(Topic ID: 195588)

Does it makes sense to specialize collection in a certain generation?

By volcanolotus

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dsmoke1986
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider butterflygirl24.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from volcanolotus:

I'm thinking about becoming a pinball owner, but looking for advice from some people with more experience.
    I'm looking at solid state machines, mostly from last century, and debating whether it makes sense to pick a certain generation and focus on the games within it rather than just buying my absolute favorites regardless. I know that there ARE benefits to specializing - overlap in parts, similar schematics, etc. - but what I don't know is how big of a difference it makes in the real world.
    I guess what I'm asking is, is Whitestar vs System 3 vs WPC more like, say, PC vs Mac in terms of hardware, or is it more like Ford vs Subaru vs Lotus? How often (and in what ways) are the board/part overlaps beneficial? And how close does it have to be for knowledge transfer/material overlap to benefit - are WPC-S pretty much the same as WPC-95? What about those two compared to System 11, or the later DE boards that borrowed a lot from System 11?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It is a benefit if you are going to have a large collection. At one time I had a complete "set" of early SS Williams pins. I had all the system 6 and all the system 7 games, as well as the system 9s (all 3). The ability to swap boards and parts between games is helpful in getting games running, or if you have multiple games at a show and something breaks down...you have spares to get them back up and running again. I didn't start out collecting just that system to begin with...it was more I wanted 1 Williams game from every year in the 80's (because that's what I grew up playing in the arcades)...but after the first couple I was hooked and couldn't stop! (You know what they say about can't have just 1!) Anyway I say that if you are going to have a large collection it is beneficial to have multiples of a specific system. On the other hand...as someone mentioned before variety is the spice of life! I have since traded a few games off to add some DMDs and even sold some to get first NIB for hubby for his birthday (2013 MET). but our collection is still early Williams SS heavy and that isn't going to change much except for I will get some that I have in storage awaiting restore finished and back in the lineup...They still hold the same appeal that they did originally. Still love them but also enjoy the variety that we currently have in our collection.

Phoebe

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

What Phoebe said.
    But then I missed the variety. So then you get stupid and realize you love just about everything.
    When you are at stage 4 of the disease all common sense is out the window. As well as a lot of furniture.

Ahhh come on Shrek man!!! Don't go telling everyone that we're past stage 5....in the hobby/disease!! I wasn't going to mention that all my furniture is in storage or gone...and I have pins in every room!! LOL!! And yeah I have branched out I have Williams, Bally, old and new Stern along with Gottlieb, and Zac. but I still prefer working on the old SS Williams...

Phoebe

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider butterflygirl24.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-it-makes-sense-to-specialize-collection-in-a-certain-generation?tu=butterflygirl24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.