(Topic ID: 195588)

Does it makes sense to specialize collection in a certain generation?

By volcanolotus

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by dsmoke1986
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr_Dude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 2 years ago

Absolutely, from a maintenance perspective, having games that are all similar in terms of HW is a tremendous benefit (assuming you are doing your own repairs). Boards and other parts can be swapped between games, either to keep one game going at the expense of another, or as part of the diagnosis process. Additionally, over time, you will acquire deep expertise in the quirks of a specific generation of games since that is what you are concentrating on.

Personally, I like the early Bally and Stern SS games, as the boards between these two manufacturers are largely compatible (some differences in the MPU, but nothing that can't be adapted), and that minimizes the stock of parts and boards I have to keep around. That doesn't mean I'm not tempted to own a Williams or a Gottlieb (I do own a project Black Hole, and would like to find a Solar Fire someday), but by buying mostly Bally and Stern, I've reduced my costs a lot, and also learned_ a lot!

#27 2 years ago

Lots of people saying "collect what you enjoy" and ignore the platform. Collecting pins that you enjoy is never bad advice, but I'd say that ignoring the platform is sensible advice ONLY for folk that don't have the skills or inclination to doing their own repairs. The best way for a novice to develop pinball repair Skillz is to work for a while on one platform. It may be classic Stern/Bally, it may be Williams System 7, or whatever, but if you have more than one machine of a specific HW generation, you will_ learn some pretty advanced techniques for maintaining/repairing that HW. If a hot soldering-iron is not your thrill, then by all means, don't even think about the HW and go for the titles that thrill you. Otherwise, focusing on a specific platform will have two advantages: One, you will get pretty good at repairing your own games; Two, you'll discover some "sleeper" titles buried down amongst the more popular titles, games that you'd never played before, but turn out to be pretty damned amazing!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 28.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 150.00
    Various Other Swag
    Test item Out of stock
    Pinside Shop
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    £ 58.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr_Dude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside