the boys are 7 and 9 and won't be ready to watch a James Bond movie until they're 21 or maybe older, according to their mom).

Maybe older than 21 for a commercial movie that came out 60 years ago? Admittedly I haven’t watched Dr No in a long time but I don’t recall nudity or vulgar/crude humor.

I’m not telling you how to raise your kids; just didn’t remember it being an “adult” flick

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from DK:

Maybe older than 21 for a commercial movie that came out 60 years ago? Admittedly I haven’t watched Dr No in a long time but I don’t recall nudity or vulgar/crude humor.
I’m not telling you how to raise your kids; just didn’t remember it being an “adult” flick

Compared to a lot of modern video games it would get a G rating.

#9 1 year ago

Guys who say that kids can be exposed to James Bond: our household operates under a "one woman, one vote" system for all important decisions. (i.e., my opinion is not solicited nor relevant)

#10 1 year ago

My LE delivered a few weeks ago was also scratched on the glass under the Aston Martin. Ramp isn't hitting either. Maybe it came this way or happened at factory. Regardless I can't get it off. Minor nuisance and can barely see it if you look.

#11 1 year ago

. (i.e., my opinion is not solicited nor relevant)

The most common word for this phrase is marriage

2 weeks later
#12 1 year ago

Update: I've played this about 20 more times since writing the above "first impressions" and am enjoying the game much more now that I'm less incompetent at it. For less-than-professional players I think it makes sense to set the machine up for at least 5 balls/game because there are a lot of ways to drain. I'm sure that it will be better once the code is finished, but the only way that I will see all of the modes is if I bump up the number of balls to 10 per game!

#13 1 year ago

Update: I've played this about 20 more times since writing the above "first impressions" and am enjoying the game much more now that I'm less incompetent at it. For less-than-professional players I think it makes sense to set the machine up for at least 5 balls/game because there are a lot of ways to drain. I'm sure that it will be better once the code is finished, but the only way that I will see all of the modes is if I bump up the number of balls to 10 per game!

Its your game and you can do what you want, but setting up any modern game for 5 ball play is blasphemy in my opinion. Also, I'm far from professional and I've seen pretty much everything in the game a few times (maybe theres a thing or two from the latest update I haven't seen yet, not sure) on 3 ball play, on location. Would be very easy in a home environment. Again, do whatever you want, but you should really be playing 3 ball games and you can improve your skill playing the game as its meant to be played.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 425.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 14.95
$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 59.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Print2pin

$ 269.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 17.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

11,500 (Firm)
$ 385.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Playfield - Plastics
The Electric Playground

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 14.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-james-bond-007-scratch-its-glass-above-the-aston-martin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.